Danny Hurley to the Lakers ?? | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Danny Hurley to the Lakers ??

6/70 tells me the Lakers were not serious about it.

Yeah, I mean, c'mon!!
Just shy of $12 million a year = totally not serious.

Quote I Am Serious GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

I hope the Lakers hire JJ. I'd love to see how that one would turn out. Hire a dude that has a podcast and does tv commentary, buddy of Lebron, and next to zero coaching experience. It has all the makings of being really successful.
As a Lakers fan...my biggest nightmare. The front office has been a disaster since Dr. Buss died.

Yeah, I mean, c'mon!!
Just shy of $12 million a year = totally not serious.

Quote I Am Serious GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

If the Lakers thought that offer would get him to leave UConn and the East Coast then they are either stupid or like I said not serious.

I too wonder if LBJ's presence is not as attractive to coaches at this stage of the game. He's still great but he's never been one to take blame and is quick to find scapegoats. That and the Lakers MO of going cheap on coaches.....not enough to make Hurley jump.

My point, which went entirely over your head, is that a guy's reputation can change quicker than you think.

I understand your point... but you know that's a terrible comparison/example to use.

The best coach in college basketball going to the NBA is not the same as top-25-assistant(?) getting their first HC job and failing lol.

If Hurley went to the NBA and failed miserably, he is getting a college HC job with no issues whatsoever

UConn can keep their coach from the Lakers and we're worried about Fran Brown leaving before he coaches a game. Imagine recruiting kids and telling them you turned the Lakers down. Boy I'm waiting for this falling into obscurity that was predicted.

I’m surprised how public this entire thing has been. It sure isn’t for the Laker’s benefit. Other great college coaches have been approached to coach in the NBA and turned them down but it was much more secretive- heck- even Coach K was approached by the Lakers, amongst many other NBA suitors, but it was kept much more behind the scenes than this public fiasco. I imagine this publicity only helps Danny Hurley, UConn, not the Lakers. Just found it all interesting.

Makes sense. Why go to the nba where guys won’t listen to you. These guys are primadonnas. This isn’t the nhl where guys will actually listen to a coach.
I don't know why that's the assumption. There are 30 NBA coaches and a multiple number of assistants who are enjoying their work and wouldn't take college jobs if offered. There are two coaches in the finals right now. Whether or not their players are listening to them, they're in the NBA finals.

And with the way NIL works now, i'm not seeing much difference in the 'maturity/coachability' between 30 year old pros with 100 million dollar contracts and the 18-year old with a million dollars in NIL. Especially if the kid doesn't have a contract to live up to or a 'next year' obligation. It's a challenge either way.

I don’t think he’s taking the Lakers job

He’s from NJ and his family is still there.
His wife loves the East Coast and didn’t even want to leave NJ for the URI job when he was there. He has things humming at UCONN and has a pretty comfortable gig. I don’t think his personality would translate well in the Pro game. Hurley is a nut and a huge control freak/micromanager. Which works well in the college game obviously. Different ball game in the pros and the guys on the team would get sick of it realllll quick.

I think he’s back at UConn. Would be pretty surprised if he left
Rhode Island isn't LA!
I spent my first 48 years on the east coast. Loved NYC. Then i moved to LA and SD. Would not move back.

I'm a bit surprised he's staying. Especially because he wasn't a UConn alum/player. Tremendous success there, but it's 'just a job,' and Storrs doesn't seem like an ultimate destination, regardless of that success.

such a poor look by the Lakers especially with the number leaked out. You can just tell they operate as a mom and pop shop. Them not offering even more salary than Monty Williams in Detroit is all I needed to read, they weren't serious

Its hard to turn down a 6m plus a year raise
I think he is smart. I think winning and being a millionaire makes him happier than mediocrity and being a bigger millionaire. The guy is the King of CT

I think he is smart. I think winning and being a millionaire makes him happier than mediocrity and being a bigger millionaire. The guy is the King of CT

Agreed. Posted something similar the other day.

These high end college coaches also have more security than professional coaches. Plus, I'm assuming that DH is already quite financially secure, so while money is a motivator, maybe less so in this case?

I’m surprised how public this entire thing has been. It sure isn’t for the Laker’s benefit. Other great college coaches have been approached to coach in the NBA and turned them down but it was much more secretive- heck- Coach K was approached by the Lakers, amongst many others but it was kept much more behind the scenes than this public fiasco. I imagine this publicity only helps Danny Hurley, UConn, not the Lakers. Just found it all interesting.

Helps Danny Hurley and helped Woj. The latter who has become a straight PR vehicle for certain agents and front offices.

UConn looks fine. They got their guy back.

Lakers look bad.

Want to say something about ESPN as well - Woj obviously works for them. He put this out there. It gives them content for a week or whatever it was as all their talking heads give it oxygen. And it's just part of their sub-par NBA coverage (which, I get, they *have* to have NBA programming outside of the games), but it has never been better than mediocre.

Building on that:

UConn can keep their coach from the Lakers and we're worried about Fran Brown leaving before he coaches a game. Imagine recruiting kids and telling them you turned the Lakers down. Boy I'm waiting for this falling into obscurity that was predicted.
people are worried about fran leaving? What?

Hurley (I don't dream of Jeannie) stayin home and getting a hefty raise..Jeannie Bust, ooops I mean Buss low balled and lost. Wrong time of year to be California dreaming anyway. The Lakers? Well they are the Lakers. The Magic has been gone a long long time.

I don't know why that's the assumption. There are 30 NBA coaches and a multiple number of assistants who are enjoying their work and wouldn't take college jobs if offered. There are two coaches in the finals right now. Whether or not their players are listening to them, they're in the NBA finals.

And with the way NIL works now, i'm not seeing much difference in the 'maturity/coachability' between 30 year old pros with 100 million dollar contracts and the 18-year old with a million dollars in NIL. Especially if the kid doesn't have a contract to live up to or a 'next year' obligation. It's a challenge either way.

Would a player demanding a specific car count a primadonna behavior?

seems like he just cant give up the east coast with fam ties

He stays at UConn, wins a couple more rings, he's a god.
He goes to the Lakers and washes out after a few years, he'll have to start over somewhere else with no guarantees of similar success.
The money will help ease his pain if he fails, but the job he has now is for life.

Would a player demanding a specific car count a primadonna behavior?
As part of a NIL package? I don't see why it would.
Is that different from adding $75k to the monetary sum?

I'm asking, too. In this age, i don't know what 'prima donna' means, because it's going to be based on context. I don't know what has become normalized for other players to ask for. And since they're all professionals, it also has to be contrasted vs NBA guys, no? And then contextualized again with the specific player vs his environment. If LeBron makes extreme requests because he's important to the Lakers, and Lampkin makes requests because he's important to the Orange, is that the same thing, or is the college kid not supposed to make requests because... he's 'only' in college?

You tell me. Please. No snark intended. You asked this presumably because you have a perspective, but i don't know which side you're on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom