Dome Renovation | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

Yeah I agree personally I think it's pretty cool how we have it. Tailgating spread out everywhere walk up through the campus is pretty cool. I just wish they would open up the quad but I doubt That happens it would get torn up.
That is one of my talking points... If selected for the council

The last time this was played in an on campus arena was what, Kentucky in 1985? and they advanced pretty far that year.

Cuse won't get it for a small venue, lack of hotel space, small airport, etc, not because of our hoop team.
You forgot about 1986...didn't we host and lose to Navy?

Today would have been a great time for su to leak sow thing about this. Would shift the coaching talk to the dome honestly the fire shafer thing is crazy. We aren't at the point of a mid season firing so let's cool off about it till after the season we do have two more winnable games and 5-7 is more then most people thought we would win this year.

That is one of my talking points... If selected for the council
I think the whole huge parking lot thing is over blown. Look at Rutgers. We tailgated right under the stadium, great time

Yeah I agree personally I think it's pretty cool how we have it. Tailgating spread out everywhere walk up through the campus is pretty cool. I just wish they would open up the quad but I doubt That happens it would get torn up.

Bury $3M in the reno budget for field turf on the quad.

That sounds about right as I believe it is mid to late December when the State announces what regions (and related projects) are going to receive the Buffalo billion.
I believe early december is when winners are announced. But I'm a bit puzzled that people think an SU renovation is somehow going to be part of that award (assuming CNY is one of the winners). The local pitch outlined several thrust areas but the only SU-related item was the VA research facility. Are we speculating that other top-secret items are buried in the proposal?

I believe early december is when winners are announced. But I'm a bit puzzled that people think an SU renovation is somehow going to be part of that award (assuming CNY is one of the winners). The local pitch outlined several thrust areas but the only SU-related item was the VA research facility. Are we speculating that other top-secret items are buried in the proposal?
Yup

Honestly I don't care if we use public dollars because if we don't use it, the governor will just allocate it to another part of the state.
youre probably right hes gonna spend it we have to grab as much return on "investment" as we can from our taxes.

And for comparison's sake, here is the setup at Ralph Wilson Stadium, which is surrounded by parking lots, versus the current layout of the inner harbor, at the same scale:

View attachment 53465

Keep in mind that a chunk of that land below Bear Street is already slated for development. You'd need a plot of land twice the size of what is currently there if you want to avoid having to surround the stadium with parking garages instead of lots.

Inner harbor is Slated for smaller scale development though with traditional framing.

One thing to consider about the inner harbor is that Foundations is a huge problem/cost for a building this size with a large clearspanning roof, ie Domes, compounded with concentrated load areas, ie stadium seating/concourses.

For reference Destiny sits on a huge number of 220ft+ long steel piles because of how bad the soil is and it is semi-traditional steel framing. They actually lost some piles completely by just hitting them once with the Pile driver the soil down there is so soft. Can be very expensive.

It becomes a mat foundation with a raft of piles for clear spanning roof structures though they would be shorter piles the further you get from the lake as bedrock rises, lets say 150 ft long for the stadium.

More technical stuff (read at your discretion)

Carousel sits on a compensating pumped water content bathtub foundation that is constantly tracked and adjusted and columns are adjusted annually to level it out. Out of the question in this case in my opinion.

The soil near the dome has pretty good capacity in comparison, and while it may need short +/-20-30ft friction piles due to high loads and mediocre bed rock at certain locations, spread footings are an option in lightly loaded areas. Overall either system is a big invisible cost savings over the inner harbor.

The site down on east Fayette from what I have heard is some where in the middle in terms of soil, (thanks retro, if I recall correctly) sounded to me like +/-40-50 ft piles would be needed in most areas. They may have considered this worth the cost of investment to reclaim campus adjacent property for academics under the previous scheme especially with the state kicking in.

Inner harbor is Slated for smaller scale development though with traditional framing.

One thing to consider about the inner harbor is that Foundations is a huge problem...
For reference Destiny sits on a huge number of 220ft+ long steel piles because of how bad the soil is and it is semi-traditional steel framing. They actually lost some piles completely by just hitting them once with the Pile driver the soil down there is so soft.

So worst case the stadium sinks below ground. Could we use the hard-top roof for parking/tailgating?

So worst case the stadium sinks below ground. Could we use the hard-top roof for parking/tailgating?

Underground stadium? Now we're thinking. That would give us the most unique stadium in the world and alleviate parking issues. Plus, it would still be functional after the pending nuclear apocalypse. Recruiting advantage!

Reminds me of the library when they forgot to add in the weight of the books
I remember that. Wonder what Byrd is like these days? Is everything going digital?

I have a hard time seeing them moving all home games next year or any year to other sites, next year we only have 6 games and 3 of them will be the first 3 weeks of the season most likely(louisville is very likely to be the game on wk 2 based on teams with openings and one of said teams can only play 1 team since they need to be home that day). Then you can put 2 home games in october and have a late bye week or finish with 3 of 4 on the road in November with 1 home game if they really want to start the renovation that soon. They can do most of the construction after bball/lacrosse are finished and do it in stages

I have a hard time seeing them moving all home games next year or any year to other sites, next year we only have 6 games and 3 of them will be the first 3 weeks of the season most likely(louisville is very likely to be the game on wk 2 based on teams with openings and one of said teams can only play 1 team since they need to be home that day). Then you can put 2 home games in october and have a late bye week or finish with 3 of 4 on the road in November with 1 home game if they really want to start the renovation that soon. They can do most of the construction after bball/lacrosse are finished and do it in stages
The smart guys have to do a dollar cost benefit analysis...it might make horrible sense Football wise to play all 11 on the road next year...but it might save tens of millions of dollars to let them work until mid/late Nov.

The smart guys have to do a dollar cost benefit analysis...it might make horrible sense Football wise to play all 11 on the road next year...but it might save tens of millions of dollars to let them work until mid/late Nov.

yea thats above my pay rate imo... just thinking out loud couldnt they do non actual dome renovation stuff from august to mid november. how long would it really take to build the new roof support system?

I don't know if it is true but I heard again today, through the DM grapevine, that all the games next year would be played off campus...and because of this Shafer will be around next year.
If it plays out that every game is on the road, keeping HCSS makes sense. Maybe even the following year. See Maloney, Frank.

happy for the renovation but that would absolutely suck to have every game on the road. Suck

I don't know if it is true but I heard again today, through the DM grapevine, that all the games next year would be played off campus...and because of this Shafer will be around next year.
Any idea where the home games will be played? I may have to skip My seasons tics next year as it is 2+ hours to get to Syracuse as it is now. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom