Geno Gone | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Geno Gone

Paging Mr. Autry Sr, Paging Mr. GMAC, Paging Mr. Griffin. Paging Mr. Devendorf.

As much as I love Tyus Battle, I would take the coaches in a 4 on 4 game.

Not sure about that...Autry’s gotta be around 45 and Griffin is probably pushing 40.

The 20’s to mid 30’s versions of themselves, sure.

Howard Washington will give us quality minutes. Once he’s made a part of the rotation, he will be fine.

This hurts our depth. Hurts because Geno was experienced. Hurts in practice because we have don’t even have ten guys to scrimmage.

If only HW was playing more all along like a few people... cough... wanted.

(Also, I wonder if Thorpe’s anger would’ve been smoothed over by Hop. He was the good cop.)
I was waiting for you to say something. I was worried you had the flu or something. I think this is a huge loss myself and really thought Thorpe was perfect for the 3rd guy role. I hope HW is up to the task and is able to play the top of the zone and not make mistakes and hit a few open shots. I'm just worried he is not going to be ready and will have defense lapses to the point I will pull my hair out until I have as much as you. That is not much pulling I'm willing to admit.

An experienced body that was still feeling his way into the program. Y'all forget he was hurt and played hurt? Everyone is an armchair coach on here.

While true, I’m just having a hard time caring. The Maryland win got us all excited and we might have a decent shot at the tourney and this might hurt some...but we’ve still got all the guys that have excited us so far this year on the team. And on the bright side, Washington gets some experience which might help him be more ready next year - giving us better depth.

So can we use his scholarship on Bayer for the rest of the season?
Yes, I was impressed by Bayer at Orange Madness. He can shoot!

I read that the freshmen were saying that they pick each other up when Boeheim yells at them. Sounded like it was intense. Was anyone picking Thorpe up? Was his previous coach mellow? It just may have been a bridge too far for him, but I agree that he should have tried to ride it out. This is not a great situation for anyone involved. I hope our team has their eyes on the prize tomorrow. <sigh>

Pretty sure Thorpe didn’t arrive on campus til the fall.
Its been a combination of those two factors -- he got hurt at exactly the wrong time of the preseason, and Frank has played better than most expected.

I kept hearing how tight Howard and Thorpe were this summer -- hopefully our new leader can pull Thorpe back from the ledge and smooth things over.
rpe

And in our most important possession of the year, in the Final Four, we ended up having Cooney take a terrible shot.

That’s because they called a terrible charge on BT. But you’re right, some official could make the same terrible call on Battle.

If Thorpe left due to playing time issues, he's now reduced it to zero. In an emergency maybe Bayer could play a role.

Now let's look at Geno vs. Howard. I'm going to include the exhibitions because of the small sample size, (Howard hasn't scored in a regular game).

Geno: 108m 42p 5r 10a 10s 0b 16/44fg (5/18 from the arc) 5/7ft 7to 7pf
Averages/40m: 15.6p 1.9r 3.7a 3.7s 0.0b = 24.9+ 10.4mfg 0.7mft 2.6to 2.6pf = 16.3- 8.6NP 4.5OE 4.1FG

Howard: 57m 13p 7r 6a 1s 0b 5/16fg (3/9) 0/0ft 2to 5pf
averages/40m: 9.1p 4.9r 4.2a 0.7s 0.0 = 18.9+ 7.7mfg 0.0mft 1.4to 3.5pf = 12.6- 6.3NP 1.4OE 4.9FG

I'd say Howard will be less of a scorer and not as aggressive a defender but more of a pure point guard: a distributer with fewer turnovers.

on the eve of the flight to miami, after transferring from south florida? clearly, something down there has him spooked
santeria-1024x685.jpg

in all seriousness, though, i can't say i'm surprised after that maryland performance.

potentially big loss . . . but only potentially. if frank & tyus stay healthy & out of foul trouble then it won't hurt.

I think I've read every post here and a lot of good points have been made, on both sides of the aisle. My first impression when seeing this was "Oh No" as our depth, especially at the guard position, is indeed diminished. Over the years I've been an advocate of giving some of these players a little more playing time in certain games to prepare them for a situation like this. Same holds true this year regarding Washington's exposure. On the other hand, if you don't want to be here, then we wish you good luck on your way out.

I'll be honest, I know very little about Washington and his high school prowess, but according to members here who are much more in tune with such things this kid has a lot of upside. It's going to be tough for him to get his first, real, top notch exposure Saturday against #2 Kansas. However, most members feel he will be just fine as the season progresses. I think we can all agree that "we definitely need a third guard who can contribute in one way or the other".

Having said all this, I'm going to hold off on an opinion regarding Thorpe's departure until we see how the overall team, and particularly Washington, react and perform for the next few games. I will certainly not be making any snap opinions based solely on the Kansas game.

If Boeheim was only going to trust Geno with 10-15 minutes or so per game, then the downgrade from Geno to HW (and it's definitely a downgrade) shouldn't be too big a deal. I'm cautiously optimistic that HW will eventually step up and give us some decent minutes. In the (admittedly) small sample size we've seen so far, HW's game has a sort of calmness to it... he seems to understand what his role needs to be.

On the other hand, if you don't want to be here, then we wish you good luck on your way out.

If he really ignored a teammates high five during the game because he was sulking, got into it with the coach after the biggest win of the season, and then quit the team, I can only sincerely wish him luck towards growing up and not being a selfish malcontent in the real world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom