Dome Renovation | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

I hear those things are awfully loud
Years ago, they had a train behind (West of) the Fine Lot. I never heard it ... over the sound of all those sizzling hamburgers and beers being cracked open.

Reed, the state throws around money in tax breaks for every fly by night job creation idea...sending $200-300M to Cuse is nothing.

BTW, the State is forking over $90M in incentives to a company relocating to Syracuse today for a promise of 420 jobs
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....l_create_420_jobs_in_dewitt.html#incart_river

DEWITT, N.Y. -- A California-based LED lighting company called Soraa is moving to Collamer Road in DeWitt, where it will create 420 high-tech jobs, the company announced Thursday with Gov. Andrew Cuomo.

The company intends to build a manufacturing building in a new office park next to the new film hub, where the announcement was made.

Cuomo said the state will offer about $90 million in incentives.

What extra jobs are going to come out of sinking that much money into a stadium located where the dome is? What's the financing structure, who's the owner, what's the usage?

You think it's worth that much money just to boost football attendance by 10K a game, because that seems to be what this is all about.

Why not wait until we get a plan to look at before pontificating.

I've said in this thread if the University is going to do this on their own nickle they should go for it.

What extra jobs are going to come out of sinking that much money into a stadium located where the dome is? What's the financing structure, who's the owner, what's the usage?

You think it's worth that much money just to boost football attendance by 10K a game, because that seems to be what this is all about.
A project for the community good is graded differently than a for profit company.

A project for the community good is graded differently than a for profit company.

Community good?

I'm having trouble seeing how dropping that much public money into a highly difficult to access facility constitutes a community good.

You want to attach SUNY to the Falk School to the stadium and let kids transfer in from the SUNY system at no increase in cost that might qualify.

I don't care if it makes a profit, what's the business plan that services the financing on $400M to $500M and pays for the operating costs.

I've said in this thread if the University is going to do this on their own nickle they should go for it.
It seems obvious that there will be state involvement in a big way. We have no idea what the deal will be but don't be surprised if it turns out to be a very good one for SU. As far as the city is concerned take that up with the Mayor - she had her chance and she blew it. Politics ain't bean bag.

It seems obvious that there will be state involvement in a big way. We have no idea what the deal will be but don't be surprised if it turns out to be a very good one for SU. As far as the city is concerned take that up with the Mayor - she had her chance and she blew it. Politics ain't bean bag.

Not sure what the City or Minor has to do with it.

The location you want with publuc money was effectively killed by the mayor.

I wanted the stadium on East Fayette, wow, that's news to me.

Sounds wonderful but I'd really rather build a new facility, preferably near Destiny, (where the parking is), so we could keep using the Dome while the new place is built.

Maybe you should save your fiscal conservatism for all the projects that don't absolutely kick ass for something we all love. Money is wasted hand over fist in upstate in a politically driven wealth transfer from the city. You aren't going to stop that by being upset about it. If public money is going to be used for this lets be glad it's for something that everyone on this board will get to enjoy. This is a good day !

reedny said:
Exactly what I posted in my "questionnaire" answer. The piped-in whistle's nice, but I think our only Heisman winner -- and the fans -- deserve a real ELMIRA EXPRESS.
I think a lot of the fans deserve a Cleveland Steamer.

Maybe you should save your fiscal conservatism for all the projects that don't absolutely kick ass for something we all love. Money is wasted hand over fist in upstate in a politically driven wealth transfer from the city. You aren't going to stop that by being upset about it. If public money is going to be used for this lets be glad it's for something that everyone on this board will get to enjoy. This is a good day !

I'm not upset about the dome being updated, I'm questioning the scale and the source of investment that will have a practical effect of making it more of the same and be of benefit for the most part the school and existing fans. You could attract those other 10K to 15K fans for football by putting a better product on the field for 10% of the cost.

It's not a fiscally conservative position. I believe that it's not the best use of financing of that size, if it is just for stadium construction, if there is going to be a multi hundred million dollar government participation in the project.

If you are going to commit that much public money the project should use the content that SU provides as the anchor tenant, should use the mall for it's parking and assets it provides, to build a state of the art facility that will benefit both SU and the broader community.

I'm not talking some box, I'm talking a euro style multi use facility that house not only basketball but hockey as well. Set up the terracing on the field so you can use it for indoor soccer and box lax as well.

When the dome was first built there wasn't much down the hill but commuter lots and residential housing. That has been consumed to a large extent and access to the dome has been pushed out more and more. It is more isolated from the community than ever. It's practical use as a "public" venue has decreased a large extent over time.

If you are going to spend that kind of public money, if that where the majority of that $500M is coming from is put the facility I described in the inner harbor, leverage the mall as an asset with their 9500 parking spaces and restaurants, leverage the university as the major tenant, set up a deal with AEG where they are an operator, and major entertainment content provider, and the kids from Falk staff it as much as possible, move the Crunch and Silver Knights into the building, you have a place for professional soccer and lax in the summer, and let the county get out of operating the war memorial, respectfully use that space for another hotel. It's a win, win, win, win, win, win, win, win, win, win, win, ...

You get a state of the art facility for basketball, football, and lax, it's the best solution possible for the fans, it gives the indoor minor league teams a place that would be without compare at their level, the University could field a mens hockey team if they wanted, you would have a built in synergy between one of the major entertainment facility operators and content providers and one of the leading schools for sports and entertainment management, you would free up the space on the hill for academics and downtown for other use, the county saves money on trying to keep a redundant and decaying facility open.

Community good?

I'm having trouble seeing how dropping that much public money into a highly difficult to access facility constitutes a community good.

You want to attach SUNY to the Falk School to the stadium and let kids transfer in from the SUNY system at no increase in cost that might qualify.

I don't care if it makes a profit, what's the business plan that services the financing on $400M to $500M and pays for the operating costs.
I want a new renovated dome and I want the state to kick in money. I am part of the community and I think it is good.

I'm not upset about the dome being updated, I'm questioning the scale and the source of investment that will have a practical effect of making it more of the same and be of benefit for the most part the school and existing fans. You could attract those other 10K to 15K fans for football by putting a better product on the field for 10% of the cost.

It's not a fiscally conservative position. I believe that it's not the best use of financing of that size, if it is just for stadium construction, if there is going to be a multi hundred million dollar government participation in the project.

If you are going to commit that much public money the project should use the content that SU provides as the anchor tenant, should use the mall for it's parking and assets it provides, to build a state of the art facility that will benefit both SU and the broader community.

I'm not talking some box, I'm talking a euro style multi use facility that house not only basketball but hockey as well. Set up the terracing on the field so you can use it for indoor soccer and box lax as well.

When the dome was first built there wasn't much down the hill but commuter lots and residential housing. That has been consumed to a large extent and access to the dome has been pushed out more and more. It is more isolated from the community than ever. It's practical use as a "public" venue has decreased a large extent over time.

If you are going to spend that kind of public money, if that where the majority of that $500M is coming from is put the facility I described in the inner harbor, leverage the mall as an asset with their 9500 parking spaces and restaurants, leverage the university as the major tenant, set up a deal with AEG where they are an operator, and major entertainment content provider, and the kids from Falk staff it as much as possible, move the Crunch and Silver Knights into the building, you have a place for professional soccer and lax in the summer, and let the county get out of operating the war memorial, respectfully use that space for another hotel. It's a win, win, win, win, win, win, win, win, win, win, win, ...

You get a state of the art facility for basketball, football, and lax, it's the best solution possible for the fans, it gives the indoor minor league teams a place that would be without compare at their level, the University could field a mens hockey team if they wanted, you would have a built in synergy between one of the major entertainment facility operators and content providers and one of the leading schools for sports and entertainment management, you would free up the space on the hill for academics and downtown for other use, the county saves money on trying to keep a redundant and decaying facility open.

Apparently, your views have been considered and rejected.

Apparently, your views have been considered and rejected.

The new administration, if they move forward w these plans, are smartly realizing the effectiveness of tying the Dome into the rest of the campus in a modern fashion. Such a progressive viewpoint of this amazing asset on campus. It's a huge win for the university and the students, who are the most important component to this equation.

This is as real an obstacle as any. Tough to score a big event when the bulk of the community's hotel rooms are in 120-room mid-market properties. Even if the seating capacity and hotel room number limits were relaxed by the NCAA, they'd still require 4-6 hotels of at least a Marriott/Hilton quality level, each with over 250 rooms. And that's not in the pipeline around here.

Well they are building three new hotels in east Syracuse off Carrier Circle. Added 3 in North Syracuse Cicero and a handful downtown all in the last 3-5 years.

Thanks for explaining your position and thoughts. Very well thought out. I'm still on the side of updating the Dome and keeping things on campus for "sentimental" reasons for lack of a better term. But I can certainly understand your position as someone who is local.

great post. All of that makes so much sense that it stands no chance to happen, unfortunately due in part to those with no vision.

I love the way they'll talk about it like its still 1975 or some Love Canal site or something down there. Likely they haven't been down there to see what's been going on, this with a true example of city revitalization and the great things happening down there, granted over a long period of time. If investors are putting up a hotel down there you can be certain they've turned a corner and are over the hump.

It would be far enough away from the treatment plant to make that a non issue too and with all the park like enhancements down there they've done, the fact that they could connect this in with the loop the lake trail that's on it's way to being completed to connect the new amphitheater, Liverpool, etc. such that it makes all of this a no brainer and good for all. Which, again, is why it won't happen and people will have the pleasure of continuing to fight to find parking, etc. with the hassle of just getting there, and apparently get to look at even more empty seats.

Listen I'm happy their going to do something to signal to the world that they're serious about things finally and again, but just like with the baseball stadium location there would be a way to do this that would hit all bases. It will be great for those of us regulars but will do zero to make it easier for the rest of the community to get on board and support the team. Lost opportunity once again.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom