How Hot is Babers' Seat? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

How Hot is Babers' Seat?

The OP meant no disrespect IMO.
He frequents all the ACC boards and I bet was curious on how we felt about Dino.
He didn’t realize for the most part minus Shafer people Babers has some leash left and we are all happy with him now.

"minus Shafer people" Just couldn't help yourself. That's clownish.

For what it's worth, I haven't seen one poster on this board suggest Dino needs to go. Not one.

"minus Shafer people" Just couldn't help yourself. That's clownish.

For what it's worth, I haven't seen one poster on this board suggest Dino needs to go. Not one.
Your not Shafer people.
It’s the others.
I do have to say again how much the Shafer Era hurt us.
Dino is cleaning the talent problem. We are starting to get solid mid
Level P5 commits more frequently.

Your not Shafer people.
It’s the others.

Where are they? I know some people still like Shaf and respect the guy, but I haven't seen anyone asking for the AD to show Babers the door. Some are more cautiously optimistic, which being a Cuse fan for the last 20 years is fair. In any event there was no reason to try to instigate "Shafer people". Everyone seems on board with Babers. He's the best this school can dream to have right now. As others have also mentioned, the coaching turnover has been brutal.

Fedora isn’t very good. He underachieved when VA Tech and Miami were down. I would worry if I were a UNC fan.

Babers is safe for at least two years.

Your not Shafer people.
It’s the others.
I do have to say again how much the Shafer Era hurt us.
Dino is cleaning the talent problem. We are starting to get solid mid
Level P5 commits more frequently.
Yes it hurt us so bad that we have guys like Dungey, Ish, Philips. Isn't Ish an All-American? I get that Dino made that happen. I'm also not blind to the fact that you still have to have talent because Dino's not making me an AA.

Yes it hurt us so bad that we have guys like Dungey, Ish, Philips. Isn't Ish an All-American? I get that Dino made that happen. I'm also not blind to the fact that you still have to have talent because Dino's not making me an AA.
Shafer set the program back 5 years.
I will rip him every chance I get.
His tenure was terrible.
Like him all you want.
I am done with you on this topic. It’s pointless and just floods with the board.

His tenure was terrible.
Like him all you want.
I am done with you on this topic. It’s pointless and just floods with the board.
Fine, so be it. Think whatever you want. I'll keep thanking him for the AAs.

Honest question... We obviously have Scott (or McF**Kit I believe) to thank for bringing Steve in, but is Steve an AA playing in Lester's offense? I know I have my doubts.
I sort of answered this before but no I don't think so either. I give credit to Dino and his schemes for setting the records and getting Ish the recognition. I still give credit to Shafer's staff for identifying and landing him..philips, dungey, etc.

I sort of answered this before but no I don't think so either. I give credit to Dino and his schemes for setting the records and getting Ish the recognition. I still give credit to Shafer's staff for identifying and landing him..philips, dungey, etc.

Those guys get to recruit a lot of their old recruits twice, once for SU and a second time when they cannot play at SU.

The ones you mention, plus several others (Cordy, Franklin, Bennett, Slayton, Samuels, Fredrick -- even the other recent transfers) are not the problem. Shafer did well in bringing in those individuals, and identifying Moe Neal, Bradshaw for the 2016 class. But that is the best of the 2014 and 2015 classes, and it by far wasn't enough after no-shows and early attrition.

When Dino succeeds here, it will be because his classes are deeper, fewer non-contributors, his recruits are bigger, the top 45 or so players who see the field are more talented as a group.

Dino needs 4 years. Yes, i do think we are behind schedule for the "rebuild". That said he needs 4 solid years. He just has to stop with the game 6, year 2 promises and needs to really look at our defensive scheme. This combo of offensive and defensive styles is unknown and unproven at the P5 level. Would love to see it work and click.
He did, but nobody wanted to hear it. After year one he said he thought it would take longer than he originally projected. We can't fully judge the scheme until the right players are in place. D looked much better before we trotted out a mash unit.

You were right, you did answer it in your original post, I misread your statement as we don't have Dino to thank for those players. My bad.

I agree to a extent, but there are style points involved too. Cant lose to MTSU and play the way we did in Nov. I get it, some on here argue depth, but we actually stayed healthy this year relative to other programs. The team mailed it in when ED went down. That cant happen. Yes, i am a fan of the recruiting trends.
1. No we didn't. Guys were playing hurt because of the lack of depth. Bennett and Franklin didn't suddenly forget how to play football starting with WF.

2. They didn't mail it in. Dungey covered up a lot of problems with his playmaking. Those problems were exposed when he went out.

HCDB's system is now a proven system. Though the Orange have not racked up wins, there is a basis for reason and hope the team is headed in the right direction.

Two signature wins, one in each year of HCDB's leadership (VATech, Clemson)
Fighting to the end of the game (LSU-after spotting them some points; FSU, Miami, etc.)
Bare cupboards when HCDB arrived, no depth, no elites players
Improved depth as demonstrated on the field as the kids are hanging with elite talent until late in the game (this does wear on the kids towards the end of the season due to lack of depth)
Recruiting has improved (Star ratings, performance on field)
Kids are "All in" with HCDB and his system
All of the above while playing in the toughest division in CFB
The 2-deep is loaded with underclassmen

It is likely that had Dungey not been injured, we would have two more wins and a bowl game.
It is likely that if we had depth, we would have won at least two more games.

HCDB's seat is the perfect temperature. He will be winning from here on out as long as he wants to stay.

Fedora has blown talent, though some of the talent has been over-rated (not that we would have complained if they chose SU) but rather they are not as "elite" as advertised. This shows up in games against teams with similar or better talent (Miami, VATech, FSU, Clemson, Louisville) and with the remainder of the conference closing the gap talent wise and a group of very good to elite coaches.

I have not watched enough UNC games to determine whether Fedora is bad as a prep coach, bad game coach or simply a very good recruiter. Regardless, with the talent he has/had he should have been more successful. His seat should be heating up.

I Just saw this thread now, and I’m embarrassed that none of you have posted this...

images

His tenure was terrible.
Like him all you want.

This haiku nicely sums up my thoughts on the Shafer era.

It is likely that had Dungey not been injured, we would have two more wins and a bowl game.

Honestly you could say that about Baber's first two seasons. Had Dungey stayed healthy, I think we bowl both last year and this year.

I agree to a extent, but there are style points involved too. Cant lose to MTSU and play the way we did in Nov. I get it, some on here argue depth, but we actually stayed healthy this year relative to other programs. The team mailed it in when ED went down. That cant happen. Yes, i am a fan of the recruiting trends.

Well, let's be honest here. Middle Tennessee was Shafer's payback game, and he had those kids hyped up to the moon. I wasn't happy we lost that one, but it was not as unforeseeable as you might think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom