Eric Ayala Derail Thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Eric Ayala Derail Thread

I don't doubt you, but I'd sure like to see JB's comments on record re: that topic.

It sure doesn't jibe with the staff actively pursuing a PG later that cycle / prior to signing day after Ennis committed
I didn't mean specifically with Ennis and Morris, I meant in general. He was talking about it a few weeks ago.

They pursued Jordan after Ennis signed, right? That's an important distinction.

But you keep harping on the fact you think we should have been in. The fact is we weren't. Even with white having a historically great year (it was), and Gillon literally singlehandedly winning us games. Imagine if those two were just average or not jedi's for certain second halves? Wow.

I'm not losing my mind over this like some as there is time and I can't control any of it, just want to keep commenting on your posts that keep mentioning "first team out".

Good post. That's my only concern about having to resort to relying upon 5th year players to fill holes. The right ones can, but not everyone has the chops to be an ACC starter.

Gillon and Waters had flaws, and were far from perfect. But your assessment is spot on - we would have been atrocious without them. That's one of the things that is disconcerting about our roster as it currently stands -- we have holes, a lack of shooting, an unsettled situation at lead guard, and no true 3. Scary spot to be in.

I didn't mean specifically with Ennis and Morris, I meant in general. He was talking about it a few weeks ago.

Seems to me it was more of a timing issue. They didn't want to lose Ennis by accepting a commitment from a point guard before he committed. Morris, understandably, didn't want to risk waiting it out and took his best offer at the time. Ennis committed, now the staff went after their second guard. First choice Jordan.

Nobody here is happy with alright being a bubble team and not being ranked. We used to be in the top third of the conference contending for the top every year in our old league. Now a successful season is making the tournament even if we are a bubble team?
We were a bubble team plenty of times when we were in the Big East. And there were more ebbs and flows with where we finished in the standings after the conference expanded.

2015-16 was a successful season, no question. I would say it was more successful than our first year in the ACC, wouldn't you?

Eric Ayala or O79 is going to
upload_2017-4-25_12-26-29.jpeg

But you keep harping on the fact you think we should have been in. The fact is we weren't. Even with white having a historically great year (it was), and Gillon literally singlehandedly winning us games. Imagine if those two were just average or not jedi's for certain second halves? Wow.

I'm not losing my mind over this like some as there is time and I can't control any of it, just want to keep commenting on your posts that keep mentioning "first team out".
Because I don't think it's a bleeping disaster of a season when we're the first team out. Some of you don't realize how good we have it. Not one losing season since JB took over. Not one. Our floor is falling off the bubble and getting one of the top seeds in the NIT.

My hometown teams are Mizzou and SLU. They would kill for our floor.

Good post. That's my only concern about having to resort to relying upon 5th year players to fill holes. The right ones can, but not everyone has the chops to be an ACC starter.

Gillon and Waters had flaws, and were far from perfect. But your assessment is spot on - we would have been atrocious without them. That's one of the things that is disconcerting about our roster as it currently stands -- we have holes, a lack of shooting, an unsettled situation at lead guard, and no true 3. Scary spot to be in.
With the entire summer ahead of us. Some of us like the roller coaster.

Seems to me it was more of a timing issue. They didn't want to lose Ennis by accepting a commitment from a point guard before he committed. Morris, understandably, didn't want to risk waiting it out and took his best offer at the time. Ennis committed, now the staff went after their second guard. First choice Jordan.
I don't disagree with any of that.

No. It was before signing day 2012.

With the entire summer ahead of us. Some of us like the roller coaster.

I'd prefer to make last year's NCAA miss the aberration it should be by locking in a solid roster, actually landing some of the top high school talent we actively pursue, and putting an end to this multi-season trend of double digit losses. But that's just me.

I'd prefer to make last year's NCAA miss the aberration it should be by locking in a solid roster, actually landing some of the top high school talent we actively pursue, and putting an end to this multi-season trend of double digit losses. But that's just me.
And I'd like an evening with Alexis Texas and Beyonce. But that's just me.

Difference being, what I posted could be realistic. And should be, frankly.

Good luck pursuing Beyoncé, though.

Okay -- thanks for the clarification, sounds like a semantics disconnect. You accused me of saying that we "selected Patterson over Morris." For the second time, I didn't say that we SELECTED Patterson over Morris. I'm saying that we didn't prioritize Morris accurately, miscalculated his potential, and eventually had to settle on bringing Patterson when we failed to fill the second backcourt spot that class. It was a flawed recruiting strategy to put all of our eggs in one basket, even if we landed Ennis. It continues to be a flawed strategy, as evidenced by how the staff handled Randolph / Green, who we were chasing to fill our two biggest roster holes that still remain unfilled.

The staff very easily could have made Morris a conditional offer, or told him that he needed to wait until after Ennis committed. They didn't -- they told him they weren't interested [same as some other players who will remain nameless for the purposes of not derailing this thread further].

I loved the detail in your response above, pfister -- but roster management and thinking ahead is an important job of the coaching staff. They haven't done a particularly good job of roster management since 2013, a situation that has become exacerbated in recent years with the scholarship reductions, and several players expected to be contributors washing out in recent seasons.
One thing I haven't heard discussed is we didn't even offer Morris and he committed before Ennis. I actually forgot about that. Good lord. So if Ennis had changed his mind we would have been up the creek. I'm not sure if you are noticing a trend here. If you need help change the name Tyler Ennis to Isaiah Washington or Matt Coleman.

To keep this on topic, would you rather have a weekend with those two or have Ayala in Orange

And look, I think the point above about our fanbase being lucky to have our program's consistency is a valid one. We HAVE been spoiled over the years. And every team -- even elite ones -- has some year-over-year variance, and some underachieve. Duke was rated by many publications as the #1 preseason team, and their season fell well short of that. It happens.

James Boeheim is, in my humble opinion, one of the top 10 coaches in college basketball history. He's an outstanding game coach. His teams are consistently good. We might not have some of the highest highs, but we also completely avoid the lowest lows under Boeheim that many other programs experience. Most other teams would kill to be in our position. Our worst years are NIT seasons, where we approach 20 wins.

But the flipside to that is that we have a hall of fame coach. One poor season could be an aberration -- or caused by a key injury, etc. We've been down for several seasons. Some of this is undoubtedly based upon the incredibly harsh NCAA sanctions we had leveled at our program with both barrels. But the slippage is noticeable and obvious, and unacceptable for a Boeheim coached team over a multi-year period.

What the coaching staff was accustomed to doing before on the recruiting trail doesn't seem to be working anymore. Maybe it's that millenials are just a little bit different that kids from previous generations, and what worked before isn't working as well anymore. But whatever the cause, the approach to recruiting needs to evolve, because we're now facing a multi-season trend of double digit losses -- which is not where a JAB coached team should be.

Are we also getting Tucker or nah?
Yeah, there are a lot of details that would have to be worked out. Are we talking pregnant Beyonce? Does that matter to you Day2?

"Maybe it's that millenials are just a little bit different that kids from previous generations, and what worked before isn't working as well anymore."

I think this is definitely part of it. I think the recruiting game has definitely changed and with social media, more phone calls, texts etc that the staff has to be in their game and show these kids love as much as possible. If course going to see them play and not falling asleep also helps ;)

We need to build a long term base with players that fit our system and want to be here. Our top players constantly leaving each year undermines our stability and we should go the Nova route if possible with returning players and more consistency. Pipe dream but we gotta play the cards dealt

I agree but those kinds of players will be way down the trough and the picked over ones because of the all zone and other factors, imo. Just can't keep having bubble seasons and another season of missing the tourney will be devastating to the allure of the program which I think is slipping a bit day by day. Momentum is a big thing. Teams like Miami and VT are really trending up (despite first round Tourney exits!) and it is hard to fathom that they are crushing SU in recruiting currently. Looks like MJ Walker to VT is a strong possibility too. Those are some facilities down in Blacksburg also...not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom