Future Campus Framework Discussion | Page 93 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Discussion

Laying the groundwork
Last summer, the Newhouse School and the Syracuse University Department of Athletics worked to install fiber optic lines connecting five Olympic sport venues to the school, and connecting the school to the Carrier Dome. Part of the $18 million renovation of Newhouse 2, which greatly enhanced Newhouse’s broadcast infrastructure, this connection allows the Athletics Department to significantly upgrade from the schedule of one-camera web streams it had been producing. The school’s production control rooms can send and receive signals to produce a complete event, including multiple cameras switched with replay, graphics and commentary. This allows the school to keep pace with technological changes in sports production, which better prepares students for careers in the industry. Coffey says he expects the technology to grow and evolve as sports production needs expand. Students will begin feeding linear content on cable and satellite providers via ESPN in the fall of 2019.

Laying the groundwork
Last summer, the Newhouse School and the Syracuse University Department of Athletics worked to install fiber optic lines connecting five Olympic sport venues to the school, and connecting the school to the Carrier Dome. Part of the $18 million renovation of Newhouse 2, which greatly enhanced Newhouse’s broadcast infrastructure, this connection allows the Athletics Department to significantly upgrade from the schedule of one-camera web streams it had been producing. The school’s production control rooms can send and receive signals to produce a complete event, including multiple cameras switched with replay, graphics and commentary. This allows the school to keep pace with technological changes in sports production, which better prepares students for careers in the industry. Coffey says he expects the technology to grow and evolve as sports production needs expand. Students will begin feeding linear content on cable and satellite providers via ESPN in the fall of 2019.
The ACC Network is a grand slam for a Syracuse University student interested in sports media. Can't imagine there will be better trained 22-year olds entering the workforce. To top if off, they will be welcomed by an enthusiastic Newhouse/VPA/Falk alumni. Awesome opportunity us old grads would have loved to have had.

Vanderbilt is a private university with a $4.1 billion endowment, according to university tax returns provided to the USA TODAY Network. The athletics department receives about $40 million annually from SEC revenue distribution.

Vandy has 10k less students, 3x bigger endowment and gets $15mm more in conference revenue.

pretty aggressive roof install 2-3 months and done days before the end..
My eyes must be getting really bad as I see construction commencing in 2019 but not a completion of the roof until 2020. With four months just for the final installation of the roof.

My eyes must be getting really bad as I see construction commencing in 2019 but not a completion of the roof until 2020. With four months just for the final installation of the roof.
I see a lot of “pre-work” in 2019 and “actual construction” in spring/summer 2020.

Someone correct me if I am not reading correctly

I see a lot of “pre-work” in 2019 and “actual construction” in spring/summer 2020.

Looks accurate to me. Early May through end of Sept 2020 is what it looks like.

Start May 2019
Install Ring Truss May 2019-April 2020 (220 days)
Deflate existing Dome Roof May 2020 (5 days)
Install Cables May 2020-June 2020 (30 days)
Install Panels June 2020-Sept 2020 (90 days)
Install Scorebard and Lighting (Aug 2020-Sept 2020 (20 days)
Work Completed Sept 2020

Last edited:
Start May 2019
Install Ring Truss May 2019-April 2020 (220 days)
Deflate existing Dome Roof May 2020 (5 days)
Install Cables May 2020-June 2020 (30 days)
Install Panels June 2020-Sept 2020 (60 days)
Install Scorebard and Lighting (Aug 2020-Sept 2020 (20 days)
Work Completed Sept 2020

Seems like a pretty aggressive timeline (although I'm certainly no expert). One would assume they would have a contingency plan arrangement with another stadium or two in the area in case things don't go as planned.

Start May 2019
Install Ring Truss May 2019-April 2020
Deflate existing Dome Roof May 2020
Install Cables May 2020-June 2020
Install Panels June 2020-Sept 2020
Work Completed Sept 2020
The work is scheduled for completion on 9/23/20. That means the first three games that season are going to be on the road (only the game at Rutgers is confirmed to date). Unless they decide to schedule a bye during one of those weeks, which would not be desirable so early in the season. I would think the game at Wake is likely going to be played during this time frame. It has been played early a couple of times already. And probably either the Pitt or BC game. At least they would be easy drives for football hungry SU fans.

The original air supported roof is scheduled for deflation 5/1/20-5/7/20. I can't imagine having commencement with the roof deflated. Are they planning on moving it to the amphitheater or the Chiefs baseball stadium in 2020?

Looks like it.

They will be attaching the framework throughout the season, based on what I'm looking at. 6/3/19 will be the first date they start working on the ring truss, but they won't be messing with the existing roof until after commencement.

There should be visible progress throughout the 2019 season and we'll really see things start to take off once we hit commencement in May 2020.

The original air supported roof is scheduled for deflation 5/1/20-5/7/20. I can't imagine having commencement with the roof deflated. Are they planning on moving it to the amphitheater or the Chiefs baseball stadium in 2020?

Looks like it.

May 10, 2020 would be Commencement / Mother's Day / 1st Round of LAX Tournament

Maybe the deflation schedule is flexible?

Nunes just tweeted this link

Well hopefully that wasn't a no no on my part letting that out then. A lot of what we get and see we aren't supposed to put out there. I didn't a no social media post on this project anywhere...still wish this wasn't linked to twitter tho. This is an ongoing bid process. I shouldn't have posted it and will likely keep things to myself now.

Well hopefully that wasn't a no no on my part letting that out then. A lot of what we get and see we aren't supposed to put out there. I didn't a no social media post on this project anywhere...still wish this wasn't linked to twitter tho. This is an ongoing bid process. I shouldn't have posted it and will likely keep things to myself now.

Just wanted to keep you out of trouble is all! Appreciate the look tho

May 10, 2020 would be Commencement / Mother's Day / 1st Round of LAX Tournament

Maybe the deflation schedule is flexible?
Doesn't seem to make sense. They have deflation taking a week. Could that week also include taking down the fabric and the steel cables, so the old roof would be completely removed? It looks like there is still a lot of work to be done on the new roof during the summer of 2020. At some point, I think you have to get the old roof out of the way so you can access the new roof from below. I can only think they dropped the ball on the dates listed.

Doesn't seem to make sense. They have deflation taking a week. Could that week also include taking down the fabric and the steel cables, so the old roof would be completely removed? It looks like there is still a lot of work to be done on the new roof during the summer of 2020. At some point, I think you have to get the old roof out of the way so you can access the new roof from below. I can only think they dropped the ball on the dates listed.
I assume deflation of the roof includes everything, including the steel & fabric. They need to take that down without damaging structure or the rest of the bowl so it's going to take some time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom