Does Tyus leave... | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Does Tyus leave...

Obviously a lot of them are, but there might be a little bit of a selection bias going on here.

There were 63 early entries for the draft last year; there are only 60 draft picks, plus that doesn't include college seniors or any international players. There are a lot of early entries who don't get drafted, or go late second round, every year. I'm just scanning the list from last year, even guys from "big schools", Isiah Briscoe for UK, Melo Trimble from maryland, DJ Wilson from Michigan, Kobi Simmons from Arizona. Sometimes guys are just done with college.
Dj wilson was a first round pick but your point still stands. S lot of these kids Are crazy for leaving too.

Dj wilson was a first round pick but your point still stands. S lot of these kids Are crazy for leaving too.

Wow, awful job by me. He hasn't played a ton, but he's appeared in 17 games. Totally missed that

I said their numbers are similar ( PPG, assists, TO's, and rebounds) and they are. Obviously, they are not in the same situation. Trier has 2 other 1st round NBA players in his starting 5, so he doesn't need to take 16 shots per game. Do you think Battle's assists would be higher if he had two 7-footers (one will ne the #1 pick in the draft) to dump the ball down to? I do. Trier is 6-5. Why only 3 rebounds per game? Trier also turns the ball over just as much as Tyus. Trier is a better shooter, but he's also getting better shots and not having to force shots like Tyus does. He's never the sole focus of any defense. It's a lot harder to score and be efficient when you're the main (only?) option

Hey, he got his pts again! Wasn't disappointing at all.

Yeah I’m in the camp that thinks Tyus is a good player who is in an unfortunate situation here on a bad team. That coupled by the fact that JB lets him force things at all costs like Jake suspects above. It’s a difficult predicament to watch but I think JB is willing to let him jack shots or plow into double-teams instead of passing because the offensive skill level is so bad and he is the best and most creative scorer on the team.

I think on a better team he would pass more like Trier does (3.2 apg) from the 2G spot. He was a willing passer in high school but he probably is under so much pressure to score with this team.

Brissett probably has more athletic potential the NBA covets but I think Tyus has enough athleticism for the NBA to stick as long as he can improve the long range shooting assuming the scouts/GMs don’t scrutinize that hitch and mechanics of his too much and potentially penalize him. He certainly won’t be facing all this attention defensively and clogged spacing after Syracuse.

As the season progresses, I’m really not sure if Brissett is all that athletic. Doesn’t jump well and gets blocked quite easily at the basket. He’s got work to do.

As the season progresses, I’m really not sure if Brissett is all that athletic. Doesn’t jump well and gets blocked quite easily at the basket. He’s got work to do.

Yeah, it’s strange. He goes up very weak at times but then the dunks look plenty athletic.

One thing though was that at times Tyus especially early in the game was blazing down the court. He looked fast and very athletic. But then he spazzes out on the drives or goes 1-on-3 and we get nothing out of it.

Tyus should come back but wont. Bris will be back or unemployed.

I think he's out of gas. He has hit a wall. Freshman do that anyway and he's playing over 40 mpg! He will get a second wind, likely just enough to feel like declaring is the right move.

Yeah, it’s strange. He goes up very weak at times but then the dunks look plenty athletic.

One thing though was that at times Tyus especially early in the game was blazing down the court. He looked fast and very athletic. But then he spazzes out on the drives or goes 1-on-3 and we get nothing out of it.

I also noticed tonight that the absolute best time to run on us is when Howard drives the basket, because there is little to no chance that Battle turns and gets back in time. He just goes brain dead or something.

It’s really not all that strange. He’s very athletic but not strong enough through contact.

If Tyus leaves I hope he gets picked in a great spot because it’s good for Syracuse, but I don’t remember many guys improving their draft position based on the combine. .

Jonny Flynn did, especially his interviews.
I think the combine helped Wes Johnson go that high, too.

I think he's out of gas. He has hit a wall. Freshman do that anyway and he's playing over 40 mpg! He will get a second wind, likely just enough to feel like declaring is the right move.

He is 20 years old - albeit he's never played true college basketball before.

I think a big factor will be Tyus' desire to be involved in March Madness that's not NIT-related. Looking at the pieces coming in next year would be a huge reason to return. That being said, how large of a factor in Jalen Carey's decision to commit here was the expectation that Black Hole Battle is gone?

Jake and a few others make a very important point about Tyus. Hard to be unselfish when your coach thinks there is still room for you to be more assertive. Think about it. If Tyus did more like what we want (look for guys more), Boeheim would be on him to shoot more. Tyus is clearing pressing. What does he do? I'm not trying to defend Battle's poor play of late, but at the same time, he's really in a tough spot.

Jake and a few others make a very important point about Tyus. Hard to be unselfish when your coach thinks there is still room for you to be more assertive. Think about it. If Tyus did more like what we want (look for guys more), Boeheim would be on him to shoot more. Tyus is clearing pressing. What does he do? I'm not trying to defend Battle's poor play of late, but at the same time, he's really in a tough spot.

Also, he's exhausted. He expends a ton of energy off the ball on offense, takes a lot of contact, and then works hard on defense. I think this contributed to the two times (once when he had the angle and Lammers ended up with the ball, once when he fumbled it out of bounds) he failed to get a loose ball in the second half.

Talking about his overall game. He’s an average shooter with an average handle with a lack of ability to finish near the basket.

He's #1 in MPG in all of D1 basketball in an offense in which he has to carry a ridiculous load.

Talking about his overall game. He’s an average shooter with an average handle with a lack of ability to finish near the basket.
Tell that to JB he needs to realize this.
Instead he treats the kid like he is Kobe.
We are lucky Hop had such a great relationship with his dad and got him to flip from Michigan.

He needs to be assertive we have a dysfunctional offense. No one consistently makes shots. Tyus looked terrible yesterday. He got shut down by an under .500 team that became .500 after they beat us. He got stuffed at the rim numerous times. At one point he has 2- for like 9 or something and made a shot then hes backpedaling back on defense shaking his head like he accomplished something great it was embarrassing. His stat line was inflated, he got fouled at the 3 point line, and made those 3 .He made some terrible passes as well. He let that ball go out of bounds because he tried to grab it with one hand instead of two. He needs to put in some serious work if has any dreams of playing in the NBA.

He needs to be assertive we have a dysfunctional offense. No one consistently makes shots. Tyus looked terrible yesterday. He got shut down by an under .500 team that became .500 after they beat us. He got stuffed at the rim numerous times. At one point he has 2- for like 9 or something and made a shot then hes backpedaling back on defense shaking his head like he accomplished something great it was embarrassing. His stat line was inflated, he got fouled at the 3 point line, and made those 3 .He made some terrible passes as well. He let that ball go out of bounds because he tried to grab it with one hand instead of two. He needs to put in some serious work if has any dreams of playing in the NBA.

I agree. I find it odd so many make excuses for Battle and continuously pass all blame to Frank. They’ve had about the same season IMO.

I think the hitch in Tyus shot is also more pronounced because he is trying to draw a foul on his 3's. The leg kick is more exaggerated and the arms aren't as solid. He's not alone in doing this as kids from high school up often seem to forget mechanics in order to draw contact and get a cheap foul call. Sadly it works which encourages the poor form.

Overall I'm sympathetic to his situation. He's asked to do everything, and trying to predict how he would do with better teammates is strictly hypothetical. We can debate it for hours (and do), but no one will ever know. He did have a couple of good dishes yesterday. However, one thing that KILLS me is trying to score in transition when it's 1 on 3. It never works, and seems to happen at least 2-3 times per game. Just slow it down. You don't have the numbers. Save the "hero ball" for every other possession.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom