Dome Renovation | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

Eminent domain solves a fair amount of problems.

Plus if there are 30K people walking somewhere it's hard to get mugged.

Anyway, water under the bridge.
It reminds me of the SU-USC football game at the Collisseum. We had to park in the South Central neighborhood about 8 blocks away. We paid a homeowner to park in his driveway. A lot of people but still a little scary.

My bad, 307 million to renovate MSG in 2013. 130 for the Ralph. If they were to scrap everything and build new, I still think you are looking at over 500 million between New Construction and Demolition.

The MSG renovation was a total of $1 Billion dollars in total.

Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere, but when is the BOT's meeting where the stadium renovation/rebuild will be discussed? This is exciting to contemplate and all but it will be even more exciting when we get to react to actual decisions rather than speculation.

(And I'm not criticizing the speculation -- comments from you guys who are closer to the situation up on the hill are greatly appreciated!)
11/30

Would you not go to games if all they did was replace the roof?

Why is it any concern of the government to make your attending games more comfortable?
I go to the games now...but I want a renovated stadium paid for by the government.

the BS detector goes off when you start trying to value intangibles. people can plug whatever they want. the dome on campus costs a billion dollar? uh the intangibles are worth 1.1 billion that's the ticket!

the dome being off campus doesn't threaten any of those things you talk about in the first paragraph at all

i want it on campus. i just don't need it to be fancy and I don't want to take other people's money to do it just because cuomo might decide to give all our money to a solar panel company in alabama, ny instead

if we're going to ask other people to pay a lot of money for it, then it should be made easily available to other people to use. if they want it on campus, fine but don't take as much money
Good point. But the amount of money to be committed to this project has not been confirmed yet. Let's cool our jets for a bit. There will be plenty of time to bitch if it becomes necessary to do so.

I did this summer. It won't look like that if they built the thing.

It's still sorta on campus and right next to downtown. For someone who likes to walk to places it seemed fine to me.

The Nats built a stadium in basically East Berlin and it no longer looks like that either (I know Cuse isn't DC)
Agreed, what they've done with that part of DC is nothing short of amazing.

dude you're so behind, ya didn't hear? We got the 2025 NCAA mens FF!

What could go wrong?! Especially when Syracuse is at it's finest in late March early April. Fun fun I tell ya!
But, what if the trial balloon floated by (I think) PAC-12 commissioner leads to something, and hoops becomes a one-semester sport? Then everything gets pushed back, and the FF is the last week of April, instead of the first.

Last edited:
You don't need 20K parking spaces for a 45K seat venue. Metlife has 28K on site for 82K. Univ of Phoenix has 14K on site parking for 63K seats, Philly has 22K for a 68K facility.
We might have the worst parked facility in the entire country...just sayin...

OrangeXtreme said:
OnTrack declared bankruptcy years ago. The rolling stock was sold off. The former station at Armory Square is now an office building.

It would need to be an automated PRT style train system to be effective, since that type of system responds to riders needs/destinations automatically and responsiveness improves ridership.

connect it to the tracks that go to the state fair and the RTC put a spur on up to the airport as the existing tracks are already quite close buy used rolling stock from air trains at East coast Airports, tie in state and Fed transportation monies? (not getting political just stating options).

690 East gets very backed up to about the state fair in the AM if people had an option to jump off at the fair park in their lots and take the train downtown it would increase daily ridership.

If this were a possibility I would say expand the airport and make it the standby airport when there are major east coast storms to alleviate shutdowns and provide direct attachment to hotels and other transportation modes to get to East coast cities. We always have snow so we handle it well and we generally are less affected by Noreasters/hurricanes. Statistically Syracuse NY is the or close to the safest city near the east coast megalopolis for all natural disaster types.

1.It's not going to pick up and leave but its value to alumni, current students, and the community will definitely suffer if the things that make SU special are allowed to degrade. That's why the board and the chancellor are investing in the future if athletics right now - because they need to.

2.I love they dome but it is uncomfortable. My partner who is a UF fan, she's only going to come to games with me and bring her kids if she can have a pleasant experience. She will go to games in NYC but she went to the dome once and had enough. Casual fans will be enticed by an upgraded experience inside. I don't think parking is the primary driver of attendance

3. My attitude is that everything about the university supports and is good for the community. So as a community member you should want the university to be as strong as it can be for itself and take the spillover benefits that come with their success. This is college athletics not a syracuse pro sports team

1. That's the issue, who's doing the investing.

2. You said it yourself, it's a college sports team, not professional. You want it both ways, keep in insular and isolated on campus but upgrade the interior so it's closer to a professional environment to attract patrons from outside the university. What venues are you speaking of in NYC- Metlife, MSG? Do you know the volume of events needed to support the financing costs of those places?

3. I'm and alum, my family is multi generational grads, and a resident. But that's a ridiculous attitude. Take whatever spillover effectrs and be greatful, there's a huge portion of this community who give a dbl barreled FU to just that attitude.

If its a college team that wants a professional arena kept on campus, they should pay for it.

knock down brick city on otherside of 81 .. would make alot of parking and maybe a new business or 2 .. and help cut down on crime .. but I think the feds own it

Probably pretty close. There are always ways to do these things. Rockefeller built the entire Albany government mall by having the city build it with state guaranteed bonds supported by a state lease.
I imagine when we see the details we will see some interesting structures. Syverud has probably prepped the BOT pretty thoroughly.

Yeah, for construction of a government offices complex, not a sports arena for a private entity.

Those two things might be just a little bit different.

The degree of ridiculousness of this whole thing depends on the size and type of state investment. There isn't a business case if the cost of this remodel is $500M in that location.

You can't turn that building, no matter what the amount of rework, into a entertainment complex doing enough business to generate the revenue needed, even with tax free bonds.

Are you guys actually reading what you type. Knock down brick city, new airport,... The only thing that actually could happen but I doubt is a train and that's not even very realistic. Guys this is Syracuse not Atlanta or Charlotte it's not even Albany. We are a small city with the major employers are su and hospitals. State money to remodel the dome makes sense because of the importance the school has on the local economy. We are not building a new airport just so we can get a final four. Chances of a final four coming here is like 5%. We have a better chance at getting a worlds fair or the New York State games. (Do they still have those)

At UofP stadium. The big lot idea is terrible here.
Yeah I agree personally I think it's pretty cool how we have it. Tailgating spread out everywhere walk up through the campus is pretty cool. I just wish they would open up the quad but I doubt That happens it would get torn up.

1. That's the issue, who's doing the investing.
Remember the original numbers--

Total cost of the Dome: $26.85M.
Carrier Corp Naming gift: 2.75M
NYState Share: 15.00M
Leaving 9.1M as the SU share.

So, the precedent for the state being heavily involved is there.

The trade-off might be that more non-SU events would have to be scheduled. Which leads back to the transportation/parking problem for crowds who are not Dome regulars. I expect the people-moving part of the project to get major attention. (All of this assuming the leaks have it right).

Syracuse needs an on-campus or adjacent-to-campus stadium, no other option is acceptable to this alumnus.

For Syracuse to play games at the Fairgrounds, Destiny or Inner Harbor would simply be ludicrous and would take away from return trips to campus.

The University's needs may not be the same as the city's/county's needs... sorry.

I haven't been following this entire thread, so would anybody care to answer the following:

When are we expected to have a formal announcement detailing all of the upgrades and changes we can expect?
When will we get to see designs of what to expect?
From what I understand we would begin this immediately after the final home basketball game, how long before we could expect everything to finish?
What impact will the new renovations have on pricing for seats? For individual games and for seasons?

Thanks for the updates.

I would think we will hear something December 1st. I really can't believe it's going to happen this basketball season even after hearing it will be. I have heard schematics are in the hands of a certain local lighting company but from what I understand it's not a final blueprint. More of a inquiry for pricing phase. My best guess is it's next basketball season and it'll be a few years. One year of football on the road and basketball will play in the dome with construction going on during that time.

I would think we will hear something December 1st. I really can't believe it's going to happen this basketball season even after hearing it will be. I have heard schematics are in the hands of a certain local lighting company but from what I understand it's not a final blueprint. More of a inquiry for pricing phase. My best guess is it's next basketball season and it'll be a few years. One year of football on the road and basketball will play in the dome with construction going on during that time.
That sounds about right as I believe it is mid to late December when the State announces what regions (and related projects) are going to receive the Buffalo billion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom