Geno Gone | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Gone

Didn't McNeil have family issues back home in addition to being unhappy with his role? Who else are you referring to, Ovcina? Maybe not, since he only missed a game and was basically just homesick.
Mcneil had, if I remember, a death in the familym, but how many people know that the Great Otis Hill, threw in his hat as a Soph with limited playing time?

So Geno was down to Cuse and Pitt. Pitt is currently a tire fire but he probably would have been the dude there (just like at USF). He chose to come here for a chance to win, and after our biggest win of the year and before a national televised game against the #2 team in the country he quits because of playing time? Why didn't he just go to Pitt if all he cared about was PT?

This should help smooth HoWash over a little, maybe this will keep him here.

Mcneil had, if I remember, a death in the familym, but how many people know that the Great Otis Hill, threw in his hat as a Soph with limited playing time?
IIRC, Hill walked out of an exhibition...and I mean walked all the way back to South Campus. Oh wait, that was his junior year. Go on...

He is not reckless with the basketball, rarely tries to do too much, is a good outside shooter and is a pass first point guard. I'm not sure what makes you think he can't play a handful of minutes and be a steady hand. I'm concerned with his defense at the top of the zone but outside of that he should be ok. Most people who think he can saw him play in high school and heard reports from practice that the staff thinks he is even better than they thought. He isn't a bum. He is being thrust into a role that wasn't intended but the reality is I don't think he sinks the ship.

Spot on. Not sure how anyone who has watched him play (even from a smaller sample size) thinks he can't contribute. Sometimes I wonder if I'm watching the same games/players that the people on here are watching! If anything I would say hw has one of the best handling/passing abilities on our team and should have no issue running our offense and setting things up for others. Also a good shooter. His weakness will be defense on the top of the zone. Not saying he's going to set the world on fire but to think he can't contribute solid meaningful minutes is crazy.

So Geno was down to Cuse and Pitt. Pitt is currently a tire fire but he probably would have been the dude there (just like at USF). He chose to come here for a chance to win, and after our biggest win of the year and before a national televised game against the #2 team in the country he quits because of playing time? Why didn't he just go to Pitt if all he cared about was PT?

Handlers or hangers-on giving bad advice? Both to begin with and now? That's the only answer I can think up for you. Maybe it's even laughable for someone like Geno to have handlers/hangers-on? Who knows?

How do you run practice without 4 guards?

Did Thorpe outscore Christian White’s career total?

How dare you besmirch the name of Christian White! He helped me get a basketball signed by the entire team for one of the families I bought Christmas presents for last year.

Edit: 2 years ago? It was the year we had Malachi.

Last edited:
This is an unfortunate situation, but I don't think Geno offered much more than Howard Washington. I thought Geno was slow, and lacked the energy and leadership the staff expected of him. I know he battled the ankle injury, but I was never really high on him.

As long as Battle and Frank can stay healthy I think Howard Washington will be adequate. It will certainly help his development. We just got to stay healthy, and hope Washington is ready to ball with the big boys.

Last edited:
I was pretty low on Thorpe when I heard we were interested in him; thought we were in really bad shape if he was going to be our starting PG.

But to lose a guy that was expected to be a decent contributor off the bench is still pretty serious given our lack of depth in the backcourt. Obviously he hasn’t made an impact this season yet, but I definitely wish things had worked out differently.

Time to step up Howard Washington, fate is calling your number. Barring injury he only needs to spell Frank and Tyus about 4 minutes each in non-cupcake games -- 8 minutes a game. At least it's investing in his development and will pay dividends going forward for a guy who is going to be here rather than a guy leaving after this season.

Spot on. Not sure how anyone who has watched him play (even from a smaller sample size) thinks he can't contribute. Sometimes I wonder if I'm watching the same games/players that the people on here are watching! If anything I would say hw has one of the best handling/passing abilities on our team and should have no issue running our offense and setting things up for others. Also a good shooter. His weakness will be defense on the top of the zone. Not saying he's going to set the world on fire but to think he can't contribute solid meaningful minutes is crazy.

You are that sure from 10 minutes against Cornell, 6 minutes against Texas Southern and 4 minutes against Oakland?

I want to revise my guess on highest minutes per game in the IGGY Awards thread. Now I'll go with Howard 37.8

We only have 3 guards on that 12-13 team with MCW and Triche playing around 35 minutes each and Trevor playing about 10 minutes, that team turned out just fine. So far Battle and FH pretty matched MCW and Triche's production on both ends, just need HW to provide what freshman Trevor did which isn't exactly a tall task. The most important thing is staying healthy like that 12-13 team did.

And in our most important possession of the year, in the Final Four, we ended up having Cooney take a terrible shot.

I don't think the injury excuse works anymore. Like I said earlier in this thread, he must be healthy if he's whining about PT.

You can be hurt and still be healthy enough to play. Frank played through his injury to subpar results.

Sorry to see this, wish him the best. Hope he doesn’t read this place and some of the comments, can’t imagine what Syracuse.com’s reaction is.

Ok but how usual is it for a guy to just up and quit in the middle of the season? Preceded by a guy whose mother forced a transfer? Preceded by one crazy drama after the other practically every year? It's getting pretty freaking tiresome.

Welcome to American sports in 2017. It’s the AYSO, busybody soccer mom/dad, AAU “me over the team” generation. We’ve created a culture of selfish, entitled d—-heads with no ability or interest in persevering when times are tough or they aren’t getting their way and who care more about themselves individually than playing a role on a team.

I’ve said for years that nobody knows how to be an 11th-12th man anymore. Now it’s getting to where nobody knows how to come off the bench and be a role player anymore. Too many only care about their own playing time, and put it above the team.

Last edited:
Welcome to American sports in 2017. It’s the AYSO, busybody soccer mom/dad, AAU “me over the team” generation. We’ve created a culture of selfish, entitled d—-heads with no ability or interest in persevering when times are tough or they’re aren’t getting their way and who care more about themselves individually than playing a role on a team.

Sad, when you have 50 grown men telling these kids they are the greatest thing since slice bread, what can you expect?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom