Extremely Ignorant UNC Fan Here: Question About UConn | Syracusefan.com

Extremely Ignorant UNC Fan Here: Question About UConn

hobbit88

Walk On
I am totally ignorant about college football; I scarcely notice Carolina's football team much less anyone else's.

My understanding is that the ACC wants programs that have established basketball AND football programs. And I seem to have caught some buzz that UConn has a negligible football program. Is that right? Or have I been listening to slanderous reports?

I'm starting to think, why not just go ahead and expand to 16 schools as soon as we can do so and maintain some decent standards, both athletically and academically.

I don't know about UConn's academic reputation, but they have obviously had outstanding success in basketball. Do they fit the bill academically and football-wise?

And too, it would be good to avoid habitual NCAA offenders, although Carolina has finally blown it with their football program in that department (never happened before to my knowledge).

Seems like Calhoun is in some hot water. Is it serious enough to impair their suitability as another ACC member?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

why would calhoun's problems stop uconn? The ACC is not going to throw out UNC in football? Miami in everything. Half the league seems to be in trouble.

I am totally ignorant about college football; I scarcely notice Carolina's football team much less anyone else's.

My understanding is that the ACC wants programs that have established basketball AND football programs. And I seem to have caught some buzz that UConn has a negligible football program. Is that right? Or have I been listening to slanderous reports?

I'm starting to think, why not just go ahead and expand to 16 schools as soon as we can do so and maintain some decent standards, both athletically and academically.

I don't know about UConn's academic reputation, but they have obviously had outstanding success in basketball. Do they fit the bill academically and football-wise?

And too, it would be good to avoid habitual NCAA offenders, although Carolina has finally blown it with their football program in that department (never happened before to my knowledge).

Seems like Calhoun is in some hot water. Is it serious enough to impair their suitability as another ACC member?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

They are FBS, but as far as I know BC is blocking them, cause Uconn sued them back when they left!

why would calhoun's problems stop uconn? The ACC is not going to throw out UNC in football? Miami in everything. Half the league seems to be in trouble.

Yikes, forgot about Miami and their troubles. Like I said, I just don't pay much attention to football.

Sounds like UConn's football program is young but healthy. Maybe they're who we need to be looking at sure enough.

What's their academic reputation like?

UConn has only been a 1A program since 2000. Yet they've been to more BCS bowls than Rutgers.

And Rutgers started playing in '69.

Dean Smith used to schedule Rutgers in basketball alot, and lately we've played them in football too. I've wondered why, just, Rutgers? Who ever heard of Rutgers outside of people on the East Coast?

UConn is a football newbie ... has been D-1 (BCS) for only about 10 years. Last year they got lucky in a bad football conference and went to a BCS bowl -- where they embarrassed themselves and the entire Big East. The next day, their coach resigned to go to Maryland, and they hired a coach who had been fired by Syracuse six years earlier.

Academically, they are middle of the pack in the Big East. They're not Georgetown or Villanova, but they are better than Cincy, Lville, etc. Each year they become more of a national school, and each year it is more difficult for CT kids to get admitted there.

They have a rapidly expanding campus in the middle of nowhere; half of the campus is still dominated by an agricultural school.

They have a brand new president and an interim athletic director (after new president fired the old athletic director who is, ironically, the chair of the NCAA basketball selection committee). The instability at the top there obviously has not been helpful to them in the current conference reallignment dance.

UConn is a football newbie ... has been D-1 (BCS) for only about 10 years. Last year they got lucky in a bad football conference and went to a BCS bowl -- where they embarrassed themselves and the entire Big East. The next day, their coach resigned to go to Maryland, and they hired a coach who had been fired by Syracuse six years earlier.

Academically, they are middle of the pack in the Big East. They're not Georgetown or Villanova, but they are better than Cincy, Lville, etc. Each year they become more of a national school, and each year it is more difficult for CT kids to get admitted there.

They have a rapidly expanding campus in the middle of nowhere; half of the campus is still dominated by an agricultural school.

They have a brand new president and an interim athletic director (after new president fired the old athletic director who is, ironically, the chair of the NCAA basketball selection committee). The instability at the top there obviously has not been helpful to them in the current conference reallignment dance.

Nice summary, thanks for the dope. Hey Rossco, what is CTO? Chief Technology Officer?

I'd say they are respectable academically here #59 on the list.

Calhoun has certainly had his share of conformance issues here but I'm not sure if it would be grounds to bar them from the ACC (If you take Miami, you'll take anyone)... I think Uconn will be in if the ACC decides to expand further.

If it's basketball you care about, root for the ACC to grab YouCon also

Nice summary, thanks for the dope. Hey Rossco, what is CTO? Chief Technology Officer?

I am probably the furthest thing from a "chief technology officer" you have ever met. CTO stands for "Connecticut Orange" (I'm an SU fan/grad who lives in CT). And don't pay attention to Dash. He gives me a hard time because my father once arrested him. ;)

CTO hit the nail on the head. Their football program is young but they went to a BCS game last year. Losing their coach didn't help though.

Academically, they're stronger than many here will care to admit. It was sort of a crap school back in the day, but I credit Calhoun with a lot of what's helped UConn rise academically. That basketball program has caused a lot of kids who would go out of state in the 80s to stay at home, and UConn has gotten some great students as a result.

ACC wise they're probably a bit stronger then Clemson academically, they'll be middle of the pack.

Storrs still sucks though.

UConn has only been a 1A program since 2000. Yet they've been to more BCS bowls than Rutgers.

BCS has only been around since '98

1998. they have been better recently than rutgers, but we havent exactly been competing for BCS spots every year either

CTO hit the nail on the head. Their football program is young but they went to a BCS game last year. Losing their coach didn't help though.

Academically, they're stronger than many here will care to admit. It was sort of a crap school back in the day, but I credit Calhoun with a lot of what's helped UConn rise academically. That basketball program has caused a lot of kids who would go out of state in the 80s to stay at home, and UConn has gotten some great students as a result.

ACC wise they're probably a bit stronger then Clemson academically, they'll be middle of the pack.

Storrs still sucks though.

Speaking of Clemson, found this interesting tidbit on Google:

USC academics near bottom of SEC

USC may well be ahead of Clemson on the football field, but in the classroom, recent rankings tell a different story.
U.S. News & World Report's annual rankings, widely followed but often criticized in higher education circles, list USC as the 111th best university and the 54th best public college in its 2012 version, released to the public Tuesday. In 2011, the university was also ranked as the 111th best university but dropped two spots on the public list for 2012.
Clemson came in 68th overall and was listed in the Top 25 for public universities. Clemson is also one of the magazine's 25 "up and coming" universities and was noted as a top-10 university for undergraduate teaching.

Clemson ranked higher than Southern Cal academically? Whodathunkit?

And let's not forget, that coach that took them to a BCS bowl game was an SU graduate, football player and coach. :)

Speaking of Clemson, found this interesting tidbit on Google:

USC academics near bottom of SEC

USC may well be ahead of Clemson on the football field, but in the classroom, recent rankings tell a different story.
U.S. News & World Report's annual rankings, widely followed but often criticized in higher education circles, list USC as the 111th best university and the 54th best public college in its 2012 version, released to the public Tuesday. In 2011, the university was also ranked as the 111th best university but dropped two spots on the public list for 2012.
Clemson came in 68th overall and was listed in the Top 25 for public universities. Clemson is also one of the magazine's 25 "up and coming" universities and was noted as a top-10 university for undergraduate teaching.

Clemson ranked higher than Southern Cal academically? Whodathunkit?

Haha they're talking about South Carolina man.

BCS has only been around since '98

1998. they have been better recently than rutgers, and they have been to more BCS bowls than SU also

You're aware that SU went to the 1999 Orange Bowl, right?

oops forgot that one :bat:

It's a good game to forget. I don't know which was worse... the game itself or the rats in that decrepit old stadium

It's a good game to forget. I don't know which was worse... the game itself or the rats in that decrepit old stadium

I hope those rats are Marlins fans. :)

I'll bet McNabb still has Jevon Kearse nightmares from that game.

One other thing in regards to UConn. The Huskies, along with ND and Louisville have the Big East's best overall athletics programs - most of which has been accomplished just over the past 20 years. SU is just now getting to be the 4th one thanks to TGD.

They certainly would be one of my realistic preferences for the final 2 ACC slots.

Cheers,
Neil

Rutgers has been showing up for Big East football games since 1991 and yet has never been able to win even a share of a BE championship.

Yukon has managed to go 5-2 twice since joining the BE in 2004, grabbing a share of the title both times. Last year they were in a 3-way tie with Pitt and WVU, playing both at home. Beating Pitt by 2 and WVU in OT by 3 thanks to 4 lost WVU fumbled, including one in OT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom