Given Go-Ahead: ACC and ESPN are a Chanukah and Christmas Wrapping | Syracusefan.com

Given Go-Ahead: ACC and ESPN are a Chanukah and Christmas Wrapping

arbitragegls

All Conference
Morning to all...and a bit of history that may provide reading pleasure...especially if you want to believe that the ACC is here to stay and the upside is escalating beyond our expectations.

Have alluded to some of this information previously, but was told in confidence not to disclose until the forward motion had reached a potential of no return...well movement appears on-going. A bit of history...

Question: Where is ESPN located?
Answer: Bristol CT...(so what we all know that)

Question: Where is ESPNU located?
Answer: Charlotte, North Carolina--IT IS THE ESPN REGIONAL TELEVISION NETWORK and has been located in Charlotte for 2 1/2 years.

Question: Where is ESPN3 located?
Answer: With ESPNU

Here is some information to help sort this out and why its meaningful to 'Cuse and ACC:

To program the digital platform, ESPN has begun striking content deals with ACC schools for some basketball and third-tier broadcast rights. To date, North Carolina, Clemson, Florida State, and Georgia Tech are on board, with a source at ESPN saying that more announcements are on the way.
The agreements offer an increased amount of content for fans and obvious recruiting advantages for the schools...think Tier 2 and Tier 3.
“We felt this gave us a great opportunity to broadcast some of our Olympic sports that wouldn’t otherwise be broadcast,” says Bubba Cunningham, athletics director at the University of North Carolina. “So we thought the investment that we could make and the investment that they were willing to make was very beneficial to the both of us.”
LINK: http://sportsvideo.org/main/blog/20...to-raise-streaming-quality-of-college-sports/
And as sample of where the ESPNU partnership with ACC has gone note the following links:
http://video.theacc.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/ACCDigitalNetwork
What does all this auger for the ACC--movement is progressing toward the ACC and ESPN to form a network that will provide ACC content to an ACC network One of the strategies and tactic is to develop and execute ESPN/ACC on the same tier as ESPNU (what's big here is that ACC contract is FULLYwith ESPN and an ESPNU/ACC network monetizes Tier 1 even higher --so ESPN is not going to let the FOX/B1G network or NBCSports or CBSSports dwarf its domain. Bottom Line is that this movement with ESPN and ACC is further along than many of us had thought. Now the challenge is to bring it home in a short period of time--as pointed out in the Dodd's CBSsports article in my thread a few days ago...baby steps that are becoming long strides. Each of these steps and programming will add significant $$$ to ACC and its teams.
This is great news for the ACC and 'Cuse. Discuss and question.
Hope this brings further holiday spirit to you all...and to all a terrific 'Cuse upcoming year and beyond!

Morning to all...and a bit of history that may provide reading pleasure...especially if you want to believe that the ACC is here to stay and the upside is escalating beyond our expectations.

Have alluded to some of this information previously, but was told in confidence not to disclose until the forward motion had reached a potential of no return...well movement appears on-going. A bit of history...

Question: Where is ESPN located?
Answer: Bristol CT...(so what we all know that)

Question: Where is ESPNU located?
Answer: Charlotte, North Carolina--IT IS THE ESPN REGIONAL TELEVISION NETWORK and has been located in Charlotte for 2 1/2 years.

Question: Where is ESPN3 located?
Answer: With ESPNU

Here is some information to help sort this out and why its meaningful to 'Cuse and ACC:

To program the digital platform, ESPN has begun striking content deals with ACC schools for some basketball and third-tier broadcast rights. To date, North Carolina, Clemson, Florida State, and Georgia Tech are on board, with a source at ESPN saying that more announcements are on the way.
The agreements offer an increased amount of content for fans and obvious recruiting advantages for the schools...think Tier 2 and Tier 3.
“We felt this gave us a great opportunity to broadcast some of our Olympic sports that wouldn’t otherwise be broadcast,” says Bubba Cunningham, athletics director at the University of North Carolina. “So we thought the investment that we could make and the investment that they were willing to make was very beneficial to the both of us.”
LINK: http://sportsvideo.org/main/blog/20...to-raise-streaming-quality-of-college-sports/
And as sample of where the ESPNU partnership with ACC has gone note the following links:
http://video.theacc.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/ACCDigitalNetwork
What does all this auger for the ACC--movement is progressing toward the ACC and ESPN to form a network that will provide ACC content to an ACC network One of the strategies and tactic is to develop and execute ESPN/ACC on the same tier as ESPNU (what's big here is that ACC contract is FULLYwith ESPN and an ESPNU/ACC network monetizes Tier 1 even higher --so ESPN is not going to let the FOX/B1G network or NBCSports or CBSSports dwarf its domain. Bottom Line is that this movement with ESPN and ACC is further along than many of us had thought. Now the challenge is to bring it home in a short period of time--as pointed out in the Dodd's CBSsports article in my thread a few days ago...baby steps that are becoming long strides. Each of these steps and programming will add significant $$$ to ACC and its teams.
This is great news for the ACC and 'Cuse. Discuss and question.
Hope this brings further holiday spirit to you all...and to all a terrific 'Cuse upcoming year and beyond!
One question: Why does the font in your post get smaller as it goes?

It makes it's difficult for our aging fan base to read.

It's an eye test. If you can understand the final paragraph, your eyes are fine or you don't need to change your lens prescription.

It was nice of arbitragegls to combine good information on the ACC/ESPN deal with a PSA for vision health.

fixed...brought over from football side which is right size...sorry about that

It's an eye test. If you can understand the final paragraph, your eyes are fine or you don't need to change your lens prescription.

It was nice of arbitragegls to combine good information on the ACC/ESPN deal with a PSA for vision health.
always looking out for you guys!!!!haha

If i'm understanding correctly the ACC Net packaged with ESPN would be huge because it would be tier one basic digital in every household in the nation?

What about UVA? Still some Dude inspired rumors of them looking to the Northwestern sky? When will we see UVA signed up? How about Cuse? Does Cuse have to wait until we are formally in the ACC to sign up?

What about UVA? Still some Dude inspired rumors of them looking to the Northwestern sky? When will we see UVA signed up? How about Cuse? Does Cuse have to wait until we are formally in the ACC to sign up?
Yes on 'Cuse...UVA...doubtful

So, does this mean our games on/contract with SNY is dead? Or could we to purchase back our Tier 3 rights and try to resell them to SNY to maintain a NYC presence? I thought I heard someone bring this up a while back...

Am I correct in assuming that more games will be streamed (digital) than going the cable/Dish direction thus an increase in funds to the members?

If i'm understanding correctly the ACC Net packaged with ESPN would be huge because it would be tier one basic digital in every household in the nation?

ESPN cannot get ESPNU on basic cable so how would they get ESPNACC on? I believe ESPNU is in 75 million HHs. So if ESPNACC was on the same amount at $0.05 a HH it would generate about $45M. For ESPN to create ESPNACC they need incentive as they already own the media rights. Heck they could create ESPNACC and not pay the ACC a dime. But let's assume they split it 50-50 (not likely). That means the ACC gets $22.5M more a year. When you divide that by the league office and the 15 schools, you get a whopping $1.4M more a year per school. That isn't really a game changer.

Also note that the B1G puts Tier 2 games on giving it more value. ESPNACC would get the games that ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3, and Raycom all pass on. It would be great for no revenue sports but for FB and BBall it would be crappy content.

So, does this mean our games on/contract with SNY is dead? Or could we to purchase back our Tier 3 rights and try to resell them to SNY to maintain a NYC presence? I thought I heard someone bring this up a while back...

I know UNC sells the BBall games that trickle down. If ESPNACC is created they no longer will have games trickle down. Why would they want to share these games with the rest of the ACC and take a pay cut?

Wouldn't a partnership with ESPN still put us behind the B1G network which they own outright? Wouldn't we have to split any profits? But going in the other direction, ESPN could pressure providers to carry the ACC network, which would mean more subscribers and more money.

The SNY thing is part of ESPN's Big East Network package. SNY and ESPN are partners in that.

The more conference networks the better.

The B1G found something great when the created the network, but like any other product, the market can be flooded within 10 years. These exorbitant cable dollars they are getting will shrink when cable systems have ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, NFL Net, MLB Net, NBA Net, NHL NetNBC Sports, CBS Sports, Fox Sports, PAC12 Network, SEC Network, ESPNACC, and any other conference that gets in on this thing (maybe the C7).

ESPNACC will never make what the B1Gnetwork is making right now, and in the next couple years, but we don't need to. We just need to bring them back closer to us by flooding the market with more college networks.

ESPN cannot get ESPNU on basic cable so how would they get ESPNACC on? I believe ESPNU is in 75 million HHs. So if ESPNACC was on the same amount at $0.05 a HH it would generate about $45M. For ESPN to create ESPNACC they need incentive as they already own the media rights. Heck they could create ESPNACC and not pay the ACC a dime. But let's assume they split it 50-50 (not likely). That means the ACC gets $22.5M more a year. When you divide that by the league office and the 15 schools, you get a whopping $1.4M more a year per school. That isn't really a game changer.

Also note that the B1G puts Tier 2 games on giving it more value. ESPNACC would get the games that ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3, and Raycom all pass on. It would be great for no revenue sports but for FB and BBall it would be crappy content.

Why wouldn't it be the same model as the big ten network, fee's are tied to footprint? MA, NY, PA, DC, Ky,Va, NC, SC, Ga, Fla.

The de facto ACC network has been ESPNU. They already have much of the same ACC content that the BTN has for the B1G. Spinning that stuff off into another network might make more money for the ACC, but it's not a completely new concept. Presumably the ACC network would have more ACC olympic sports and coaches shows. UVa might figure they can can get a better deal on their own for tier 4 stuff, e.g. like Kansas and Louisville. I can't imagine UVa going to the B1G; they think of themselves as Southern.

Why wouldn't it be the same model as the big ten network, fee's are tied to footprint? MA, NY, PA, DC, Ky,Va, NC, SC, Ga, Fla.

Right, the trick is to get 0.50 or better from 25 million homes or better.

Just a question since you guys know this stuff so well, if rutty can get into ny for the big 10 why can't the acc get into jersey?

Wouldn't a partnership with ESPN still put us behind the B1G network which they own outright? Wouldn't we have to split any profits? But going in the other direction, ESPN could pressure providers to carry the ACC network, which would mean more subscribers and more money.

Thats what I'm thinking. If the B1G plans on utilizing YES to pressure NY/NJ households for B1GN, i gotta believe that the WWL could lean on the cable co's to carry the ACCN in the appropriate regions on basic, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom