Devito missed opportunities yesterday | Syracusefan.com

Devito missed opportunities yesterday

He def looks too uptight in the pocket, hopefully Dino and Sterlin get him to calm down and go thru his reads quicker.

This guy breaks it down pretty well...

There are a ton of plays like these last year as well. I am sure we can find many more from yesterday too. That 3rd and 3 is a head scratcher. He had two options of guys open and instead took a sack. I used to rewatch games and over analyze but now I try to avoid even reading tweets/posts like these as it only makes me more frustrated.

He doesn't recognize the opportunities. I truly think its things sped up in his brain. No way you miss all these opportunities routinely without it being mental. I think he feels the pocket collapsing (even when it isn't). He just needs to slow down and move through his progressions and feel the pocket and trust that your receivers will make a play for the ball or at least protect the ball. I was never a QB but in every sport I played I dealt with mental/confidence issues that would derail me big time. Mostly baseball. You get into a slump and stop swinging at pitches down the middle because you hesitate.

Good stuff. He needs to put more air on a good amount of his deep balls. Even the wide open dropped TD could have used a bit more touch, or air, but obviously that has to be caught. It was a tougher catch than it needed to be though. I hate even bringing that play up because it is on the WR, but having to track the ball over his shoulder, and adjust his body a bit is harder than it looks. Just little things like that make me think that he just doesn't have it. He will often throw a dart to his RB as well. That said, the receivers didn't help him out at all yesterday. And he did make some good throws that could have changed the game if caught.

Taj seemingly had chance after chance to make a much needed big play, and didn't come through. I don't know the answer, but something needs to change with this crop of wideouts. We really need a guy like Ish, Alec, Jackson, or Amba. Hell, even a Custis at this point. Someone has to step up. I did like a lot of what I saw from Queeley, and Nykeim. I think the talent is there. It's just a matter of finding it, and refining it. I have faith that enough guys will step up this year, and paint a better picture of what our core will be in the future.

Unfortunately, I don't have that same faith in Tommy anymore, and I think that I have been one of his biggest supporters. But, I believe he is what he is at this point. I don't think his issues are things that you can clean up with more time, and experience. Just don't see him being able to change significantly when it comes to his noggin. He can't handle pressure very well. If it's his first read, then he shows flashes of brilliance. Problem is that you never know if it will be accurate, or not. And if it's not there right away, then he's gonna roll to the right unable to see anything across the middle of the field, so it's a throw to the sideline, out of bounds, or a sack. I'm really hoping that I'm completely wrong on this one. Nothing would make me happier than Tommy forcing me to eat crow. At this point, I'd eat a literal crow for him to become what he has the physical tools to be.

I am really rooting for the kid, but after a few years, it seems like there are some mechanical lack of ability to look off primary targets and improvise well.

Twenty targets to Harris yesterday is just insane. Could that be by design? Suuure, but given last year we saw the heavy focus to Jackson, I am not so sure.

Loved his willingness to run yesterday.

Hardening back to when he spelled ED against Florida State, would love to see more screens, which he throws quick and on a rope.

This kid was manufactured to be special. He doesn’t have a great line at the moment, but hope he starts to street ball a little more. He has talent.

He has a really bad tendency to fade backwards when he feels pressure from the ends vs stepping up into the pocket. Then he compounds problems by throwing off his back foot. He has all the arm talent in the world... but something is missing.

I am really rooting for the kid, but after a few years, it seems like there are some mechanical lack of ability to look off primary targets and improvise well.

Twenty targets to Harris yesterday is just insane. Could that be by design? Suuure, but given last year we saw the heavy focus to Jackson, I am not so sure.

Loved his willingness to run yesterday.

Hardening back to when he spelled ED against Florida State, would love to see more screens, which he throws quick and on a rope.

This kid was manufactured to be special. He doesn’t have a great line at the moment, but hope he starts to street ball a little more. He has talent.
Wait 20???????

He has a really bad tendency to fade backwards when he feels pressure from the ends vs stepping up into the pocket. Then he compounds problems by throwing off his back foot. He has all the arm talent in the world... but something is missing.

I can understand his drifting back and to the right to buy time. (I don’t like it but it’s not his worst move IMO)

What I can’t abide are the serpentine Nunesian scrambles with his back to the LOS.

As some have suggested, I wish they’d let him sling it short upfield or wide WR screens.

He puts great zip on those short and intermediate distance throw and is very accurate.

Good stuff. He needs to put more air on a good amount of his deep balls. Even the wide open dropped TD could have used a bit more touch, or air, but obviously that has to be caught. It was a tougher catch than it needed to be though. I hate even bringing that play up because it is on the WR, but having to track the ball over his shoulder, and adjust his body a bit is harder than it looks. Just little things like that make me think that he just doesn't have it. He will often throw a dart to his RB as well. That said, the receivers didn't help him out at all yesterday. And he did make some good throws that could have changed the game if caught.

Taj seemingly had chance after chance to make a much needed big play, and didn't come through. I don't know the answer, but something needs to change with this crop of wideouts. We really need a guy like Ish, Alec, Jackson, or Amba. Hell, even a Custis at this point. Someone has to step up. I did like a lot of what I saw from Queeley, and Nykeim. I think the talent is there. It's just a matter of finding it, and refining it. I have faith that enough guys will step up this year, and paint a better picture of what our core will be in the future.

Unfortunately, I don't have that same faith in Tommy anymore, and I think that I have been one of his biggest supporters. But, I believe he is what he is at this point. I don't think his issues are things that you can clean up with more time, and experience. Just don't see him being able to change significantly when it comes to his noggin. He can't handle pressure very well. If it's his first read, then he shows flashes of brilliance. Problem is that you never know if it will be accurate, or not. And if it's not there right away, then he's gonna roll to the right unable to see anything across the middle of the field, so it's a throw to the sideline, out of bounds, or a sack. I'm really hoping that I'm completely wrong on this one. Nothing would make me happier than Tommy forcing me to eat crow. At this point, I'd eat a literal crow for him to become what he has the physical tools to be.
In games TD is a thrower not a passer. I played college basketball with guys who wouldn't miss playing horse. Put a guy on them and was a different story. Any D1 QB can pick a secondary apart given a clean pocket and time.
TD was a camp super star. In HS he had an all star team around him. In hindsight he would have been much better off going to a school with a great online and supporting cast. In my opinion he would have thrived at Pstate or BC.

In games TD is a thrower not a passer. I played college basketball with guys who wouldn't miss playing horse. Put a guy on them and was a different story. Any D1 QB can pick a secondary apart given a clean pocket and time.
TD was a camp super star. In HS he had an all star team around him. In hindsight he would have been much better off going to a school with a great online and supporting cast. In my opinion he would have thrived at Pstate or BC.

It definitely seems that this is the case. He just doesn't seem to have that feel for where to put the ball, and anticipate the spot he needs to hit consistently. That's something you're born with, IMO. I'm that guy who can't miss shooting around, then when the lights come on I look like a completely different player. Nothing I could ever do to change it really. You can get used to it a bit, and become more comfortable with experience, but for the most part that's just who you are. I'm an anxious guy, so I had to come to terms with it, and realize that my head just wasn't built to thrive under pressure. At this point, Tommy has had enough time playing in big games, so I'm not expecting him to suddenly become a new man in these next two seasons. But hey, stranger things have happened, and maybe the game will slow down for him eventually. I sure hope so because he's a good kid that works hard.

These are just stills, so there could be more to this, but the first pic is pretty damning. 3rd and 3. Johnson beginning his cut with plenty of room at the first down marker. That ball has to be essentially on its way already.

EhzlodMWsAEGa2A.jpg

These are just stills, so there could be more to this, but the first pic is pretty damning. 3rd and 3. Johnson beginning his cut with plenty of room at the first down marker. That ball has to be essentially on its way already.

View attachment 187838

All three screen shots in that sequence are pretty damning. The first one I assume he is looking at Taj but he could have easily hit the TE or Slot for a 1st down. The 2nd one he is looking toward the middle and misses that Taj is now open or the other WR at the bottom who is also open. The TE maybe a low throw is possible but it is not an easy play. Still better than the result though. The last screen shot the pocket has broken down and he has decided to run even though he has the WR at the bottom still open.

The four goaline pics are bad as well. The first pic he has 2 WRs at the top of the screen and he is looking that way. Why didn't he pull the trigger? The 2nd pic he still has the WR at the top open. The 3rd pic I do not blame him for not trying to hit the TE. That is a very hard play. However, he should have seen the TE and kept that in his mind for the 4th pic where the TE was actually open. The problem is TD has tucked the ball away in his left hand, which makes no friggen sense. Keep the ball in your throwing hand and if need be throw it away since you are out of the pocket. The fact that the TE is open there just makes it worse. He had zero chance to run for the TD so why tuck the ball? And shouldn't you want to tuck it in the outside hand and not the inside hand which is open to getting hit by the would be tackler making a fumble more likely?

These are just two individual plays which to be fair were cherry picked by the Tweeter to showcase bad decisions by Tommy. That being said it isn't hard to find these plays when looking back at what went wrong the last 13 games.

There are a ton of plays like these last year as well. I am sure we can find many more from yesterday too. That 3rd and 3 is a head scratcher. He had two options of guys open and instead took a sack. I used to rewatch games and over analyze but now I try to avoid even reading tweets/posts like these as it only makes me more frustrated.

Yeah, I don’t re-watch anymore. How much pain should one subject themselves to?

Give me a break on this stuff. I saw his best passes dropped and the coach couldn't even challenge a first down for him. He outgained the running backs as well.

But people expect him to extend plays like Dungey and find his 3rd and 4th options when his line breaks down and hes running for his life. Anything else and its mental issues or whatever nonsense.

Give me a break on this stuff. I saw his best passes dropped and the coach couldn't even challenge a first down for him. He outgained the running backs as well.

But people expect him to extend plays like Dungey and find his 3rd and 4th options when his line breaks down and hes running for his life. Anything else and its mental issues or whatever nonsense.

He had to run for his life what once yesterday? Is all it takes to shut him down? No one expects him to be Dungey. But he needs to start actually throwing the ball. That is kind of his job. Let the WRs fail and the coaches handle it. Not even giving the WRs a chance to succeed or fail is on him.

He had to run for his life what once yesterday? Is all it takes to shut him down? No one expects him to be Dungey. But he needs to start actually throwing the ball. That is kind of his job. Let the WRs fail and the coaches handle it. Not even giving the WRs a chance to succeed or fail is on him.
He doesn't pull the trigger in time. At this point its going to be tough to teach him. Its in the chip.

All three screen shots in that sequence are pretty damning. The first one I assume he is looking at Taj but he could have easily hit the TE or Slot for a 1st down. The 2nd one he is looking toward the middle and misses that Taj is now open or the other WR at the bottom who is also open. The TE maybe a low throw is possible but it is not an easy play. Still better than the result though. The last screen shot the pocket has broken down and he has decided to run even though he has the WR at the bottom still open.

The four goaline pics are bad as well. The first pic he has 2 WRs at the top of the screen and he is looking that way. Why didn't he pull the trigger? The 2nd pic he still has the WR at the top open. The 3rd pic I do not blame him for not trying to hit the TE. That is a very hard play. However, he should have seen the TE and kept that in his mind for the 4th pic where the TE was actually open. The problem is TD has tucked the ball away in his left hand, which makes no friggen sense. Keep the ball in your throwing hand and if need be throw it away since you are out of the pocket. The fact that the TE is open there just makes it worse. He had zero chance to run for the TD so why tuck the ball? And shouldn't you want to tuck it in the outside hand and not the inside hand which is open to getting hit by the would be tackler making a fumble more likely?

These are just two individual plays which to be fair were cherry picked by the Tweeter to showcase bad decisions by Tommy. That being said it isn't hard to find these plays when looking back at what went wrong the last 13 games.

So is the reason "we don't go to the tight ends" DeVito rather than Gilbert?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom