Dome Renovation | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

Don't know why it's not at least a consideration during the SU games.
Because twenty-five Dome events per year are not enough to justify the operational and maintenance costs. If it made financial sense, it would still be running.

Last edited:
Don't know why it's not at least a consideration during the SU games. I'm sure it would need to be upgraded but someone more knowledgeable than me would have to explain why it's gathering dust.

OnTrack declared bankruptcy years ago. The rolling stock was sold off. The former station at Armory Square is now an office building.

Cusefan78 said:
If they kindly ask esf to move that would solve all of the diehards parking issues.

Why does it have to be kindly?

Seems like a hefty price tag for just renovations. IMO, spend a little bit more and just build a damn new arena. They built Jerry Jones' arena for about 1 billion...and we would be spending half that for renovations?
Construction was more like 1.4 billion for Jerryworld.

how much did the state fork over for Yankee Stadium and CitiField? I want windows to let natural light in, I want wait service at my seat handing me a Jack Daniels, I want to buy a Steigerwald roast beef sandwich, I want multiple bars located around the dome to have a beverage before/after the game, and I want a monorail that hikes my ass from Destiny to the hill and back for bball so I don't have to deal with traffic, and I want to have Uber or Lyft take me home from there. Get it done Guv!

Awful lot of money for nuance. If there is public money involved I'd hope we'd trade some esthetically pleasing tribute to the value of athletics to the university to a facility that will generate maximum usage and utility to the broader community.

That is my point. I think in the long-term the on campus solution that matches the culture of the school and our athletics programs is precisely what will generate the most utility over time for the broader community. Because if you move it out to the industrial wastelands Philly style, it's going to be a huge negative for the programs and the school. This is impossible to prove, even with data from other markets, but I believe it to be true. Just as you seem to believe building by the railroad tracks will somehow generate a big improvement in attendance (even though basketball attendance seems just fine as it is). So I think we will need to agree to disagree. but I am glad the chancellor agrees with those of us who think keeping this on campus is the only prudent thing to do.

That is my point. I think in the long-term the on campus solution that matches the culture of the school and our athletics programs is precisely what will generate the most utility over time for the broader community. Because if you move it out to the industrial wastelands Philly style, it's going to be a huge negative for the programs and the school. This is impossible to prove, even with data from other markets, but I believe it to be true. Just as you seem to believe building by the railroad tracks will somehow generate a big improvement in attendance (even though basketball attendance seems just fine as it is). So I think we will need to agree to disagree. but I am glad the chancellor agrees with those of us who think keeping this on campus is the only prudent thing to do.

Great Post.

Where did I say anything about Train tracks?

What industrial wasteland?

I'm a townie and a graduate, but if they are going to keep the facility there, it better be on their own nickel and that's a huge amount of donations, because if they are spending $500M, there isn't a business case for it based on just University events.

Last edited:
Bring back the Train!!!

Need to build a platform downtown...not sure if it is feasible if the intermodal thingie is built near Jamesville.
Exactly what I posted in my "questionnaire" answer. The piped-in whistle's nice, but I think our only Heisman winner -- and the fans -- deserve a real ELMIRA EXPRESS.

People show up for basketball. Population density isn't keeping people away there.

The "new" Dome will be unique. It will be on campus, and we continue to have the largest on campus baskebtall facility in the country. There would be nothing unique about a new stadium in the inner harbor. It would be another cookie cutter facility you can find anywhere in the country.

The new dome will be a huge facility upgrade for football IMO. I know there's a good amount of people high on the inner harbor idea, but as an alum I am not one of those people.

Regardless, when they rebuild 81, it would not be easy getting to a stadium at the inner harbor, and the space for parking currently available there isn't much more than what we have near Manley and South right now.

Population density? They keep building out and packing more buildings in that area you are going to lose more parking and pedestrian access.

What's with the assumption about what type of facility a stadium would be at another location? What are they going to do, tear up 81 all the way to the 481 interchange?

There are there 6 large surface lots, with I think two more under construction, right across Bear Street from where the new stadium would go, perfectly flat and a couple hundred yards away, Manley is 1 1/2 and Skytop is 2 1/2 miles from the dome. Hell, maybe Destiny should open up those lots for SU games, it's about .3 miles further than Skytop.

Where did I say anything about Train tracks?

What industrial wasteland?

I'm a townie and a graduate, but if they are going to keep the facility there, it better be on their own nickel and that's a huge amount of donations, because if they are spending $500M, there isn't a business case for it based on just University events.
I don't know where $400M is going to come from without a public contribution, and probably a substantial one. Assuming that is part of the financing plan, and the facility remains on campus, I would expect that public use would be among the funding conditions. I don't know what business case the U will be able to make to justify several hundred million on the Dome, but certainly there is a substantial economic benefit to central NY from the University.
http://dailyorange.com/2015/02/study-measures-universities-impact-on-cny-economy/

I don't know where $400M is going to come from without a public contribution, and probably a substantial one. Assuming that is part of the financing plan, and the facility remains on campus, I would expect that public use would be among the funding conditions. I don't know what business case the U will be able to make to justify several hundred million on the Dome, but certainly there is a substantial economic benefit to central NY from the University.
http://dailyorange.com/2015/02/study-measures-universities-impact-on-cny-economy/

Reed, the state throws around money in tax breaks for every fly by night job creation idea...sending $200-300M to Cuse is nothing.

BTW, the State is forking over $90M in incentives to a company relocating to Syracuse today for a promise of 420 jobs
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....l_create_420_jobs_in_dewitt.html#incart_river

DEWITT, N.Y. -- A California-based LED lighting company called Soraa is moving to Collamer Road in DeWitt, where it will create 420 high-tech jobs, the company announced Thursday with Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

The company intends to build a manufacturing building in a new office park next to the new film hub, where the announcement was made.

Cuomo said the state will offer about $90 million in incentives.

Last edited:
Reed, the state throws around money in tax breaks for every fly by night job creation idea...sending $200-300M to Cuse is nothing.
Lots of construction jobs, for sure. Revenue for the travel industry, accommodations, restaurants, shopping ... not to mention the Fine Lot MONORAIL.

It's an existing benefit, what's the marginal increase in economic benefits remodeling an existing facility for that amount money is going to have. It's not they have to bribe the university not to relocate.

A basic fact is that the ever decreasing parking situation in the vicinity of the dome makes public use ever more and more difficult. You have student housing and their parking where open commuter and public lots used to be.

You can't turn the Dome in to a regularly used community stadium with the those logistics. It will be very difficult for patrons and disruptive to the University Community, it's a lose/lose.

Lots of construction jobs, for sure. Revenue for the travel industry, accommodations, restaurants, shopping ... not to mention the Fine Lot PEERAIL.

Fixed!:rolling:

It's an existing benefit, what's the marginal increase in economic benefits remodeling an existing facility for that amount money is going to have. It's not they have to bribe the university not to relocate.

A basic fact is that the ever decreasing parking situation in the vicinity of the dome makes public use ever more and more difficult. You have student housing and their parking where open commuter and public lots used to be.

You can't turn the Dome in to a regularly used community stadium with the those logistics. It will be very difficult for patrons and disruptive to the University Community, it's a lose/lose.
Why not wait until we get a plan to look at before pontificating.

You make a point about access (including transportation and public oparking). This would be part of any design ... since people have to be able to reach the facility. As far as there being no "marginal increase in economic benefits", the opposite may be true. After 35 years, there's a case to be made that the Dome has to be modernized to retain its value as a revenue-producing venue.

Overall, I have to say the Brown plan sounds very appealing if the pieces fall together.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom