FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

FBI arrests Assistant Basketball Coaches in Corruption Scheme

No as in guys currently on their roster or recently recruited.

Right, I understand. As in zero evidence that this agency was on the take from Louisville. Past, or present. So if that theory is blown, and you are still investigating, or suggesting there are more hits to come, wouldn't you start from that list with the schools who had the most clients with this agency that's been raided?

Correct. So if I am a player who got money and did not pay taxes, I'm not calling the tip line. The players are not totally innocent in this, because I am going to take a HUUUUGE leap and guess that not a one paid any taxes. How do you pay taxes on money not legally obtained. I don't think there is a line for that on the 1040!!

Line 17 (at least it used to be) - other income. IRS can't ask you what it is

didnt read the whole thread at all so maybe these were all covered but if not...

- wasn't Bland supposed to go to UW but didn't? wonder who killed that and why
- could this be the demise of some while programs? if so, could it actually trigger some back fill conference realignment?
- would CuseLifer11 be floored if Noel took a bag?
- will the NCAA declare this not a wheelhouse thing because they had no clue it was going on?
- will anyone question why the hell the NCAA had no clue it was going on?
- how far back will this investigation go?
- would they all have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids?
I thought it was Jason Hart that was heading to UW.

Right, I understand. As in zero evidence that this agency was on the take from Louisville. Past, or present. So if that theory is blown, and you are still investigating, or suggesting there are more hits to come, wouldn't you start from that list with the schools who had the most clients with this agency that's been raided?

I know that one of the guys that was arrested today Christian Dawkins worked at ASM and directly paid Brian Bowen by wire according to the report. He also paid 150k in other payments to two players. I’m assuming Lonnie Walker is one. I would gather this was why ASM was raided.

I only listed the schools that appeared more than once. Peyton Siva is a current client.
Plus, as Cusefan0307 mentioned, there could be current players/recruits involved too.

One is more than not 1, and perhaps not all of the agencies business was shady.

I know that one of the guys that was arrested today Christian Dawkins worked at ASM and directly paid Brian Bowen by wire according to the report. He also paid 150k in other payments to two players. I’m assuming Lonnie Walker is one. I would gather this was why ASM was raided.

I'm impressed you've gotten that deep into the report.

you are correct sir, and while confirming your correctness I came across this nugget

"When USC interviewed Hopkins for its head coaching job in 2013, Hopkins told then-athletic director Pat Haden he would hire former Syracuse players Hart and Tony Bland as his assistant coaches."

hope this thing doesn't touch Hart

didnt read the whole thread at all so maybe these were all covered but if not...

- could this be the demise of some while programs? if so, could it actually trigger some back fill conference realignment?
- will the NCAA declare this not a wheelhouse thing because they had no clue it was going on?
No Hart was supposed to go to UW. Bland is the associate head coach and Hop offered that to Hart.

not sure about others but i kinda feel like when a player transfers (while I still wish the very best for him, truly), he's no longer an orangeman.

you are correct sir, and while confirming your correctness I came across this nugget

"When USC interviewed Hopkins for its head coaching job in 2013, Hopkins told then-athletic director Pat Haden he would hire former Syracuse players Hart and Tony Bland as his assistant coaches."

hope this thing doesn't touch Hart
Yes, Hop also wanted to hire both of them when he went to Washington last spring. But Bland was staying put at USC as associate HC. Hop then tried to land just Hart, who he is close with, but USC gave him a raise. Hop is probably thanking his lucky stars Bland didn't go with him to UW.

Oh, I don't know. Maybe the fact that the 'Ville coaches arranged for exotic dancers/prostitutes to 'entertain' 15, count 'em, 15 hoops recruits? They skated with a one-year post-season ban and a, wait for it, $5ooo fine. Oh, and Slick Rick survived then. And now this? I don't support capital punishment, but Papa John's U deserves the death penalty if anyone ever deserved the death penalty.

It's Pickle Rick now.

As I read this, the voice in my head was totally the guy at the end of SOAP episodes.

As I read this, the voice in my head was totally the guy at the end of SOAP episodes.

when I wrote it too, lol

giphy.gif

For the third time...

This qualifies as Barely Informed Rank Speculation, but there seems to be no shortage of it right now, so here you go:

I took a look at this Blazer Capital firm, which provided wealth management services to athletes and entertainers. Not surprisingly, they didn't have a public roster of their clients. However, reporting around the time Marty Blazer was charged linked a few athletes to the firm, because they were suing him over misappropriated funds.

Additionally, one of Blazer Capital's former partners, Rob Wilson, has a media presence (his own YouTube channel/podcast, appearances on CNN, interviews, etc.) Through those avenues, a number of his clients have been named. As far as I know, Wilson was not implicated in any of Marty Blazer's crimes (Wilson's FINRA and SEC profiles aren't marked with the same notes related to the investigation as Blazer's are), but they were clients of the firm and Blazer may have had contact with them.

The list is below (sorry about the size):
Blazer_Capital3.png

Blazer Capital was based in Pittsburgh, so the Pitt/Penn State stuff isn't surprising (plus alums from each school were partners). Greg Little is an interesting name, given he was previously declared ineligible and sent a "letter of permanent disassociation" from UNC, which "prohibit the players from contacting current UNC athletes, bar them from the Kenan Football Center and other campus athletic facilities, and prohibit them from providing recruiting or financial assistance for athletics." Plus, he was briefly part of the basketball program before focusing on football full time.

Obviously this list is very likely irrelevant. Blazer Capital used to advertise that its athletes had signed over half a billion dollars worth of contracts, so this list is likely (very) incomplete. But I wasted time this evening looking into it, so here it is.

*EDIT: fixed a (recurring) typo in the image*

Last edited:
Correct, it was JasonHart not Tony Bland who accepted with Mike Hopkins/Washington and later decided to stay with USC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom