Going to miss Jimmy when he is gone | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Going to miss Jimmy when he is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
what an optimist. or rather nostalgist . you think your peak energy years are 40's or 70's ?
He looks pretty energetic to me.

Now which do you think are your peak “wisdom” years?

I’m just trying to be realistic here.

Two of the three Pillars of SU success —- the Big East and TV exposure against a limited field of competing games —- are gone. When JB retires that will be the third and final pillar.

The big crowds are a By-product of on court success. It’s not the other way around.

Look at lacrosse, a sport in which we were much more successful in than basketball. We were ranked 10th before we lost to Albany on Saturday.

The sports world is changing and a majority of those changes are not in SU’s favor.

Last edited:
i find it a bit alarming that when i read the board it's the orphan annies talking about NEXT YEAR.
BASKETBALL, FOOTBALL and now even LACROSSE. the entire trinity has sunk to future hopes.

I love lacrosse and living in the Charlotte area I catch the Orange as much as I can and was at the ACC tournament last year at Duke. I watched the live stream of Saturday's game against Albany and was just deflated by the showing and how Albany just destroyed us. It was unfathomable not to long ago for anything like this to happen to SU in lax, let alone in the Dome and against a SUNY school. Now, I know that Albany is really good this year (has the #1 frosh in the country) and has been for the past few years, but that type of defeat should never happen, not in the Dome! The sport has grown tremendously over the past decade, so we no longer dominate the game as yesteryear (22 straight final fours, etc.) but Saturday's game was bleak and a real eye opener relative to our current place in college lax today. With football being relatively down the past two decades, lax was always a seemingly consistent & sure thing. :(

I am absolutely not confident.

It’s much more likely SU will be like Wake Forest than UNC or Duke post-JB.

Hiring a new coach is a huge crap shoot. There will be a much greater risk of transition-upset because of JB’s unique system. And SU is now in a truly tough Conference.
You just compared SU to Duke or UNC.
Way to move the goalposts.
JB hasn’t been Duke or UNC I don’t expect his replacement to be either.

This is laughable how you spin.

I love lacrosse and living in the Charlotte area I catch the Orange as much as I can and was at the ACC tournament last year at Duke. I watched the live stream of Saturday's game against Albany and was just deflated by the showing and how Albany just destroyed us. It was unfathomable not to long ago for anything like this to happen to SU in lax, let alone in the Dome and against a SUNY school. Now, I know that Albany is really good this year (has the #1 frosh in the country) and has been for the past few years, but that type of defeat should never happen, not in the Dome! The sport has grown tremendously over the past decade, so we no longer dominate the game as yesteryear (22 straight final fours, etc.) but Saturday's game was bleak and a real eye opener relative to our current place in college lax today. :(

Please. First off, this is a basketball thread.

Losses that shouldn't happen in the Dome?? :rolleyes:

How about:
DePaul, Seton Hall, St John's, that drubbing by a crappy Hoya team a few years ago, etc. -
JB has a fairly long list of embarrassing home defeats that "should never happen, not in the Dome."

You do anything for long enough, and those things are bound to happen, eventually.

I have no dog in the fight but imo all of that would be minimally effective in terms of predicting which one would be a better HC.
Autry has more checks off the box than GMac. If GMac take another job and proves he is good fine.
However if he is here the next 4-5 years then give me Autry who is looking for a HC job and wants to move up.

I would take Autry over GMac all day long.

It would seem to be a no brainer at this point. Autry has way more experience and is much more established recruiting wise. Those who say GMac but never give any reasons...I don’t get it.

Of course, things could change but as of right now Autry would have to be over GMac.

You just compared SU to Duke or UNC.
Way to move the goalposts.
JB hasn’t been Duke or UNC I don’t expect his replacement to be either.

This is laughable how you spin.
What I said was that in the future SU was more likely to be like Wake Forest than UNC or Duke. That,s the level at which we will be competing, IMO.

Autry has more checks off the box than GMac. If GMac take another job and proves he is good fine.
However if he is here the next 4-5 years then give me Autry who is looking for a HC job and wants to move up.

Without knowing anything else about either guy then I could see the nod going to Autry based on the items u referenced. But there's more that goes into it then just those particular boxes. Btw JB didn't check many boxes when he was hired to replace Danforth.

It would seem to be a no brainer at this point. Autry has way more experience and is much more established recruiting wise. Those who say GMac but never give any reasons...I don’t get it.

Of course, things could change but as of right now Autry would have to be over GMac.
100 percent agree and G-MAC was/is still my favorite player in the 32 years I have been watching.

Without knowing anything else about either guy then I could see the nod going to Autry based on the items u referenced. But there's more that goes into it then just those particular boxes. Btw JB didn't check many boxes when he was hired to replace Danforth.
I have no idea what candidates were interviewed when Danforth left.
I wouldn’t bet on GMac being JB 2.0 if that is point.

I love lacrosse and living in the Charlotte area I catch the Orange as much as I can and was at the ACC tournament last year at Duke. I watched the live stream of Saturday's game against Albany and was just deflated by the showing and how Albany just destroyed us. It was unfathomable not to long ago for anything like this to happen to SU in lax, let alone in the Dome and against a SUNY school. Now, I know that Albany is really good this year (has the #1 frosh in the country) and has been for the past few years, but that type of defeat should never happen, not in the Dome! The sport has grown tremendously over the past decade, so we no longer dominate the game as yesteryear (22 straight final fours, etc.) but Saturday's game was bleak and a real eye opener relative to our current place in college lax today. With football being relatively down the past two decades, lax was always a seemingly consistent & sure thing. :(

Yup. Lacrosse is now played in high schools all over the country and there are more and more good players available. And there are more colleges playing the sport, all of whom want to be successful.

The days of SU getting the best kids from West Genny and a few other high schools and dominating are over.

What I said was that in the future SU was more likely to be like Wake Forest than UNC or Duke. That,s the level at which we will be competing, IMO.

No. We have elite facilities, tradition, and a massive fan base...things Wake Forest has never had.

Please. First off, this is a basketball thread.

Losses that shouldn't happen in the Dome?? :rolleyes:

How about:
DePaul, Seton Hall, St John's, that drubbing by a crappy Hoya team a few years ago, etc. -
JB has a fairly long list of embarrassing home defeats that "should never happen, not in the Dome."

You do anything for long enough, and those things are bound to happen, eventually.

Oh, I wasn't aware, forgive me as I know threads never combine or ever stray off tangent here. I was referring to getting beat that way in the Dome in lacrosse as I responded to a post that mentioned it. I hope you feel better now that you've scolded me, "first off."

Syracuse is never going to be Duke or North Carolina.
Those are 2 of the top 5 teams in America yearly.

Syracuse can be Louisville, Virginia and win conference titles and be safe tournament teams yearly.

JB isn’t the only coach who can make Syracuse a consistent tournament team. JB is a HOFer and alltimer but Arizona survived Lute Olson. Michigan State survives Jud Heathcode, Louisville survived Denny Crum.

Good programs can and will be fine.
You forget we haven’t made the Tournament every year. We miss it 2-3 times a decade.

No. We have elite facilities, tradition, and a massive fan base...things Wake Forest has never had.

We have elite facilities and an even more impressive history in lacrosse. And the biggest fan base in the sport, by far.

And the fan base, composed mostly on non-alum locals and ex-locals, will be with SU for a while. But they are there for the winning, not the losing. Just read this board for the frustration and anger after a single loss.

This reminds of the time I was reading another message board and a guy said something along the lines of “Wake Forest fans are too demanding. They never should’ve fired Skip Prosser.”

Which has nothing to do with this conversation but anyway...

And SU is now in a truly tough Conference.

Huh? “Truly tough conference?” As to opposed to, say the Big East circa 2006-2013?

We have elite facilities and an even more impressive history in lacrosse. And the biggest fan base in the sport, by far.

And the fan base, composed mostly on non-alum locals and ex-locals, will be with SU for a while. But they are there for the winning, not the losing. Just read this board for the frustration and anger after a single loss.

I don’t follow lacrosse whatsoever besides watching SU when they’re in the championship on Memorial Day weekend if I’m home and not busy.

100 people can be frustrated on this board after losses, but 20,000 people still show up at the Dome regardless year after year.

Lacrosse doesn’t give out full scholarships.
Why go to Syracuse and pay 25k out of pocket when I can go to public school and it’s dirt cheap.

If lacrosse gave out full scholarships we would be fine.

Ivy’s and good public schools now have an advantage in lacrosse.
It’s not hard to figure out.
To come to Syracuse unless you get an academic scholarship your leaving in massive debt unless your family can pay for it.

Syracuse is never going to be Duke or North Carolina.
Those are 2 of the top 5 teams in America yearly.

Syracuse can be Louisville, Virginia and win conference titles and be safe tournament teams yearly.

JB isn’t the only coach who can make Syracuse a consistent tournament team. JB is a HOFer and alltimer but Arizona survived Lute Olson. Michigan State survives Jud Heathcode, Louisville survived Denny Crum.

Good programs can and will be fine.
You forget we haven’t made the Tournament every year. We miss it 2-3 times a decade.
Or we can be Georgetown or St Johns, once proud programs trying to struggle back from irrelevance.

This idea that we are somehow going to be better after JB or that we cannot do worse because of program momentum sounds like pure wishful thinking to me.

Or we can be Georgetown or St Johns, once proud programs trying to struggle back from irrelevance.

This idea that we are somehow going to be better after JB or that we cannot do worse because of program momentum sounds like pure wishful thinking to me.
Georgetown won 64% of its games under JT3, won 3 regular season Big East titles, 1 Conference tournament and was a top 4 seed in the NCAA tournament 6 times in 13 seasons and made 1 Final Four.
How the hell is that irrelevant?

Other than formerly being in the same conference, what do Georgetown and St. John’s have to do with Syracuse?

We’re in the ACC and they aren’t, we’ve been a consistent winner for much longer than they were, we are the only team a whole region cares about while they are well down the list in major cities even when they were good, we have better facilities(though I believe GTown is finally upgrading).

Lacrosse doesn’t give out full scholarships.
Why go to Syracuse and pay 25k out of pocket when I can go to public school and it’s dirt cheap.

If lacrosse gave out full scholarships we would be fine.

Ivy’s and good public schools now have an advantage in lacrosse.
It’s not hard to figure out.
To come to Syracuse unless you get an academic scholarship your leaving in massive debt unless your family can pay for it.
Well the situation hasn’t changed in 40 plus years, now it’s a problem?

And you obvious don’t understand how financial aid at the Ivies works. (But, I do.)

Norte Dame is expensive. Duke is expensive. Georgetown is expensive. Virginia is expensive for out of state students. All the Ivies are very expensive.

I know you think very highly of your own opinion, but what is so bad about anger?

I’d be concerned if their was apathy after a loss. There isn’t. The fans have high expectations. We expect to be top 25 year in and year out while being in the top four of the conference.

Historically we are the third or fourth best program in the league, but we haven’t been playing like that for a couple years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors