Does Tyus leave... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Does Tyus leave...

I stated it above Br801. Your posts get on my nerves sometimes but i dont hate you. I don’t know you personally to say what kind of person you are. That’s being honest and unbiased.
I have no idea what point you are making here.

What were your expectations? Alonzo Trier from Arizona has similar numbers. 19.7 ppg, 3 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game. Better shooter, of course, but he doesnt rebound, and he gets to dump the ball off to DeAndre Ayton and Rawle Alkins and that other 7 footer averaging 11 ppg. Like Tyus, 2.5 turnovers per game. I think he’s considered a 1st round pick.

My expectations were to shoot better than 30% from deep in conference play on 7 attempts and not to have a -2 to 1 turnover ratio as a guard in conference play. Maybe grab a rebound once or twice a half out of luck being 6'6 and all.

Ha ha. I'm laughing because in my longer post I was going to mention my concern about his range being limited but I had a lot of negative points already. I've noticed he front rims a lot of deep 3's, probably because of his release, as you said.

Again, to be clear, I like Tyus a lot so it pained me to post what I did. I also think he's a pretty solid college player, just not as great as I thought he'd be. Some of that is because he's not surrounded by incredible talent but that's not all of it either.

Me saying I think he might struggle from deep isn't a personal knock on Tyus. Just a legit observation I think scouts might also be worrying about. He also seems to need a lot of legs for his shot too. Bunch of energy goes into it.

How about people post their true opinions instead of for acceptance or likes. That would be great!

I often find myself wondering this when seeing some just blatantly orange glass wearing cheerleader posts that get a handful of likes.

I often find myself wondering this when seeing some just blatantly orange glass wearing cheerleader posts that get a handful of likes.
That’s how this board has always been. People form cliches and go around liking each other’s posts as well like that means anything lol. I respect people that can state their true feelings. Being always positive is not realistic.

Curious what you think about his form? I don't think his jumper looks fundamentally sound. There is an obvious hitch, despite what JB said on his radio show.

Also, are you not concerned by his inability to go left and finish with his left hand?

He's obviously got an ugly shot, but it seems to work for him. He's become a very good mid range shooter this year and when he's open from 3 he tends to hit it. He'd be shooting a very high percentage if it wasnt for 3 or 4 really bad games where he shot 7 or 8 times and made 1 or 0. In those games he was mostly well defended and had to shoot anyway because we cant go a game without him shooting from 3 - why I say you have to take his percentages with a grain of salt.

I dont put much stock into form because I dont see it as a very good predictor of success. Ive seen guys with bad form who shoot well and guys with great form who shoot poorly. Its possible Battle's bad form might hurt him from NBA distance, and if that keeps him at Syracuse for another year Im all for it, but I dont know that will be the case and I wouldn't just make that assumption.

As for Battle's inability to go left. He seems to have enough ways to score in half court to where it's not that much of a problem.

My biggest criticism of Battle strangely was not mentioned here, and that is how poor he is in transition. A guy with his size and atheticism should be good in transition, he's most likely lacking because defenders know he cant go left. Id certainly like to see him improve on that.

That’s how this board has always been. People form cliches and go around liking each other’s posts as well like that means anything lol. I respect people that can state their true feelings. Being always positive is not realistic.
That's really "cliche" of you to post. ;)

Me saying I think he might struggle from deep isn't a personal knock on Tyus. Just a legit observation I think scouts might also be worrying about. He also seems to need a lot of legs for his shot too. Bunch of energy goes into it.

I took your comments as you intended. Very legit concern.

Why do you even care if someone "likes" someone elses's posts? Do we all need to clear it with you before doing so now?

My expectations were to shoot better than 30% from deep in conference play on 7 attempts and not to have a -2 to 1 turnover ratio as a guard in conference play. Maybe grab a rebound once or twice a half out of luck being 6'6 and all.

So now you're just focused on conference play? Does the rest of the season not matter? If his teammates converted one more of his passes per game, Battle exceeds your expectations? Maybe get mad at Chuckwu or Brissett for their inability to finish around the rim? Same with Dolejaz and Moyer? Battles #'s look awfully similar to Alonzo Trier's at Arizona. Are you mad Frank Howard only gets 3 rebounds per game too? He's 6-5.

I expected him to be much better on the break too. As an aside, do we even practice fast break fundamentals? Ie: 2 on 1 drills? How can we be that bad in man advantage situations? And why do our guards insist on going 1 on 2... Are they admonished when they do so?

My biggest criticism of Battle strangely was not mentioned here, and that is how poor he is in transition. A guy with his size and atheticism should be good in transition, he's most likely lacking because defenders know he cant go left. Id certainly like to see him improve on that.

I mentioned it. I do think it's largely because of his inability to go left but also because I don't think our staff coaches this aspect of the game well. Tyus was lethal in transition in high school. It was a huge part of his game. And he used to dunk a lot more, especially in transition. I know the athletes in high school aren't on this level but it's still odd.

Also part of it: guys like me harp on Frank's loose handle but Tyus's handle is not elite either.

Tyus does a lot of things well but unfortunately he's not elite at anything, to be blunt. That said, doing a lot of things well makes him a very valuable player and I'm thrilled he's wearing this uniform instead of Michigan's.

Last edited:
I mentioned it. I do think it's largely because of his inability to go left but also because I don't think our staff coaches this aspect of the game well. Tyus was lethal in transition in high school. It was a huge part of his game. And he used to dunk a lot more, especially in transition. I know the athletes in high school aren't on this level but it's still odd.

Also part of it: guys like me harp on Frank's loose handle but Tyus's handle is not elite either.

Tyus does a lot of things well but unfortunate he's not elite at anything, to be blunt. That said, doing a lot of things well makes him a very valuable player and I'm thrilled he's wearing this uniform instead of Michigan's.

I think you answered one of your own questions in a previous thread. Tyus is NOT a selfish player by nature...but between the coaches instruction to be a scorer (at all costs?) and a legit lack of other players ability to finish...he's playing selfishly. Hence his poor assist ratio and forced turnovers.

There have been times this year, especially off the high screen and roll, that both Tyus and Frank have chosen to force contested shots instead of dishing to an open Chukwu or Dolezaj. That changed against Pitt with Sidibe in the game.
So maybe that starts to improve the offense.

It was also interesting to note that after the Pitt game, JB said that Tyus needs to be more assertive offensively and he was passing up too many opportunities. That's a telling statement about what JB wants and how he thinks.

It reminds me of his reliance on star players like Gmac..where he'd live with bad shots from good shooters rather than good shots from lesser shooters.

He also once told reporters about an injured DC. "50% of Derrick Coleman is better than 100% of anybody else I've got on the bench."

So now you're just focused on conference play? Does the rest of the season not matter? If his teammates converted one more of his passes per game, Battle exceeds your expectations? Maybe get mad at Chuckwu or Brissett for their inability to finish around the rim? Same with Dolejaz and Moyer? Battles #'s look awfully similar to Alonzo Trier's at Arizona. Are you mad Frank Howard only gets 3 rebounds per game too? He's 6-5.

How are you proving any kind of point you are trying to make by comparing him to another guy whose shooting numbers are on an entirely different tier? Trier is going for 20ppg on 11 shots vs 16.

I think you answered one of your own questions in a previous thread. Tyus is NOT a selfish player by nature...but between the coaches instruction to be a scorer (at all costs?) and a legit lack of other players ability to finish...he's playing selfishly. Hence his poor assist ratio and forced turnovers.

There have been times this year, especially off the high screen and roll, that both Tyus and Frank have chosen to force contested shots instead of dishing to an open Chukwu or Dolezaj. That changed against Pitt with Sidibe in the game.
So maybe that starts to improve the offense.

It was also interesting to note that after the Pitt game, JB said that Tyus needs to be more assertive offensively and he was passing up too many opportunities. That's a telling statement about what JB wants and how he thinks.

It reminds me of his reliance on star players like Gmac..where he'd live with bad shots from good shooters rather than good shots from lesser shooters.

He also once told reporters about an injured DC. "50% of Derrick Coleman is better than 100% of anybody else I've got on the bench."

Yeah, Tyus is not selfish at all. I certainly would never say that. I'm just bummed he hasn't shown the ability to use a left hand. I also agree with you that if we had a better finisher inside his numbers would be better as far as assists. That said, the bull in a china shop crap on the break is hard to watch from both of our guards. They don't even look to pass. Maybe they would if Oshae was running with them?

I really hope we see 100% Bourama next year. He's a very good finisher and can dunk with authority. His leg is not close to healthy still and that's robbed him of his explosion off the floor. Even against Pitt, several of those finishes would've been dunks. He just used his craftiness instead. One in particular was a follow of a miss (by Oshae?). If he were healthy, that would've been a flush.

How are you proving any kind of point you are trying to make by comparing him to another guy whose shooting numbers are on an entirely different tier? Trier is going for 20ppg on 11 shots vs 16.

You have so much more patience than I do. How the heck are you still mustering up the energy?

And Trier will be a lottery pick. This thread should be nuked. It's horrendous. I give you tremendous credit for trying but it's a lost cause.

I said their numbers are similar ( PPG, assists, TO's, and rebounds) and they are. Obviously, they are not in the same situation. Trier has 2 other 1st round NBA players in his starting 5, so he doesn't need to take 16 shots per game. Do you think Battle's assists would be higher if he had two 7-footers (one will ne the #1 pick in the draft) to dump the ball down to? I do. Trier is 6-5. Why only 3 rebounds per game? Trier also turns the ball over just as much as Tyus. Trier is a better shooter, but he's also getting better shots and not having to force shots like Tyus does. He's never the sole focus of any defense. It's a lot harder to score and be efficient when you're the main (only?) option

Yeah, maybe. He's certainly in a better position than Tyus at this juncture.

According to mock draft perhaps. But they don't mean anything. The combine will help sort this stuff out.

According to mock draft perhaps. But they don't mean anything. The combine will help sort this stuff out.

If Tyus leaves I hope he gets picked in a great spot because it’s good for Syracuse, but I don’t remember many guys improving their draft position based on the combine. At this point last year most mocks had Lydon 18-30 and he was picked 24th. Ennis and Grant were the same scenario. Mali and MCW jumped based on late season tournament play.

Yeah I’m in the camp that thinks Tyus is a good player who is in an unfortunate situation here on a bad team. That coupled by the fact that JB lets him force things at all costs like Jake suspects above. It’s a difficult predicament to watch but I think JB is willing to let him jack shots or plow into double-teams instead of passing because the offensive skill level is so bad and he is the best and most creative scorer on the team.

I think on a better team he would pass more like Trier does (3.2 apg) from the 2G spot. He was a willing passer in high school but he probably is under so much pressure to score with this team.

Brissett probably has more athletic potential the NBA covets but I think Tyus has enough athleticism for the NBA to stick as long as he can improve the long range shooting assuming the scouts/GMs don’t scrutinize that hitch and mechanics of his too much and potentially penalize him. He certainly won’t be facing all this attention defensively and clogged spacing after Syracuse.

If Tyus leaves I hope he gets picked in a great spot because it’s good for Syracuse, but I don’t remember many guys improving their draft position based on the combine. At this point last year most mocks had Lydon 18-30 and he was picked 24th. Ennis and Grant were the same scenario. Mali and MCW jumped based on late season tournament play.

True, but Mali had really good measurables and shot well at the combine, if I remember right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom