FWIW. J Roethstein syas | Syracusefan.com

FWIW. J Roethstein syas

milan

• manchester united

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • inter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I really like what I see in MG and feel he will rock it next year!!!!

grant may not have been 7 feet tall, but his game was good, I expect MG to start, he starts from day 1!!!!

Jon Rothstein also thinks Jerami Grant is at least 7 feet tall.

He is! I saw a picture of Jerami standing next to Bigfoot, and 'Foot only had a few inches on him. And he towers over those little grey alien guys.

Has anyone actually seen Silent G play recently? Just curious if this is all wishful thinking or observation.

While I actually agree with Rothstein (can't believe I said that), please don't ever take Rothstein as an insider or basketball guru. Foodie, yes. Smart basketball guy, no.

Who the hell really wants to see Cooney at the 2 next year? Instead of a 6'6 Duke transfer?

Is this a joke? Cooney's only worth last year was tenacious defense. It comes down to length in the zone and MG has more.

I'd like a real reason why anyone would go with Cooney.

I'm already on record with MG starting at the 2. And I see no reason to reverse course. TC's got potential ... but his maturity problems tanked his outside shot (26% from deep). He'll get better ... for example, AR looked pretty raw his first couple of years. But until Trevor can relax and play instead of thinking himself out of rhythm, he's coming off the bench.

In fact, if TC doesn't take a big step in production this year, he's going to have his minutes chewed up faster than you can say, "BJ Johnson".

I bet if you looked at Cooneys spot up numbers vs his numbers shooting 3's off a screen or off motion you would see a better performance. Granted that would probably be the same with most guys, Cooney is a 3 point shooter thats what he does.

Who the hell really wants to see Cooney at the 2 next year? Instead of a 6'6 Duke transfer?

Is this a joke? Cooney's only worth last year was tenacious defense. It comes down to length in the zone and MG has more.

I'd like a real reason why anyone would go with Cooney.
Why don't we wait to see how much improvement Cooney has made since last year. He already has a year's playing experience over anyone else at the 2. Also, why don't we wait to see what kind of a player MG is in the Syracuse system.
Rush to judgment much?

Why don't we wait to see how much improvement Cooney has made since last year. He already has a year's playing experience over anyone else at the 2. Also, why don't we wait to see what kind of a player MG is in the Syracuse system.
Rush to judgment much?

I've never seen a player look more out of place. Unless he comes back shooting 38-42% consistently with 2 or 3 steals a game... I'm going to go ahead with the obvious... 6'6 guard.

If Gbnijie shows any reliability or consistency I say give him the job. We already have pressure at the point, no reason to make the whole guard duo a cluster .

Cooney looked like a DIII player out there last year. We are Syracuse University. We are in the first year of ACC conference play and should be in contention for the national title.

We need not put our hopes (as in hope to god it works out) on anyone besides Ennis. If MG shows he can competently handle the 2, it's his.

If MG shows unreliability and needs another year to get used to Syracuse...go with Cooney. But if it comes to that, then we'll have a lot more problems to worry about.

He might be right here, but I can't help but think of Rothstein as a personified version of the dog from "Up." He gets excited so easily and it's pretty amusing.

Reactions: MCC
In fact, if TC doesn't take a big step in production this year, he's going to have his minutes chewed up faster than you can say, "BJ Johnson".
MG, Johnson, Buss, and 2014 recruits are waiting in the wings. I think Cooney is more likely to transfer after 2014 than start in 2014.

In my opinion, giving Cooney another chance without 100% assuredness that he'd have a dramatic improvement, would be a step back for Syracuse basketball and a wasted year.

MG is not some freshman, he had a year in ACC (our only player who has) and a year training with the squad.

As far as I'm concerned Cooney is the less experienced player.

In my opinion, giving Cooney another chance without 100% assuredness that he'd have a dramatic improvement, would be a step back for Syracuse basketball and a wasted year.

MG is not some freshman, he had a year in ACC (our only player who has) and a year training with the squad.

As far as I'm concerned Cooney is the less experienced player.
Well, I guess you could also look at MG and say, "There's a guy who got very little playing time in the ACC, decided he couldn't cut it with Duke and transferred out."
I'm not arguing that MG shouldn't get a shot at the 2, because he will. I just don't care for the fortune teller approach of deciding before competition, who's going to start. My guess is that MG and Cooney will end up getting about equal minutes.

Duke was loaded at the 3. JB recruited Silent G with the 2 spot in mind. It was an opportunity for Silent G that he would not have had at Duke and it should not be held against him.

Cooney was flat out terrible in all but one or two games. Subtract two games and his season net points are probably negative. The logical thing to do is give Silent G a chance and let Cooney demonstrate by on-court performance that he deserves more minutes. The burden of proof is on him.

No one is saying that we should write Cooney off. He obviously has talent. The burden is on him to show improvement. This is not Sisters of the Poor. Cooney's play last year does not warrant a starting position this year.

JB is known to have token starters. What counts is PT. Silent G is best positioned for playing time. It is his to lose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom