Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

One other thought:

How did they suppose they were gonna pay $250 million in Dome renos if they can't pay off the few million due on the Melo and Ensley Centers?

Let's try and remember.

It was going to be NY State money and big, unidentified donors and of course a big slug of money from naming rights.

The Dome is a fine, if not spectacular, venue for college football and lacrosse and passable for basketball.

If the football team were better, attendance would be fine.

Joanie is our last hope here. Let's hope her SU fandom and ties to Cuomo can shake things up in next year's state budget. Recent news shows the state is ready and willing to fund private investments if they see a clear economic ROI.

In the meantime, I want to punch whoever was respsonsible for leaking those renderings. And Sala can go to helm for guaranteeing AC.

raw

Last edited:
Seems like they cannot do this without NY state funding (still 2nd hand info but others can confirm or not). Not sure why SU admin cannot go on a multiyear capital campaign for the Dome redo but must be deemed either too risky or they have other capital campaigns for other things that would compete for funds.

Naming rights also cost SU millions in funding - another reason I don't like a redo for long term reasons.

I do and still think there is state money only if SU is willing to build a new stadium off campus. If so, it would have to be just off campus where students can still walk to.

The COR disaster is to blame as much as the city-county disputes between the mayor & the county exec. Regardless, SU was really close to getting this done but now not so much and plans have been scaled back now including a fabric replacement that's seems to be the consensus gaining steam right now.

Last edited:
Seems like they cannot do this without NY state funding (still 2nd hand info but others can confirm or not). Not sure why SU admin cannot go on a multiyear capital campaign for the Dome redo but must be deemed either too risky or they have other capital campaigns for other things that would compete for funds.

Naming rights also cost SU millions in funding - another reason I don't like a redo for long term reasons.

I do and still think there is state money only if SU is willing to build a new stadium off campus. If so, it would have to be just off campus where students can still walk to.

The COR disaster is to blame as much as the city-county disputes between the mayor & the county exec. Regardless, SU seemed to be really close to getting this done but now not so much and plans seemed to be really scaled back now including a fabric replacement that's seems to be the consensus right now.
Like I said earlier, at the end of the day, it will come down to Joanie's relationship with Andy. If their relationship is as tight as it seems, they can put a positive spin on any type of funding they want. Joanie needs to obviously make this an easy sell - and it shouldn't be that hard. If the state can waste $250M on a nano plant in Utica that has shown very little ROI, then a dome renovation is not a crack pipe dream.

So, do we have any big shots that can whisper in Joanie's ear? Make the big announcement the day Miner steps out of office.

The COR disaster is to blame as much as the city-county disputes between the mayor & the county exec. Regardless, SU was really close to getting this done but now not so much and plans have been scaled back now including a fabric replacement that's seems to be the consensus gaining steam right now.

The part that makes no sense to me here is the funding issue. The original proposal was a new $500,000,000 arena that would receive $200,000,000 from the state. That still leaves $300,000,000 in private funding required for the project. How is it that the university thinks they could have raised that money, but are unable to raise less money than that for a Dome renovation?

Logic says COR blew this up.

The part that makes no sense to me here is the funding issue. The original proposal was a new $500,000,000 arena that would receive $200,000,000 from the state. That still leaves $300,000,000 in private funding required for the project. How is it that the university thinks they could have raised that money, but are unable to raise less money than that for a Dome renovation?
It was going to be owned by the county, not SU...the county would have floated debt. SU would have just been a tenant that paid to use it. Think Louisville.

sadly it is more of the same by su. maybe we are just unable to bring ourselves to the point of taking the next step to becoming a higher profile force in college football. i would be ok with all of it,except for the part that we periodically get glimpses of great plans for enhancing our facilities that end up either delayed or do not come to fruition. that it why i dropped seasons a few ago. dashing hopes frequently, wears me out
i grew weary of the spin doctor, and continually disappointed in rhetoric from su. don't get me wrong i still go to 2-3 games a year up there and the meadowlands games as they r close to me.
su is su and i except that, but please stop the bs as it has become to frustrating.
i now wait for the next shoe to drop in terms of coaches. i have to wonder what babers thinks of all this as well as wildhack.
i have lost confidence in the administration re football. maybe they can vastly improve our academic standing,law school and get a medical school---that would be great.

So they announced what a 250 million roof replacement and renovation. Why would they do that if the funding wasnt already in place. Did the state pull funds that were originally available. Something doesn't make sense here. If they do indeed just do the least expensive roof replacement and nothing more leaves them looking pretty inept.

sadly it is more of the same by su. maybe we are just unable to bring ourselves to the point of taking the next step to becoming a higher profile force in college football. i would be ok with all of it,except for the part that we periodically get glimpses of great plans for enhancing our facilities that end up either delayed or do not come to fruition. that it why i dropped seasons a few ago. dashing hopes frequently, wears me out
i grew weary of the spin doctor, and continually disappointed in rhetoric from su. don't get me wrong i still go to 2-3 games a year up there and the meadowlands games as they r close to me.
su is su and i except that, but please stop the bs as it has become to frustrating.
i now wait for the next shoe to drop in terms of coaches. i have to wonder what babers thinks of all this as well as wildhack.
i have lost confidence in the administration re football. maybe they can vastly improve our academic standing,law school and get a medical school---that would be great.
While I'll be very disappointed if SU doesn't move on the Dome renovation plans, it's nice to know the administration won't follow the Rutgers' model of fiscal irresponsibility.

Even though the renovation hasn't happened as quickly as we would have liked, I'm reasonably sure that it will get done.

I might be in the minority but I have no issue with the dome. All I want is to see wins. Would it be nice to have a renovation with neat stuff? of course, but winning cures everything. If you had to pick between paying Dino and doing renovation, pay dino and his assistants first.

CONSPIRACY THEORY ALERT!

Could it really be that they may be planning something bigger/better? With HCDB turning around an anemic offense, energizing the fan base, a solid season (i.e. 6 or more wins and a bowl) and they may be thinking they can do better than a new roof and expanding the concourses - a new stadium is more feasible. When looking at the renovations and what a new stadium would cost, it may be better to suffer a few years more and save/invest in a better stadium. Perhaps, even Baseball!

OK, enough dreaming, back to our regularly scheduled doom and gloom. Remember, the sky may be falling, but it won't fall to far, we are NOT Rutgers.

The problem is that even if this money were spent, there's certainly no guarantee that SU would become "a higher profile force in college football".

Maryland spent a bunch of money on stadium enhancements. Their program didn't improve. Ditto Rutgers.

SU, more than other schools, actually needs successful athletic programs to increase it's visibility and desirability as a place to go to school. But "How to do that?" is a problem.

Spending a bunch of money on facilities might help. But know one knows how much.

I might be in the minority but I have no issue with the dome. All I want is to see wins. Would it be nice to have a renovation with neat stuff? of course, but winning cures everything. If you had to pick between paying Dino and doing renovation, pay dino and his assistants first.

The Dome seems fine to me. You are only in there for 2 1/2 hours and at least my attention is on the game. Stuffing myself with food and swilling down as many beers as I can, isn't high on my list.

If you subscribe to the theory that the Dome is a big problem and that lack of amenities is significantly affecting attendance, than this seems like money well spent. Especially if you think that larger Dome crowds will drive more wins and better recruits. (This is sort of backwards to the way I think it works)

Universities aren't like businesses. It seems they wait until someone gives them a pile of money and than they do something with it. In this case it was a little different. The University said, "If someone gave us a bunch of money, here's how we would spend it."

Apparently not enough people raised their hands as willing to contribute. And the economic and political world has changed significantly from 1978.

Some people took that as a concrete plan with at least a significant amount of the necessary funding already identified. And now they are disappointed that what they thought was true, wasn't.

The Dome seems fine to me. You are only in there for 2 1/2 hours and at least my attention is on the game. Stuffing myself with food and swilling down as many beers as I can, isn't high on my list.

If you subscribe to the theory that the Dome is a big problem and that lack of amenities is significantly affecting attendance, than this seems like money well spent. Especially if you think that larger Dome crowds will drive more wins and better recruits. (This is sort of backwards to the way I think it works)

Universities aren't like businesses. It seems they wait until someone gives them a pile of money and than they do something with it. In this case it was a little different. The University said, "If someone gave us a bunch of money, here's how we would spend it."

Apparently not enough people raised their hands as willing to contribute. And the economic and political world has changed significantly from 1978.

Some people took that as a concrete plan with at least a significant amount of the necessary funding already identified. And now they are disappointed that what they thought was true, wasn't.
the only amenites i would like is ac and and chair back seats. i too do not care about food or beer.
how ever i do subscribe to getting rid of the roof in its present form and modernize the appearance of the stadium

the only amenites i would like is ac and and chair back seats. i too do not care about food or beer.
how ever i do subscribe to getting rid of the roof in its present form and modernize the appearance of the stadium
I too would like AC & chair backs which is great for the fan, however, as a recruit this does not matter. Better lockers rooms, weight room, lounge area, etc... are a big draw. Do you remember that locker room view from the "They didn't know" video? Very High School-ish if you ask me and many others. That should be the focus of a dome reno first ( along with the roof).

maryland recruiting rankngs this year by scout-12, two four seven- 18,rivals-17 i would say at least recruiting wise it has improved significantly. jury is out on performance yet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom