Geno Gone | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Gone

3BE76E61-C112-4753-831D-56225FA5DFDC.jpeg
Whenever geno came into the game, i thought of the nutty professor. Now ill just think of a quitter who is mentally weak.

While true, I’m just having a hard time caring. The Maryland win got us all excited and we might have a decent shot at the tourney and this might hurt some...but we’ve still got all the guys that have excited us so far this year on the team. And on the bright side, Washington gets some experience which might help him be more ready next year - giving us better depth.
he did not fit. better he is gone as it eliminates controversy. team seems to be getting an identity that he does not fit into. move on he has nothing to offer, mentality wise .

Later quitter

It’ll be interesting to see how many minutes Washington gets tomorrow. Might as well throw him right into the mix. All I want is for him to be strong w the ball tomorrow.

If he really ignored a teammates high five during the game because he was sulking, got into it with the coach after the biggest win of the season, and then quit the team, I can only sincerely wish him luck towards growing up and not being a selfish malcontent in the real world.
He definitely did. I actually posted it in the chat, but nobody responded.

He definitely did. I actually posted it in the chat, but nobody responded.

I was unable to watch the game live, and also unable to avoid checking the score, so when watching the replay upon getting home I didn’t watch with the same attention to detail.

he did not fit. better he is gone as it eliminates controversy. team seems to be getting an identity that he does not fit into. move on he has nothing to offer, mentality wise .
yup. chemistry seems to be so good, let the unhappy one go before his attitude spreads.

Are we really nitpicking the high five? Moyer's hand was low and Geno was getting chewed out by Boeheim as he was walking to the bench. The last thing on my mind is giving someone a five. BTW, he was showing positive reactions on the bench in the second half and has since he's been here. I've never seem him sulk. Let's not create narratives because we're biased towards the program.

Yea, but I don't think it would have been handled this way if that was a realistic possibility. We'd have gotten "Geno Thorpe will not be at tomorrow's game." "Why not?" "That's an internal team matter." I just don't think they issue a "Geno Thorpe has left the program" statement unless the door's been shut. There's no need to. They easily could have soft-pedaled it. I don't recall there ever being a similar statement during a Paul Harris Thruway jaunt. Elvir's international voyaging was a long time ago, but I also recall that was always presented as tentative and likely to resolve. (Who is the other center?)
I think Otis Hill quit for a couple days, but it didn't become public until after he came back.

I think Otis Hill quit for a couple days, but it didn't become public until after he came back.

I believe Otis’s dad died right around that time too. And he suffered an ankle injury at some point that season too.

Welcome to American sports in 2017. It’s the AYSO, busybody soccer mom/dad, AAU “me over the team” generation. We’ve created a culture of selfish, entitled d—-heads with no ability or interest in persevering when times are tough or they’re aren’t getting their way and who care more about themselves individually than playing a role on a team.

I’ve said for years that nobody knows how to be an 11th-12th man anymore. Now it’s getting to where nobody knows how to come off the bench and be a role player anymore. Too many only care about their own playing time, and put it above the team.
This X100
I was all for Thorpe getting his minutes, being patient, and eventually being a valuable member of the rotation. That’s the blueprint.
But, despite all evidence to the contrary, GT decided that he couldn’t wait a few more games to mesh w/ his teammates, so off he goes.
Very unfortunate and surprising considering his experience. Oh well..NEXT!!

You are that sure from 10 minutes against Cornell, 6 minutes against Texas Southern and 4 minutes against Oakland?

Yes. I think it's pretty clear the kid can play and contribute. How much he contributes is certainly a question mark but I'm pretty confident he won't be a liability every time he comes in. like I said previously our defense up top will be more vulnerable. Compared to having frank and tyus up top but how vulnerable is yet to be seen. He certainly isn't going to be any worse then what geno was when he came in for us. He looked bad except for the one game he had he hasn't contributed much...injured or not.

Huh, I read through the entire thread and it seems like I'm the only one who thinks Thorpe is upset because his academic advisor misled him about how rigorous his masters program would be. I'm thinking he did not find the coursework challenging enough this semester so he's pursuing opportunities elsewhere.

I still don't think this means Washington gets much play. I think Brissett gets a small handful of guard minutes and Moyer takes his place in the frontcourt.

Huh, I read through the entire thread and it seems like I'm the only one who thinks Thorpe is upset because his academic advisor misled him about how rigorous his masters program would be. I'm thinking he did not find the coursework challenging enough this semester so he's pursuing opportunities elsewhere.
where did you read that?

My biggest concern with HW is defence he looks lost in the little time he has played and maybe even worse did not seem to have the effort that the rest of the team has been showing. Hoping that it is only a small sample set but this is a big dropoff on the defensive end.

Fair.

Spot on. Not sure how anyone who has watched him play (even from a smaller sample size) thinks he can't contribute. Sometimes I wonder if I'm watching the same games/players that the people on here are watching! If anything I would say hw has one of the best handling/passing abilities on our team and should have no issue running our offense and setting things up for others. Also a good shooter. His weakness will be defense on the top of the zone. Not saying he's going to set the world on fire but to think he can't contribute solid meaningful minutes is crazy.

Both you and cuseinseattle are spot on. He needs to be energetic on defense. Once he gets some playing time, Washington will be fine on offense.

The loss of Geno is very significant though.

How dare you besmirch the name of Christian White! He helped me get a basketball signed by the entire team for one of the families I bought Christmas presents for last year.

Edit: 2 years ago? It was the year we had Malachi.
Hey man...you deserve props for this ish...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom