Geno Gone | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Gone

Crazy timing for Geno to quit though with Kansas on tap. Not good for us but not good for Geno either.

I suspect Geno thought he was competing against the Frank Howard of last season. I think Geno's leaving is a big loss because he had the talent to contribute and I think would have eventually. Now there is even less depth.

In the end Geno's main contribution may have been lighting a fire under Frank Howard to push him to improve to his current level.

BTW I was a somewhat regular on this board long ago and am returning after almost 6 years.

I just don't get it you spend all this time on transferring to a school, and you quit after 6 games because things aren't going your way, very sad.
What I don't get is that this could essentially end his collegiate career. What's he going to do at this point, sit out another year, to have one semester of Eligibility? It literally made no sense.

What I don't get is that this could essentially end his collegiate career. What's he going to do at this point, sit out another year, to have one semester of Eligibility? It literally made no sense.
perhaps more to story - would hope so anyway

I suspect Geno thought he was competing against the Frank Howard of last season. I think Geno's leaving is a big loss because he had the talent to contribute and I think would have eventually. Now there is even less depth.

In the end Geno's main contribution may have been lighting a fire under Frank Howard to push him to improve to his current level.

BTW I was a somewhat regular on this board long ago and am returning after almost 6 years.
or he was just the best player on a team that won 6 games and found himself on a roster where he stunk and he quit rather than try to get better.

or he was just the best player on a team that won 6 games and found himself on a roster where he stunk and he quit rather than try to get better.

Entirely possible plus the ankle injury may have compounded it

2 years at Penn State.
2 years at USF.
His 5 year window has to expire at some point.

It wouldn't surprise me if a cooling off period might make him reconsider.

Unless he wants to play in Europe next month.

Maybe people should lay off him. None of us know what exactly is going on with him.

This.

HW is not going to play. Staff has seen very little that indicates he can. Started practice well but kinda leveled off. He was not going to play a single minute come January of Geno stayed. Yes, Geno was told his minutes might decrease but people are assuming that meant HW minutes. Not necessarily.

Look for OB or even Marek to play up top at times when a guard needs a rest. Just don't see HW playing from what I have heard.

Iommi... There are probably not many people here closer to JB than me and I can tell you for a fact the staff... or at least JB which is all that matters... does NOT think HW is ready. He did not sit because Geno was a 5th yr guy. It's because Geno is significantly better. As in, not even close.

Staff does feel he can be good down the road for sure and you are correct he is better than they thought. This is a big loss, which u agree. How could anyone not? We are so thin. Should be interesting.

Hmm. Oops. Guess he was ready enough, huh? Guess your close friend JB decided not to play OB or Marek at the top of the zone? I'm sure that scenario would be done in an emergency but it is farcical to think that Howard Washington wasn't going to be the backup guard with Thorpe gone.

Oh, and I realize he wasn't very productive but Howard Washington played fine yesterday, considering he was thrown to the wolves. He was cool under fire, took the ball up against pressure and did not turn the ball over. His defense was fine (nothing that would stand out but more than serviceable). If one of his 3's fell, he'd be really getting kudos. Those shots showed self-confidence and none of them were bad shots. Once he plays 7-8 minutes or so a game on a consistent basis, he will be exactly what we need.

I firmly believe JB should not wait until Frank or Tyus are in foul trouble to bring Washington in. Get him up at some point in the first half and put him in for either guard. Make him feel like he's part of the rotation. Washington will be fine off the ball.

On a side note, does anyone else think HW might be closer to 6'1"? He's never looked 6'3" to me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom