FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

The thing that is crazy to me in all this is that the funneling of money is coming from very traceable sources. It doesn't seem very smart to have a top assistant directly involved in this sort of thing. Too easy to get back to the head coach and university.

Another thing to consider here - there's more than one way to skin a cat.

When I was closely covering/following recruiting in the mid 2000s I was told that several schools (um, can you smell the tobacco burning?) use boosters for making the deals and delivering the goods... the coaches identify the kids they're recruiting, and the booster independently handles contacting the kid/family and makes the negotiations/delivery. In most cases the coach doesn't even know the terms of the deal, he just knows the kid signed the LOI.

This is smart for 'plausible deniability' - if the school gets caught, the response is "OH NO, that's just a rouge booster, whatever are we to do????"

But once you have your assistants directly involved, it gets a whole lot harder to say "gosh, golly-gee I had no idea this was going on" if you're the head coach.

So for everyone clamoring for Kentucky to go down, they might not be operating in the manner that is currently being investigated. It appears the focus of the investigation is a closed-loop 'sneaker company/agent/university' system. It's possible that there are other universities cheating their pants off, but just not in the way that the current investigation is focused. Since the FBI opened up a hotline, they're probably fishing for other inducement systems outside of the current investigatory window?

Mason
These people were thinking they needed to hide the money from the NCAA, not the FBI. Whole 'nother level of deceit required for the latter.

Believe you may not be totally correct on that, any transfer of funds greater than 10,ooo (I think) dollars and not reporting the transaction is now in violation of the law. This was enacted as a security measure against terrorism a few years ago if my memory is correct.
More than a few years. When I worked in banking in the late 80's-early 90's, this law was in effect. Indeed, banks look for patterns of any transactions consistently under $10k, both in-bound and out-bound, and will flag accounts to the FBI/SService if they think something's fishy.

He really has ZERO shame. I mean, we all already knew that but sheesh

If Tricky Ricky is Coach-2 in the indictment as speculated above then he is going to jail. He should not be worried about protecting legacy, wins or national championships, he should be concerned with protecting his backside.

These people were thinking they needed to hide the money from the NCAA, not the FBI. Whole 'nother level of deceit required for the latter.

And if not for an SEC securities fraud investigation against a financial advisor, the FBI still wouldn't know.

Yep.

989A50B9-D83A-4D75-944E-A863A591D382.gif

I don't want to be annoying law review grammar guy, but if you're head of the NCAA (supposedly an academically-oriented organization) and the Feds basically expose you as worthless, please issue a statement that is at least grammatically correct. The verb in the first sentence describes "nature" not "charges," so it should be "is" and not "are." And this guy has a doctorate?

They seem to have guys from a lot of different schools. But hate seeing three of ours with them.
Especially three of the highest ranked recruits SU has had recently. Lots was shady with McCullough's recruitment and 1-and-doneness.

That's a great point. I was just thinking these people are fools but that totally explains it.

I wonder if stuff leaks out daily for awhile or just these next few days . Or just another big announcement months from now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom