Fans discussion | Syracusefan.com

Fans discussion

Cusefan95

All Conference
There's been a lot of talk about the quality of the fans at Syracuse - locals, alumni, and students getting bashed by the other segments of the base at times. I wanted to share a little of my experience yesterday which effects all three and I believe has a negative impact on attendance.

I parked at Manley, and knew with the crowds we needed to tailgate early and get to the stadium early. We got in line for the busses at 2:23PM. We finally got a bus and got dropped off at Syracuse at 2:45. The security lines at the stadium were insanely long, and we finally got into the dome at 3:19. Standing in the rain for 30 minutes was lots of fun, btw. Just barely made it to my seat for kickoff after taking a bathroom stop on my way there. (I suspect the lines are a big reason for how many empty seats there were at kickoff).

That is just flat out not acceptable. There aren't enough parking spaces around the stadium, so lots of fans park at spots where busses are used to get them to campus. There were not enough busses for the size of the crowd yesterday. Same thing happened at the Minnesota game in Marrone's first year. Then the security lines were insane...trying to have the same guys checking bags and using the metal detectors is poor logistical planning. Them continuing to do so when there's 1000 people standing in front of you is really, really sad. That's not an attempt to maintain safety - that's an attempt to maintain the appearance of safety while inadvertently creating obviously unsafe crowd conditions. I heard multiple people saying that kind of stuff is why they just watch the games from home, dealing with the mess just trying to get into the stadium isn't worth it.

One thing the university needs to do is get its logistical together. They can market the crap out of football, but when your fans are pissed before they even get into the stadium because of how much of a hassle it is, your likelyhood of repeat customers drops substantially. Wanna know why "the fans suck"? It's because the University runs a pathetic show that does a fantastic job driving fans away. It's been that way for 20 years, but I hold out hope that at some point someone on the hill will finally figure this stuff out.

I haven't parked at Manley or Skytop in the 5 years I've had season tickets now, mostly from past experience with basketball games. The bussing situation is horrible, even worse when you're leaving the game. I'd never advise anyone to park there or Skytop for that reason but mostly because you can find good parking near the dome within walking distance. I agree with you, the university needs to market these options better to those that aren't familiar with the university area.

I was shut out of my usual parking spot yesterday even though we got up there around 11am but the bank lot across from CVS on E Adams St had plenty of spots available and wasn't shut down until about 1pm.

Got to gate at 2:26, walked into revolving door at 2:26. Boy was I irritated. I felt like I missed out in my opportunity to complain and be late.

Everyone wants to bitch about this, but everyone also wants to show up as late as possible without being late.
How do you feel about lines at roller coasters? When you show up at Red Lobster at 6pm on a Friday night an have to wait for a table, do you complain and say that the chain needs to get its crap together? Good Lord.

We entered the stadium at 3 pm - no line and no problem.

Entered through the lower gates on the north side of the Dome.

There's been a lot of talk about the quality of the fans at Syracuse - locals, alumni, and students getting bashed by the other segments of the base at times. I wanted to share a little of my experience yesterday which effects all three and I believe has a negative impact on attendance.

I parked at Manley, and knew with the crowds we needed to tailgate early and get to the stadium early. We got in line for the busses at 2:23PM. We finally got a bus and got dropped off at Syracuse at 2:45. The security lines at the stadium were insanely long, and we finally got into the dome at 3:19. Standing in the rain for 30 minutes was lots of fun, btw. Just barely made it to my seat for kickoff after taking a bathroom stop on my way there. (I suspect the lines are a big reason for how many empty seats there were at kickoff).

That is just flat out not acceptable. There aren't enough parking spaces around the stadium, so lots of fans park at spots where busses are used to get them to campus. There were not enough busses for the size of the crowd yesterday. Same thing happened at the Minnesota game in Marrone's first year. Then the security lines were insane...trying to have the same guys checking bags and using the metal detectors is poor logistical planning. Them continuing to do so when there's 1000 people standing in front of you is really, really sad. That's not an attempt to maintain safety - that's an attempt to maintain the appearance of safety while inadvertently creating obviously unsafe crowd conditions. I heard multiple people saying that kind of stuff is why they just watch the games from home, dealing with the mess just trying to get into the stadium isn't worth it.

One thing the university needs to do is get its logistical together. They can market the crap out of football, but when your fans are pissed before they even get into the stadium because of how much of a hassle it is, your likelyhood of repeat customers drops substantially. Wanna know why "the fans suck"? It's because the University runs a pathetic show that does a fantastic job driving fans away. It's been that way for 20 years, but I hold out hope that at some point someone on the hill will finally figure this stuff out.

Those wands are really stupid. Install some high tech equipment and be done with it.

Everyone leave your house a little earlier for big games. Problem solved

Whatever. Go to the gates as far as possible from where the busses drop off and there's no issue there. How many people are going to do that? Especially the fans that don't typically come to games? (You know, the ones that are going to make a difference to attendance).

Again, this is a problem. I fully expect the die-hards here that bitch endlessly about crappy fans aren't going to get it any better than the university does, and we'll continue to struggle to improve on attendance. And the die-hard "experts" on the board are still going to come up with all kinds of great ideas on how to fix the situation, while ignoring stuff like this. And wondering why nothing works.

Everyone leave your house a little earlier for big games. Problem solved

...or sit on your couch and watch the game on TV. If you gotta leave your house three hours before a game to get to your seat on time, it ain't gonna happen. So no - problem not solved.

This was possibly the stupidest post I've ever seen on this board, so congrats on that though...

...or sit on your couch and watch the game on TV. If you gotta leave your house three hours before a game to get to your seat on time, it ain't gonna happen. So no - problem not solved.

This was possibly the stupidest post I've ever seen on this board, so congrats on that though...
If that is the stupidest post you've ever seen on this board, you haven't read a lot of the board. But back to the point - Complaining about being inconvenienced by not being able to leave your house a short time before kickoff - sheesh. You're not going to a movie here. You're going to an event with 45K + people.

Correction, your comment just jumped to the top of the most stupid posts. Who has to leave house 3 hours early to get to game? You factor 15 to 20 minutes for security and again problem solved.

Get to the game earlier and why in gods name would anyone park at manley? Id rather get kicked in the nuts

-
Apparently some can't fathom the idea of leaving the house earlier.

Not saying I agree or disagree with your point, but a friend and I got to Gate E around 3PM and there was absolutely no line. In fact, the security guys were practically begging us to go through so they could have something to do lol.

Whatever. Go to the gates as far as possible from where the busses drop off and there's no issue there. How many people are going to do that? Especially the fans that don't typically come to games? (You know, the ones that are going to make a difference to attendance).

Again, this is a problem. I fully expect the die-hards here that bitch endlessly about crappy fans aren't going to get it any better than the university does, and we'll continue to struggle to improve on attendance. And the die-hard "experts" on the board are still going to come up with all kinds of great ideas on how to fix the situation, while ignoring stuff like this. And wondering why nothing works.

95% of the attendance problems are of SU's own doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew my schedule was tight with my daughters having an away soccer game at Solvay high school at 2PM. Left that game late in the first half around 2:50 to find out the 6 PM birthday party my other daughter had was at 3PM so I went to Strathmore got her and brought her to the party near Bellevue CC.

It was about 3:10 and my son (Mr. Boots) and I drove to the street next to MLK school, parked and walked up the hill. Got to the dome and went up to gate L and waited about 5 minutes for security and were in the dome hallway to see the plume of smoke from when the SU players ran in. We were in our seats in the top row of 311 for the start of the game. Couldn't have asked for more than that knowing my schedule was likely to make me late.

Which part of what happened to you was a surprise?!?!

We had 150 people in our tailgate, located about a 5 minute walk from the dome. We pretty much had the tailgate broken down 2:30 and the overwhelming majority were walking to the dome by 2:45. Those who stuck around knew they were risking not making kick off - which is their perrogotive. The university sent out its usual message to get to the dome early because of big crowds and security.

my point is, people who had a 5 minute walk packed up a huge tailgate and were headed out 45 minutes ahead of kick off. you waited until 65 minutes before kick off and you had to get in line for a bus, wait for a bus, ride the bus for 10-12 minutes and then arrived during the late rush and are upset that you didn't get into your seat in time.

Failure to plan on your part, does not create an emergency for the university.

Does it suck that there's shitty parking near the dome? Absolutely, and its getting WORSE. But the only reason anyone is not getting to their seat in time for kick off is because they had a shitty plan or shitty execution of their plan.

The dome is extremely user friendly. I have parked where ever I wanted for the past twenty years. I treat the game like a day or night out, not like a physical. The tickets are cheap and its a great time even when we lose.

CNY needs to stop dying.

95% of the attendance problems are of SU's own doing.

Bees, Do you have enough space in Your backyard so we can just build you a new SU football stadium and you can just roll out of bed, watch the game, and not have to deal with the unbelievable inconvenience of attending a Syracuse sporting event?

Or at worst can you at least create a "Bees complaint board" which I can simply choose not to read and I don't have to continually wade through your anti-SU admin agenda?

In short, you complain too much.

The dome is extremely user friendly. I have parked where ever I wanted for the past twenty years. I treat the game like a day or night out, not like a physical. The tickets are cheap and its a great time even when we lose.

CNY needs to stop dying.

Oh amen to this.

Bees, Do you have enough space in Your backyard so we can just build you a new SU football stadium and you can just roll out of bed, watch the game, and not have to deal with the unbelievable inconvenience of attending a Syracuse sporting event?

Or at worst can you at least create a "Bees complaint board" which I can simply choose not to read and I don't have to continually wade through your anti-SU admin agenda?

To be fair, attending a game was a lot easier when you could just hitch your horse up next to Flanagan Gymnasium.

:)

I go to the games. I'm talking about the ones that don't, like you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I go to the games. I'm talking about the ones that don't, like you.

I was in the house yesterday, Beess (301 row F seat 4) as I will be for a total of 10 SU football games this year. And the only "roll out of bed game" home game for me was the Penn State game at Met Life.

Now you can probably understand why those of us fans who do travel more than 15 minutes to the Dome get a little annoyed at your continual harping about traffic and parking issues right? I'm serious about that complaint board too. Would save me a lot of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom