Does JW have the gravitas and backing | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Does JW have the gravitas and backing

This isn’t true. There's plenty of northern schools that are successful right now. Providence is 13-1 ffs and they have nothing of anything.

The two best conferences this year are in the north. BE and Big 10.
Yep - saw PC destroy DePaul and handle Seton Hall. Really good because of transfers. Cooley will never be the coach JB was, but he is much better now.

Last edited:
I don't agree with your interpretation. Every level has rising stars who are on the way up. Brad Stevens was a nobody... until he wasn't -- then, he became a highly coveted commodity that every program would have killed to hire.

I'm not suggesting that we are going to "settle" for some unknown low level coach because of financial limitations, in case anyone wants to spin it that way. Just because JB has not sought top dollar doesn't mean that the University doesn't have the financial wherewithal to pay market value.

But when this job opens up, I think it is going to be a lot more highly in demand that you project. And we're going to see a lot of names that our bulletin board isn't focusing on today -- and some will be more high profile than others.

Will be interesting to see how the dust settles and which names emerge after the AD does due diligence to identify the best candidates from outside the program. I'm guessing that the fanbase will be a lot more jazzed about which names emerge than they are about the candidates with ties to the program.
Nate Oats, the PipeDream du-jour, came out of literally "nowhere" as well. At least relative to Joe Average Fan. But people who know the game understand talent and coaching acumen when they see it, as was the case with Brad Stevens and Doug Marrone.

I'm with RF in thinking that: the university will not settle on the next HC because of financial reasons; JW will do his due diligence to identify the best option (baring a power play), and there will be "new" hot names that emerge whenever JB steps down, just as there are every season.

Maybe JW can think even further outside the box, and consider a head coach from outside of the United States. Somebody is going to do this.

I don't agree with your interpretation. Every level has rising stars who are on the way up. Brad Stevens was a nobody... until he wasn't -- then, he became a highly coveted commodity that every program would have killed to hire.

I'm not suggesting that we are going to "settle" for some unknown low level coach because of financial limitations, in case anyone wants to spin it that way. Just because JB has not sought top dollar doesn't mean that the University doesn't have the financial wherewithal to pay market value.

But when this job opens up, I think it is going to be a lot more highly in demand that you project. And we're going to see a lot of names that our bulletin board isn't focusing on today -- and some will be more high profile than others.

Will be interesting to see how the dust settles and which names emerge after the AD does due diligence to identify the best candidates from outside the program. I'm guessing that the fanbase will be a lot more jazzed about which names emerge than they are about the candidates with ties to the program.
Yeah but JB is probably a year or so away. Personally I think this is it. So the Brad Stevens of the world should already be ready to be picked off. Again would just like to know who everyone thinks that might be.

On the topic of money, I guess I’d be really shocked if Cuse spent 35mm-40mm on the next contract. I think that is the minimum for a Tier 1 coach that we want.

Maybe JW can think even further outside the box, and consider a head coach from outside of the United States. Somebody is going to do this.
Yeah the Suns tried that….oof

Disagree, it will not be easy to lure Oats back to NY. He's already getting recruits with better weather and lower taxes. Hes gone and doubt he would want to come back to upstate NY, he might even say the problem with the Syracuse job is that its in NY, who knows?

Ive made the drive from Tuscaloosa to Atlanta. It doesn't look much different than Rochester to Albany along the thruway

Well, some people like what Alabama has to offer culturally, and others don't.

To get a guy like that to leave we would have to come in a mil higher, or something along those lines. And they would likely match it.

It's why I think it's going to be internal / local at first, and if that person flops then maybe a route like this.

An internal hire is small time thinking, and could really hurt us.

I'm 100% serious when I say that I would prefer Rick Pitino on a 4 year deal as our bridge coach before he retires to hiring Gerry, Autry or Hopkins.

An internal hire is small time thinking, and could really hurt us.

I'm 100% serious when I say that I would prefer Rick Pitino on a 4 year deal as our bridge coach before he retires to hiring Gerry, Autry or Hopkins.
We have as much chance of hiring Coach K or Calimari than we do Rick

Yeah Oats ain’t coming…and you know he’s at Bama right? They have the biggest checkbook in the nation
Bama a football school. For the right money I believe Oats would come to Syracuse. He would take us to top 10 every year guaranteed. Championship contender every year.

We have as much chance of hiring Coach K or Calimari than we do Rick

Well, one of them is at Iona, and I would bet $100 that he doesn't want to finish his career there.

The other 2 are obviously ridiculous. But can't you just hear certain broadcasters doing a repeat of the relationship between Boeheim and Pitino as his first job, and all the other stories they share?

It would really help SU recruiting in a way that pretty much no other guy who might actually come here would. I do not anticipate a lot of tabletop jokes from the media, the way they killed us over Bernie Fine, trying to create another Penn State scandal for us.

I think people are going to be surprised at how hard it will be to take Nate Oates from Bama.
Yeah for clarity I am not saying we get him even with an over the top offer. I am just saying as an AD you look at someone who only is making 3.2 mill and see if there is interest if you like the guy. Thats it. Oats was the name being used but throw in any name barring stupid stuff like coack K or something. Especially if you think they can lift the program. Its the ADs job to sell it. People are saying you dont even kick the tires. To me thats crazy and people are acting like his 3.2 is high rent distract. Hell university of Utah pays Larry K 4 mill. Cooley at Providence makes 3.4 mill. Providence folks. I am pretty sure Syracuse could pony 4 to 5 mill without batting an eye. Oh and this is what we look like when we win.
FBBCF219-64B7-4E81-993D-7EE934F0A1E0.jpeg

Bama a football school. For the right money I believe Oats would come to Syracuse. He would take us to top 10 every year guaranteed. Championship contender every year.
Bama and the SEC is much more than football now. Oats is not happening

Well, one of them is at Iona, and I would bet $100 that he doesn't want to finish his career there.

The other 2 are obviously ridiculous. But can't you just hear certain broadcasters doing a repeat of the relationship between Boeheim and Pitino as his first job, and all the other stories they share?

It would really help SU recruiting in a way that pretty much no other guy who might actually come here would. I do not anticipate a lot of tabletop jokes from the media, the way they killed us over Bernie Fine, trying to create another Penn State scandal for us.
Look Matt if you’re asking me in a hypothetical world would I want Rick to coach here, the answer would be a resounding yes. He’s arguably one of the best coaches of all time.
But there’s no chance in hell.

Look Matt if you’re asking me in a hypothetical world would I want Rick to coach here, the answer would be a resounding yes. He’s arguably one of the best coaches of all time.
But there’s no chance in hell.

But it's ok to hire Gerry McNamara.

You know, the university is going to lose a LOT of money if they let the basketball team go completely off the rails with a guy who has never been a head coach before.

We have averaged more than 40,000 for football most of the time since we opened the Dome. Our peak years were 1987 to 2006, averaging more than 40,000 per game every single year in that stretch. All the way to 2006! I'll bet many would be surprised to hear that.

It wasn't until Robinson's 3rd year that the attendance began to tank. 35K and then 33K in Robinson's last 2 seasons. Marrone's first year, we didn't quite average 40K, but were close, just beat 40K in years 2 and 3. We averaged 45K in his last year and then he left.

Shafer was a disaster. Attendance averaged 36K in his 3 years.

Dino has also done poorly at the gate. We've been down around 32K in attendance. How many years of that can a program take before people just stop coming? Aren't they paying attention?

Their game day improvements have been marginal, to be honest. You have to be willilng to spend money before it's too late to get your customers back.

Last edited:
Yeah for clarity I am not saying we get him even with an over the top offer. I am just saying as an AD you look at someone who only is making 3.2 mill and see if there is interest if you like the guy. Thats it. Oats was the name being used but throw in any name barring stupid stuff like coack K or something. Especially if you think they can lift the program. Its the ADs job to sell it. People are saying you dont even kick the tires. To me thats crazy and people are acting like his 3.2 is high rent distract. Hell university of Utah pays Larry K 4 mill. Cooley at Providence makes 3.4 mill. Providence folks. I am pretty sure Syracuse could pony 4 to 5 mill without batting an eye. Oh and this is what we look like when we win.
View attachment 212444
Good post. This will seem like hyperbole, but Syracuse basketball is often the one thing people know about Syracuse when you travel outside of the state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom