FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

Arizona and USC don't surprise me at all. I am surprised and disappointed that Kentucky and Baylor didn't made the list. On the other hand, I thought all the action was in paying recruits to go to your school and this was mostly handled by boosters. I didn't realize coaches were taking money.

So the schools implicated (I believe they listed 7 in the affidavits):

University 1: Auburn
University 2: South Carolina
University 3: Oklahoma State
University 4: Arizona
University 5: USC
University 6: Louisville
University 7: Miami

My son's high school just announced a partnership with Adidas. I'm intrigued to see if that changes. They gave us a grant of $25K to help with the name change from the Rebels to the Wolves...

seems appropriate, given that adidas is behaving far more lupine than rebellious

NCAA Rationale:

Boeheim recruited Bland, ---------->Bland took money to steer recruits in a certain direction-------------->Boeheim must've known------------------> Death Penalty for SU Hoops.

I hate to say this but burn it all down... Ive steadily lost interest in college hoops for exactly this reason. I used to hate the NBA but its a better product where players get paid to go to work. Ill take that over this shady junk moving forward.

I will take the under parlayed with RP takes zero responsibility but thinks that its best for the institution that he loves

The second part of your parlay (that Pitino takes zero responsibility but leaves out of love for the school) is a 100% possibility, so I hope you didn't get better odds for adding that to the parlay.

I agree on paying recruits but not sure on the directing players to agents bit. That could be their weakness...

I don't agree on paying recruits because the top rated 100 players every year read about the 100 million dollar plus NBA contracts all the time and this is their goals too. Giving them $5,000 to $10,000 a year will not stop the big boys and it will put parity further behind the rear view mirror. Not every D-I program can afford this and Tittle -9 SAYS " HELLO " what about us.

The second part of your parlay (that Pitino takes zero responsibility but leaves out of love for the school) is a 100% possibility, so I hope you didn't get better odds for adding that to the parlay.
that's a Givin...just like death and not paying taxes as a recruit.

I hate to say this but burn it all down... Ive steadily lost interest in college hoops for exactly this reason. I used to hate the NBA but its a better product where players get paid to go to work. Ill take that over this shady junk moving forward.

The door is right behind you, good sir. And leave your lighter on the table on your way out.

Fraschilla: "I have a hunch that the NCAA was aware of this. It would not surprise me that the NCAA fed information to the FBI and Justice Department. Knowing they have no juice, it would not surprise me that they used them to help. Just a hunch"
Fran should have outed the 30% yeas ago or when he was coaching. The media "insiders" turning a blind eye and now expressing moral outrage is phonier than the coach and school saying they care about academics. You aren't a hero Fran. Step aside.

Okay, well, I thought I'd weigh in a bit here. First of all, if you have a favorite college basketball team, you should worry. This scandal could hit any program as it goes forward.

How should I describe dirty recruiting? Its like filing out your taxes.

>1% of them fill out all the forms correctly and do not lie or exaggerate anything

>69% stretch the meaning of the law to fit their situation

>29.9999% flat out lie and make stuff up that isn't true.

>Kentucky killed their grandparents, hid them in the basement and are continuing to cash their SS checks.

Teams caught today are in the 29.9999999% category.

We're in the 69% group---but the details of which for any of these programs would be unflattering.

Some other thoughts:

Fran Fraschilla is going to be asked how he knew a month ahead of time.

The entire Louisville hoops program is going to be nuked. AD to ball boy. They will be lucky if they are allowed to play this year. Even their resident apologist Forde is on board.

So the NCAA was left in the dark? - not surprising, but I certainly wouldn't doubt that someone at the NCAA took money from a shoe company to keep one of their teams off probation. The NCAA is corrupt with a capital C.

Miami is going to get hit hard - its their second big scandal.

Jalen Carey is ours...:)
If I was in Compliance and investigation unit from the NCAA I would be lawyering up ASAP as you have to believe someone from Adidas will do whatever they can to lessen their charges.

Fran should have outed the 30% yeas ago or when he was coaching. The media "insiders" turning a blind eye and now expressing moral outrage is phonier than the coach and school saying they care about academics. You aren't a hero Fran. Step aside.
Where does that get him? Nothing would change, unless he had tapes, which A) I'm sure is difficult to get a HC talking about paying recruits and B) has its own legal entanglements depending on the state. He publishes some suspicions and people question his motivation for doing so and he loses any access to college coaches for reporting. Bilas doesn't talk about it either, and I'm sure he gets the inside scoop from his contacts.

I don't agree on paying recruits because the top rated 100 players every year read about the 100 million dollar plus NBA contracts all the time and this is their goals too. Giving them $5,000 to $10,000 a year will not stop the big boys and it will put parity further behind the rear view mirror. Not every D-I program can afford this and Tittle -9 SAYS " HELLO " what about us.
I'm talking about what the complaints allege (and how other schools might get caught) not my position on paying athletes.

If in fact we are clean , which I believe we are, I wonder what went through Boeheims mind upon getting the news.

Damn I knew it! Or Wow can't believe it was to this extent or that explains our recruiting shortfalls or they are looking at only a grain of sand on the beach so far or Duke and Kentucky are going to be getting theirs soon

And all this time we thought our zone and facilities were main recruiting issues

Oh to be a fly on the wall at the Boeheim house

Agreed On Fran.
Having read all the complaints last night I still think this story is strange in respect of this all seems so minor (relatively speaking). I'm surprised the FBI was interested in a 20k payment to Book Richardson. Methinks there has to be more to the story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom