Elijah Hughes entering NBA Draft | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Elijah Hughes entering NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he’s going to be our best pro in a while.

One of my favorite players to wear the Orange regardless of how much time he spent here. Wish we had him for longer.
I posted this on nunesmagician also... my personal opinion is...
that Hughes was one of the best players we’ve had in years. While battle was good, Hughes is even better. Going to the NBA was the only rational decision. He was consistently scoring and he did it on a team with few other options, so defenses could key in on him. I just wish we could’ve seen hughes with more talent around him

In the words of Steve Martin, “Oh perfect.”

No surprise but would be nice to have a stud come back like other teams do! If he talks to EtanThomas or had that type of mentality he would think about growing his brand and consider staying.
Does anyone else think his stock could even be higher next year?

I do but I get his age is working against him!

If he is late second round he should think about coming back. But...

HE GONE

I am always amused when someone use the word "the type of mentality" and what he didn't think about, when someone decides not to come back. I'm sure he thought of that.

With 60 two-way contracts now available, with teams investing more in the G-League, going in the second round is not a major issue anymore -- its more about showing you can play and then spots can be made for you. The Toronto Raptors alone this year have Norm Powell who was drafted #47, and Fred Van Vleet, Terance Davis, Matt Thomas and Oshae Brissett who went undrafted.

Also no real evidence development is better at the college level anymore. They are similar.

It's best for him to move on if that is what he wants.

With 60 two-way contracts now available, with teams investing more in the G-League, going in the second round is not a major issue anymore -- its more about showing you can play and then spots can be made for you. The Toronto Raptors alone this year have Norm Powell who was drafted #47, and Fred Van Vleet, Terance Davis, Matt Thomas and Oshae Brissett who went undrafted.

Also no real evidence development is better at the college level anymore. They are similar.

It's best for him to move on if that is what he wants.

How or why would anybody still think guys can "develop better in college"??

As a Pro, or even an aspiring one, you have NO LIMITS on how much time you can practice.
And conversely - you don't have to invest the time to attend and pass college classes.
(not that this was ever a concern for UNCheat student-athletes. ;) )

He's 22. It was a no brainer for him to leave whether he had a good year or not. Being an older senior (next season he'd be 23) is held against you whereas if you're Obi Toppin (a 22 year old sophomore), it weirdly doesn't.

He is as ready as he can be. I can't think of a scenerio where he can exhibit and develop more in an orange uniform. If the team is in position to contend for a F4, he might cherish one more go around, but with the team next year, it will be another down year. This is a no brainer to take the next step.

For those who thinks he can return to develop more to get to a higher draft position, what exactly is the skill(s) he needs to develop to get to that position? Eli is not going to develop into Melo, he has put in his time and he has earned his chance to realize his dream. Good luck!

As a Pro, or even an aspiring one, you have NO LIMITS on how much time you can practice.
And conversely - you don't have to invest the time to attend and pass college classes.

There are still some that think G League teams have poor coaches, no trainers, ride buses all day long, and eat like crap all day. It's 2020 -- not 2013. Things chance.

the NBA is all about getting the best players for little money to fill out a roster and use them a few games a year from the G league.. How many are turning into real full time players?

I posted this on nunesmagician also... my personal opinion is...
that Hughes was one of the best players we’ve had in years. While battle was good, Hughes is even better. Going to the NBA was the only rational decision. He was consistently scoring and he did it on a team with few other options, so defenses could key in on him. I just wish we could’ve seen hughes with more talent around him

Ain't that the truth. Imagine Eli with the talent we used to put on the floor. I loved Battle but Hughes just has a more balanced game which should serve him well in the NBA. Hughes is arguably the least appreciated player (outside the program) that we have EVER had.

the NBA is all about getting the best players for little money to fill out a roster and use them a few games a year from the G league.. How many are turning into real full time players?
i agree. the raptors have gone against this grain, identified a gap in the player acquisition process and have exploited to huge gain. but few other teams seem to be following their lead.

it really depends on what your goals are as a player...imo.

where you are drafted and to which team makes a huge difference on the type of opportunity you get and your chances of making it big.

if you don't care how your career turns out and just want to make some money ...any amount will do...then it doesnt really matter when you go as long as you will get some chance.

but if you wanna be a top level nba player...draft position matters a lot, imo. it sets up everything else in your career. yes, there are examples...the jeremy lins of the world...but those guys are the exception to the rule...

an undrafted player that performed like markelle fultz would be working for ups right now.

now, it doesnt mean hughes could improve his draft stock by staying but ...going second round is not a no-brainer to me.

hughes could dfinitely get better...his 3pt% could get way better, imo...he really dropped off second half of season. he could score more and do more...and be ven better next season and be a lottery pick, imo. not saying he should stay or go...just saying it is possible for him to stay improve and improve his draft position substantially.

You look at the draft board its more likely he doesn't get drafted than does. there are still some higher rated kids who haven't made a decision.

g-league makes about 40K plus some benefits. so if he can get that and actually play some 2-way games he would be making some money and trying to live his dream.

if he can get into the 2nd round thats much better money

still would be better off going to euro than g-league most of the time.

Hughes is keeping his options open to return to the Orange next season. In these uncertain, chaotic times, he thought it best to retain that possibility.

“My intent is to come out. I talked to Coach (Boeheim) and I trust him. He put it in the back of my head to keep my mind open and keep my options open," Hughes said. "So, I’m definitely doing that and returning if things are not in my favor or if it’s not what I wanted to hear or it’s just not looking good.”

seriously so welll said. It always shocks me that selfish fans think the player will be best served staying in college... Go look at G league rosters right now and see some of the talent that you get to be around all day everyday. I’m sorry but Joe Girard isnt making Elijah Hughes better to where he develops more. Any professional association is 100x better for development Including the G league

I don't think that is entirely accurate, but not inaccurate either.

But by kids staying past graduation how does it stop that problem?

doesnt solve any problem.. its more on what does the kid want for the rest of his life.. playing 2-3 yrs in the g-league isnt a long term solution to anything either. if you can further your degree its much easier now than coming back to school in a few yrs. If that doesnt mean anything then go take your shot. if you believe you can get into the NBA then go after it.

I think he is on the career track of Malachi but probably drafted lower to start but further ahead skill wise.

If Elijah Hughes had spent the past two years at Duke and put up the same numbers he did at SU, these scouts would be calling him a lottery pick.

If he was 19 or 20, no question. Looking forward to that changing.

Sorry to see him leave since he was the only above average player on the team this year in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom