Dome Renovation | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

I can't see them doing that. It's already a huge ask to have fans drive to buffalo. My guess is they'll keep the fans happy as much as possible. Does anyone remember what they did the last time as far as ticket sales?
Agreed.

The ideal setup for the university is to play all the home games at the same venue, and offer STH the chance to buy season tickets for the venue for all home games. That gives them more cash flow and a degree of continuity that will help retain STH during a difficult time. Cornell would be easier and the size would be adequate but as others have noted, they also play on Saturdays and they also have a football team and they have their games on a college campus...finding 6 or 7 open Saturdays there is very unlikely and it probably isn't worth it to only play one or two games there.

Last time, using three venues for 5 games made this impossible. I was a student then, don't think they even offered us the equivalent of a season ticket that year.

Anyway, if we lose a year of home games at the Dome, I support moving all the games to Ralph Wilson. It is a relatively easy drive, the tailgating would be excellent, it would be easy for out of towners to fly into and I think we would be able to play all the home games there.

Hmmm.. I thought they weren't meeting until the end of November.

So, the Board will be discussing Dome renovations today? Can CTO or someone else with firsthand knowledge of the situation confirm this?

While we're expressing our preferences for 1979 Redux, I'll add my two cents in favor of a special Amtrak train on (selected?) game days running from Rensselaer/Albany to Buffalo. I guess I'd take a bus but for a 5+ hour trip I prefer being able to get up and walk around now and then.

Agreed.

The ideal setup for the university is to play all the home games at the same venue, and offer STH the chance to buy season tickets for the venue for all home games. That gives them more cash flow and a degree of continuity that will help retain STH during a difficult time. Cornell would be easier and the size would be adequate but as others have noted, they also play on Saturdays and they also have a football team and they have their games on a college campus...finding 6 or 7 open Saturdays there is very unlikely and it probably isn't worth it to only play one or two games there.

Last time, using three venues for 5 games made this impossible. I was a student then, don't think they even offered us the equivalent of a season ticket that year.

Anyway, if we lose a year of home games at the Dome, I support moving all the games to Ralph Wilson. It is a relatively easy drive, the tailgating would be excellent, it would be easy for out of towners to fly into and I think we would be able to play all the home games there.

UB has a decent facility, it's probably 1/2 hr closer than the Ralph, 30K which should be adequate. A large number of CNY students at the schools in on the Northern part of Erie County. Shouldn't be that hard to alternate dates because they play some games on weeknights.

UB has a decent facility, it's probably 1/2 hr closer than the Ralph, 30K which should be adequate. A large number of CNY students at the schools in on the Northern part of Erie County. Shouldn't be that hard to alternate dates because they play some games on weeknights.
i don't have a strong opinion here. what about cornell?

While we're expressing our preferences for 1979 Redux, I'll add my two cents in favor of a special Amtrak train on (selected?) game days running from Rensselaer/Albany to Buffalo. I guess I'd take a bus but for a 5+ hour trip I prefer being able to get up and walk around now and then.

The Little Engine That Could?

i don't have a strong opinion here. what about cornell?

I like the Cornell idea. Play FSU at Met Life, other "home" games at Cornell. I think their field holds about 25K but how many fans would we get in the Dome after a possible 3-9/4-8 season anyway? Va Tech, Louisville, NC State, USF, Colgate. Tech and Ville are decent draws but still nothing big. They could probably add some bleachers in both end zones to increase capacity, if needed.

djorange1989 said:
I like the Cornell idea. Play FSU at Met Life, other "home" games at Cornell. I think their field holds about 25K but how many fans would we get in the Dome after a possible 3-9/4-8 season anyway? Va Tech, Louisville, NC State, USF, Colgate. Tech and Ville are decent draws but still nothing big. They could probably add some bleachers in both end zones to increase capacity, if needed.

I wonder if the ACC has a minimum capacity requirement. I think they do but wonder if that can be waived for a year due to special circumstances. If not the Bills stadium is the best bet for all games.

I wonder if the ACC has a minimum capacity requirement. I think they do but wonder if that can be waived for a year due to special circumstances. If not the Bills stadium is the best bet for all games.

They probably do but I would think they could waive that if need be.

I love the Cornell idea. I'd fly cross country with my son for that. (He's smarter than daddy - need him thinking ivy.)

I will pledge a 4 figure donation if we announce a new stadium and if we don't win another game this year hire a new staff for next year with no games at the Dome.
I would also still pay for four season tickets as well and tell SU they can keep the money without giving me seats.

If we are keeping SS next year because of renovating the Dome I would expect the school to lose some money from season ticker holders. That would be a bad decision. New staffs get honeymoon periods.

I will pledge a 4 figure donation if we announce a new stadium and if we don't win another game this year hire a new staff for next year with no games at the Dome.
I would also still pay for four season tickets as well and tell SU they can keep the money without giving me seats.

If we are keeping SS next year because of renovating the Dome I would expect the school to lose some money from season ticker holders. That would be a bad decision. New staffs get honeymoon periods.
Who is coaching next year will have little effect on Season Tickets. Unless we hire some huge name and thats not going to happen. At this point we are down to the hard cores.

all this banter is just another reason to build down at Destiny...no missed home games at all. Freaking no brainer (and just like the mall, it's 2015, they'd figure out a way so it wouldn't sink!).

Come on Congels start working it...
I saw Congel and Bruce Kenan having lunch at Margaritaville on Wednesday. Didn't know if they were looking at blueprints, though.

Why would you want to burn the honeymoon of a new staff with every game on the road. That doesn't make any sense. The smart play would be to bring in a new coach with the completed renovations.

Why would you want to burn the honeymoon of a new staff with every game on the road. That doesn't make any sense. The smart play would be to bring in a new coach with the completed renovations.
I want hope for SU FB. SS as the HC of SU give me no hope. I can be patient for someone I believe. I have absolutely zero confidence in SS being an effective HC in a P5 conference. He is a good man and loyal to the area but he is not a HC and keeping for another year makes me feel like I am literally wasting my money giving it to SU.

Is it possible to play 2 @Army, 2 @ Cornell, and a 2 @ at UB?

Alsacs said:
I want hope for SU FB. SS as the HC of SU give me no hope. I can be patient for someone I believe. I have absolutely zero confidence in SS being an effective HC in a P5 conference. He is a good man and loyal to the area but he is not a HC and keeping for another year makes me feel like I am literally wasting my money giving it to SU.

Ya. We know.

Sahlen stadium Rochester. I think it seats about 13,000 perfect for the size crowd were going to get

I have a hard time seeing them moving all home games next year or any year to other sites, next year we only have 6 games and 3 of them will be the first 3 weeks of the season most likely(louisville is very likely to be the game on wk 2 based on teams with openings and one of said teams can only play 1 team since they need to be home that day). Then you can put 2 home games in october and have a late bye week or finish with 3 of 4 on the road in November with 1 home game if they really want to start the renovation that soon. They can do most of the construction after bball/lacrosse are finished and do it in stages

I think phased construction is not out of the question in this particular case especially if dome revenue can be maintained without rent/travel costs for a different facility. Based on the information provided so far there seem to be some pretty clear phases that only have moderate interaction.

I also think it is much more likely that the lacrosse team, while #1 in national lacrosse attendance at 4,100 per game, would be asked to move to another stadium for their season effectively starting the construction schedule March 1. (Soccer stadium w/ expanded temp Seating @ Manley, NBT bank stadium?)

For Phasing in this case you can basically work from the outside in, creating the shell that the new roof, concourses and seating arrangement would be supported on. Then work towards the center possibly doing half the concourses and seats ahead of the other half, and updating the field last because the system works now as is and also seems like the most extravagant expense, (read: most likely to get cut from the budget.)

In Phasing order:
1-Exterior buildings & Exterior New supports for roof structure - Work can happen year round without interrupting game play, may interrupt gate access at Gate A & D (Temp fire exit during events)
2-New Roof Construction -Preferably spring/summer work
- There was some conversation of building the new dome roof directly over the existing roof, this is not out of the question but that structure would be very high and the possibility of existing roof tears would be a concern to be addressed.
3-Concourse & Seating Renovation -mostly summer work (concourses and seats on non basketball side could start in November with some fire exits maintained/limiting capacity to ~32,000 for BBall)
-since exterior work would be ahead of this work likely some use could be made of expanded concourses in perimeter buildings during bball season helping with phasing in other half of the dome
- with some pre-construction/temp bleacher work it could be possible to flip basketball to the other side of the field for the Pre-ACC part of the season depending on speed of renovation expectations.
4-Field renovation - spring summer work - also could start 50% during basketball, no back court vendors for 1 season (unlikely).

I'm opposed to moving Football games anywhere, but I'd think 2016 Football could play @Wake or BYE week 2 (Also open date for Wake) to stretch the construction schedule. Possibly add temporary bleachers to NBT bank stadium outfield/sidelines upping capacity to ~20k and play Colgate there extending the back end of the schedule two weeks. You could try to play USF there buying almost a month but I'm guessing it would be a tight squeeze. Could also play these two games @ Cornell (Cap: 25,597). 2017, only home game listed so far in September is CMU also a smaller capacity option.

We play away at Pitt and BC, in 2016 so I would expect as many home games as possible to be clustered into October.

How about NY State's team does a state tour. Buffalo, Albany, West Point, Ithaca, Meadowlands (NYC metro)...all of them.

Agree it's highly unlikely but Navy has hosted the Military Bowl. Also I have been to quite a few games at West Point and they process opposing team fans onto the post very efficiently. The physical setting is one of the best in the U.S.
As I mentioned above if SU were inclined to make a serious request Chuck Schumer should be involved.
Navy's Stadium is a much easier set up being located away from the main base

Buffalo would be the best for me, since I just relocated here. But this city is honestly possibly the worst college athletics city in the country. I think there are more fans of the Buffalo Bandits of the National Lacrosse League here than there are college football fans. You'd get maybe a couple thousand locals to come to the games and the rest of the attendance would depend on people traveling in.
In 1979 about 10k went to the games at Buffalo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom