Goodbye Aluminum seats | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Goodbye Aluminum seats

That wouldn't be the worst thing, really. Gets SU some season ticket revenue it wouldn't otherwise have, and would provide cheap single-game tix for a season when attendance will likely be very challenged.

What was the ND showing like in 2003? I can't recall how many Irish fans were in the building that day.
That was a long time ago but my memory is that they had a good but not great turnout. About 1/3 of the fans there.

If memory serves, Tyrone Willingham was their HC that year. They were at the end of a dismal season where they finished 5-7.

I expect a much better turnout for this game.

The city should also have some tourist appeal.

What do you do with a bunch of people in Buffalo in early April. Hand them all snow shovels?
They've played Final 4s in Minneapolis and Indianapolis in April, not exactly great weather in either place there, especially Minny

Yeah, there's no way. Even if we had a relatively new 'state of the art' type facility that meets the current capacity requirement.

The Final Four venue should, IMO, absolutely be in a destination type city. If we are all being honest, Syracuse is as far from a destination type city as our hoops team seemingly is nowadays getting back to one anytime soon.

Additionally, I don't think the time of year it's held, typically the first few days in April, paints the area in its best light. Typically, the weather isn't really springlike, still often chilly and not that unusual to still get snow. Hardly anything is yet in bloom, the grass isn't that green, if green at all, etc. Not to mention, the street cleaning/sweep type machines haven't been out yet, so the roads still are messy, having a ton of crud/debris; salt, sand, gravel/slag, etc. on them applied from the harsh winter months.
Syracuse will never host a final four.

Indy you literally never have to go outside if downtown and Minneapolis is indoor connected pretty well too.
Good point. I've been to Minneapolis and saw all the indoor foot bridges connecting the buildings and city. We were there during the first week in October, glorious early fall weather. We walked the city outdoors.

We seemed to play Army and Navy alot in the Mac years.
Yes we did...Navy was actually a very consistent rival from the mid 60s to 1989...then poof nothing.

Army was much more spread out but I'd never call them a rival.

BL: we should play either as often as feasible. Navy will be nearly impossible due to the AAC, ND, Air Force and Army commitments.

Yes we did...Navy was actually a very consistent rival from the mid 60s to 1989...then poof nothing.

Army was much more spread out but I'd never call them a rival.

BL: we should play either as often as feasible. Navy will be nearly impossible due to the AAC, ND, Air Force and Army commitments.

Navy should leave the AAC. What are they getting $5M year tops? The ND every other year could get that alone. Add in 5 more P5 games and they likely get more money as an Indy.

That is great for the fan experience, but it has to be a significant reduction in capacity. If every seat is a real seat, we will be around 40k.
I was thinking the same thing - I am in favor of the real seat, but am curious as to how many seats are lost (not that we will need more than 40,000).

Sala said the blue seats will help reduce the patches of silver that can make the Carrier Dome look empty during low-attendance events. He said the school looked into orange seats but believed it would be difficult to get an exact match for Syracuse’s version.

The seats on the lower level will be slightly wider than seats on the upper level.

Sala said the stairs on the third level of the Carrier Dome will be widened and, as part of the seating upgrades. As part of its upgrades, Sala said the school will make improvements on seating options for people with disabilities and make sure the facility complies with the Americans With Disabilities Act.

i do think the would have been limited in getting an orange that matches , people always seemed more concerned about the orange than the blue mismatches

C0D6QtLUsAAoze8.jpg

I was thinking the same thing - I am in favor of the real seat, but am curious as to how many seats are lost (not that we will need more than 40,000).

Kenan put real seats in all but the student section (which we might as well do too) and lost 20% capacity. If the Dome is reduced by the same %, we are looking at 39,250. I am totally fine with that, especially if they are high quality seats. But that also means no more 30k for BBall. You are probably looking at 29k tops.

I’ve seen so many obese fans who could not fit in a non bench seat w arm rests .. saw one over 400 lb guy couldn’t walk up to higher row seats and finished crawling up on hands and knees .. his 5 family members took up 7/or 8 seats .. if he fell going down he could bowl over many people.

YES

Kenan put real seats in all but the student section (which we might as well do too) and lost 20% capacity. If the Dome is reduced by the same %, we are looking at 39,250. I am totally fine with that, especially if they are high quality seats. But that also means no more 30k for BBall. You are probably looking at 29k tops.
I suppose it really matters how much the high seats get reduced vs the low seats. making the lower deck seats wider doesnt do much to basketball with 2/3 of the sidelines not really basteball seats., what they do with the endzone pull out section matters though and thats prime seating for bball and also holds the band..

in reality you could leave bleachers in some of that section I suppose..

if they go with somewhat smaller upperdeck seats we may not lose 20% for bball.

But we only get those few 30K games anyway and many of those seats sucked to see the game.. actually better now with the score boards to be in the building and watch on the boards not the actual court.

For basketball they can make up some lost seating by reimagining the pullout section. With newer technology I'm sure could find a way to expand that area. If done right it might also be a possible olive branch to STHs who got bumped from the other side of the court.

Skinny people should be able to pay less. Have a few sections with smaller seats and allow thin people a chance to save some money since the Dome can put more seats in those sections. Incentivize thin! An idea whose time has come!