Development in and Around Syracuse Discussion

Cusefan0307

Basketball Board pissing match observer
Pot calling the kettle...

How is that any different than grid advocates hoping the tunnel fails so they can test out their kumbaya and real estate theories (and the suburbanites-are-deplorable-and-don't-deserve-a say mantra)?
Never said suburbanites are deplorable. I live in the suburbs myself.

The people who continue to focus on the negative in Syracuse and upstate will never do anything to make Syracuse better. They will just complain. That's what I consistently see from the same group of people.

All I know is I've lived here going on 20 years and the city is night and day better from when I first moved here. Why is that?

maxxyz

2nd String
Pot calling the kettle...

How is that any different than grid advocates hoping the tunnel fails so they can test out their kumbaya and real estate theories (and the suburbanites-are-deplorable-and-don't-deserve-a say mantra)?
Who said suburbanites are deplorable? It’s just that the people who live in the city have a larger stake in the outcome of the project in terms of direct impact. Commute times for people who live west of the city and work south of the city is not in the top 5 questions of which plan is better.

FrancoPizza

2018 Iggy Leading Minutes Per Game Winner
Commute times for people who live west of the city and work south of the city is not in the top 5 questions of which plan is better.
I’d like to hear you say that in a bar full of truckers who currently have routes between the southern tier and western NY.

shandeezy7

All American
I’d like to hear you say that in a bar full of truckers who currently have routes between the southern tier and western NY.
Take 86/17 to 390 then. Or deal with the several extra miles to get from south of the city to west of the city. Don't a lot of truckers get paid by the mile anyway?

FrancoPizza

Take 86/17 to 390 then. Or deal with the several extra miles to get from south of the city to west of the city. Don't a lot of truckers get paid by the mile anyway?
This isn’t a taxi service. They get paid to get things delivered on time and under budget. Fuel costs add up quickly and those routes you suggest are not economical. They’d try to plow through skaneateles, Marcellus and auburn. I can understand why those towns would be livid.

longtimefan

All American
This isn’t a taxi service. They get paid to get things delivered on time and under budget. Fuel costs add up quickly and those routes you suggest are not economical. They’d try to plow through skaneateles, Marcellus and auburn. I can understand why those towns would be livid.
If their destination is Rochester, or anything west of there, I-86 to 390 is the way to go. And, based upon population concentrations, that's where they're most likely to be going.

shandeezy7

All American
We are talking less than 10 miles here. The economic impact of that is negligible.

maxxyz

2nd String
Proposed 283-unit apartment complex in Syracuse runs into opposition

For the record, I think the scale of this project is way out of whack for that area. I know there is not as much money to be made in going this route, but why not renovate the current homes and apartment building that stand there? Seems as if that would also be a cheaper investment.
I wish they would, but there would be 200 less apartments to sell, and the big money is in LUXURY. Its all about the extra amenities. I'm not sure what this places is planning to charge, but in the other new complexes they charge $1500 a month for one bedroom of a four bedroom suite. How many $6000 a month apartments are there in other parts of CNY ? If you're from NYC, Boston, Philly it may seem reasonable, but you could rent a really nice four bedroom house in Dewitt for half that.

The University area has been short on student apartments for forever, but it seems like there has to be a point soon where these luxury apartment complexes will be fighting hard to get the limited pool of tenants that can afford the price.

sutomcat

Former Iggy Winner. I used to be somebody special
Staff member
Proposed 283-unit apartment complex in Syracuse runs into opposition

For the record, I think the scale of this project is way out of whack for that area. I know there is not as much money to be made in going this route, but why not renovate the current homes and apartment building that stand there? Seems as if that would also be a cheaper investment.
I agree. A building that size is far out of place in that neighborhood. It is bad enough the building was built that replaced Sutter's and the other little businesses in that strip mall off Crouse. Sounds like a similar one is going up where Varsity Pizza has been for close to 100 years.

That area should not be filled with big, ugly buildings that wreck views and stand as confirmation Syracuse is the worst run city in the state. I am glad the city had the guts to turn down the proposal/ Scale it down, renovate existing buildings or build this elsewhere.

reedny

Hall of Fame / 44 Degrees of Consanguinity
Never said suburbanites are deplorable. I live in the suburbs myself.

The people who continue to focus on the negative in Syracuse and upstate will never do anything to make Syracuse better. They will just complain. That's what I consistently see from the same group of people.

All I know is I've lived here going on 20 years and the city is night and day better from when I first moved here. Why is that?
I will second that, 03. Until recently, I hadn't been to Syr downtown in years. After a FB game last fall, my wife and I went out with friends from the Fine Mess and the change was stunning. TONS of places to go and things to do, lots of people out. Vibrant is the word that comes to mind.

Edit: Tom/Cat might want to pin this and FCF thread. They're surviving well on their own but good to keep them there for easy reach - unless there are too many pins.

Last edited:

shandeezy7

All American
I wish they would, but there would be 200 less apartments to sell, and the big money is in LUXURY. Its all about the extra amenities. I'm not sure what this places is planning to charge, but in the other new complexes they charge $1500 a month for one bedroom of a four bedroom suite. How many $6000 a month apartments are there in other parts of CNY ? If you're from NYC, Boston, Philly it may seem reasonable, but you could rent a really nice four bedroom house in Dewitt for half that.

The University area has been short on student apartments for forever, but it seems like there has to be a point soon where these luxury apartment complexes will be fighting hard to get the limited pool of tenants that can afford the price.
Especially considering that I believe the SU master plan is to have on-campus residency requirements for the majority of undergrads. It's the Wild West when it comes to housing for SU undergrads currently. But when that changes, I'm not sure how these mega-student housing complexes are going to survive. Hopefully the city isn't short-sighted when it comes to analyzing these proposed developments.

shandeezy7

All American
At what point is the state going to release the DEIS for 81? We were told early 2019 over a year ago. We are now in the 2nd quarter of the year. At some point movement needs to be made. It's getting quite ridiculous. They started studying this 10-15 years ago.
Right, and they initially said that the end of useful life of the elevated viaduct was 2017. Over 2 years ago! How safe does that make you feel?

In Today's Syracuse.com

Tech entrepreneurs: Choose community grid for a connected Syracuse (Your letters)

"To the Editor:

As the founders of Plowz & Mowz, Sidearm Sports, Spincar and TCGplayer, four of the fastest-growing technology companies in Central New York, we’re committed to the growth of downtown Syracuse. This commitment is evident in the significant investments we have made to establish new headquarters downtown and in the creation of hundreds of local jobs. As we continue to grow our companies, it is critical that we support the development of a vibrant community that offers mixed-use spaces, is walkable rather than car-centric, and is attractive to our workforce. Recent hires prefer to live and work in an urban, 21st century community that is connected and thriving. That’s why we’re confident that the community grid is the best choice for the future of Syracuse.

...We recognize that the community grid won’t solve all the challenges the city faces, but as members of the business community who want to grow and create desirable employment opportunities, we plan to do our part to support needed changes. The tech community is a willing partner to help craft solutions around modern transit, efficient lighting and enhanced tech-driven infrastructure...

OttoMets

Living Legend
In Today's Syracuse.com

Tech entrepreneurs: Choose community grid for a connected Syracuse (Your letters)

"To the Editor:

As the founders of Plowz & Mowz, Sidearm Sports, Spincar and TCGplayer, four of the fastest-growing technology companies in Central New York, we’re committed to the growth of downtown Syracuse. This commitment is evident in the significant investments we have made to establish new headquarters downtown and in the creation of hundreds of local jobs. As we continue to grow our companies, it is critical that we support the development of a vibrant community that offers mixed-use spaces, is walkable rather than car-centric, and is attractive to our workforce. Recent hires prefer to live and work in an urban, 21st century community that is connected and thriving. That’s why we’re confident that the community grid is the best choice for the future of Syracuse.

...We recognize that the community grid won’t solve all the challenges the city faces, but as members of the business community who want to grow and create desirable employment opportunities, we plan to do our part to support needed changes. The tech community is a willing partner to help craft solutions around modern transit, efficient lighting and enhanced tech-driven infrastructure...
On its face that's a "well, duh," but it's actually kind of a big deal. The TCGplayer founder was not a pro-grid guy until pretty recently.

That further strengthens the majority of major employers who are pro-grid. You know, the real business-people in the region, as opposed to the Mickey Mouse motel operators on Seventh North Street.

Last edited:
On its face that's a "well, duh," but it's actually kind of a big deal. The TCGplayer founder was not a pro-grid guy until pretty recently.

That further strengthens the majority of major employers who are pro-grid. You know, the real business-people in the region, as opposed to the Mickey Mouse motel operators on Seventh North Street.
along with the hospitals and the university, the biggest employers in the region.

continuing the conversation, not sure if anyone listened to Grant Reeher's interviews with both sides of the 81 debate. It's interesting to hear the individual reasons from each on the solution they chose.

You can find the replays here:

https://www.wrvo.org/programs/campbell-conversations-wrvo-1-npr-news

At what point is the state going to release the DEIS for 81? We were told early 2019 over a year ago. We are now in the 2nd quarter of the year. At some point movement needs to be made. It's getting quite ridiculous. They started studying this 10-15 years ago.
That's because the campaign contributions kept flowing in to try to influence the vote to the tunnel. Now that Pyramid and the mall are in financial trouble, there is no way in hell we ought to take on the engineering problems (and expense) of a tunnel.

Exactly! Once you take the Mall out of the equation, there is literally no case for keeping 81 going through the heart of the City. Every business on 7th North Street can be found in almost any other neighborhood of the City.

FrancoPizza

Exactly! Once you take the Mall out of the equation, there is literally no case for keeping 81 going through the heart of the City. Every business on 7th North Street can be found in almost any other neighborhood of the City.
Well to be fair that's like saying once you take the Dome out of the equation, there's literally no case for going to Marshall Street.

Top Bottom