How Hot is Babers' Seat? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

How Hot is Babers' Seat?

Where did I blame Stephen Bailey for anything Shafer did? I stated that no one would have even known about it unless he snuck that picture of Shafer in a stairwell. I get it's Bailey's job to stir up emotions for his page clicks and comments. Not gonna get upset over it. Shafer had plenty of reasons to want to win that game. If we won the game like we were supposed to, his cigar stays in his pocket.

What I'm saying is that a lot of folks here act like Shafer walked out to mid-field and blew a cloud of cigar smoke into Floyd Little's face and stomped out the ashes on Ernie Davis's name. You all hate Shafer for being emotional and then go on emotional rants about how much you dislike him. It's ridiculous how much people want to hate the guy so much. I don't understand the point of hating someone who tried to do what he thought was best for the team/community we love. I just don't carry that hatred in my heart.
Exactly.
Don’t understand the “snowflake-like” complaints when an opposing coach celebrates a coveted victory.
You don’t want him to light a victory cigar? Simple...prevent him from getting the victory! The selective outrage is dumb, IMO.

Not gonna get upset over it. Shafer had plenty of reasons to want to win that game. If we won the game like we were supposed to, his cigar stays in his pocket.

What I'm saying is that a lot of folks here act like Shafer walked out to mid-field and blew a cloud of cigar smoke into Floyd Little's face and stomped out the ashes on Ernie Davis's name.
There’s a classy way to be after a win like that. The Dome is a nonsmoking venue. He coached here for many years and thus knew it. His actions were a blatant middle finger to SU. That’s unacceptable.

Had he done what you said in the 2nd line, I’d be on trial right now.

Where did I blame Stephen Bailey for anything Shafer did? I stated that no one would have even known about it unless he snuck that picture of Shafer in a stairwell. I get it's Bailey's job to stir up emotions for his page clicks and comments. Not gonna get upset over it. Shafer had plenty of reasons to want to win that game. If we won the game like we were supposed to, his cigar stays in his pocket.

What I'm saying is that a lot of folks here act like Shafer walked out to mid-field and blew a cloud of cigar smoke into Floyd Little's face and stomped out the ashes on Ernie Davis's name. You all hate Shafer for being emotional and then go on emotional rants about how much you dislike him. It's ridiculous how much people want to hate the guy so much. I don't understand the point of hating someone who tried to do what he thought was best for the team/community we love. I just don't carry that hatred in my heart.

I think the majority of people dislike Shafer for his lack of class, not because he was emotional.

Shafer had been gone for two years. The people who fired him were gone. The people who remained from his coaching stint were the kids he recruited and fans who supported and cheered for him.

I don’t hate Shafer. His behavior was classless.

He should’ve taken a page from pro athletes who score on their former team in their building and don’t demonstratively celebrate in front of former teammates and supporters.

I think the majority of people dislike Shafer for his lack of class, not because he was emotional.

Shafer had been gone for two years. The people who fired him were gone. The people who remained from his coaching stint were the kids he recruited and fans who supported and cheered for him.

I don’t hate Shafer. His behavior was classless.

He should’ve taken a page from pro athletes who score on their former team in their building and don’t demonstratively celebrate in front of former teammates and supporters.
These posts are a little dramatic.

The guy upset the P5 school that fired him in an away game while coaching a G5 school. Is it really the end of the world if he lit up a celebratory cigar?

And, to the prior poster, let's not pretend that there aren't a number of fans, students, and alumni who haven't been breaking Syracuse University smoking rules for years.

These posts are a little dramatic.

The guy upset the P5 school that fired him in an away game while coaching a G5 school. Is it really the end of the world if he lit up a celebratory cigar?

And, to the prior poster, let's not pretend that there aren't a number of fans, students, and alumni who haven't been breaking Syracuse University smoking rules for years.

There’s no drama in my post; I couldn’t care less about Scott Shafer.

Acknowledging his classless behavior isn’t dramatic or emotional.

To answer your rhetorical question - no, it’s not the end of the world he smoked a stogie on a smoke free campus.

But it was devoid of class given the setting and circumstance.

One doesn’t have to be obsessed or emotional about Scott Shafer to reasonably assess his behavior as classless in his last appearance.

Steven Clark (the player) handled his unfortunate departure from SU with tons of class. I’m indifferent about him now since he plays for a future opponent.

Doesn’t make it emotional or dramatic to point out his example of dignity and class.

There’s no drama in my post; I couldn’t care less about Scott Shafer.

Acknowledging his classless behavior isn’t dramatic or emotional.

To answer your rhetorical question - no, it’s not the end of the world he smoked a stogie on a smoke free campus.

But it was devoid of class given the setting and circumstance.

One doesn’t have to be obsessed or emotional about Scott Shafer to reasonably assess his behavior as classless in his last appearance.

Steven Clark (the player) handled his unfortunate departure from SU with tons of class. I’m indifferent about him now since he plays for a future opponent.

Doesn’t make it emotional or dramatic to point out his example of dignity and class.
Your post is making a mountain out of a mole hill. That's the definition of drama, and it's clearly dripping w/ emotion. Otherwise, why would you be bending over backwards to find some grave insult in some minor/trivial act that's honestly not even overly unexpected?

You're like those snowflakes who used to get all upset at Miami when they celebrated back in the day. To quote numerous Miami players/coaches/fans, don't let the other team win if you don't want them to celebrate. The real world isn't some massive safe space.

Your post is making a mountain out of a mole hill. That's the definition of drama, and it's clearly dripping w/ emotion. Otherwise, why would you be bending over backwards to find some grave insult in some minor/trivial act that's honestly not even overly unexpected?

You're like those snowflakes who used to get all upset at Miami when they celebrated back in the day. To quote numerous Miami players/coaches/fans, don't let the other team win if you don't want them to celebrate. The real world isn't some massive safe space.

You’re adorable.

I haven’t found any grave insult in Shafer’s behavior.

Let me take SS out of this to prove my point.

Baker Mayfield is an amazing college QB. I couldn’t care less about him.

Does it make me a snowflake for calling his crotch grabbing and middle finger waving classless?

I’ll hang up and listen.

You’re adorable.

I haven’t found any grave insult in Shafer’s behavior.

Let me take SS out of this to prove my point.

Baker Mayfield is an amazing college QB. I couldn’t care less about him.

Does it make me a snowflake for calling his crotch grabbing and middle finger waving classless?

I’ll hang up and listen.
Smoking a victory cigar = crotch grabbing and flipping the bird?

...that makes sense to you?

I think Larry Fedora's seat should be much hotter than apparently it is. I never would have approved that extension, and I would have fired him this season. I think Fedora is a hot house flower, and I am certain he has wasted talent, which almost certainly has hurt recruiting as well as team morale.

Babers has delivered a big signature win each year at Syracuse, but each team finished 4-8. The last Syracuse coach to have 3 consecutive losing seasons was Greg Robinson, and keeping him led to a 4th consecutive losing season.

So I assume that if Babers cannot deliver a bowl team in 2018 that he will be replaced.

And that gets us around to Fedora. UNC travels to the Carrier Dome next year. I think there is a good chance that the loser of that game will find his seat much hotter. We have a ton of Fedora excusers (who increasingly remind me of Bunting excusers), but Fedora is only 1-12 in his last 13 games versus a P5 opponent. So a loss to a team coming off 4 consecutive losing seasons would be a blow.

What do you think are the odds that Syracuse can lose to UNC and still finish with at least 6 wins?

incorrect. thanks for playing.

Smoking a victory cigar = crotch grabbing and flipping the bird?

...that makes sense to you?

You’re not getting this but I won’t give up on you yet.

I wasn’t comparing Shafer’s behavior to Mayfield’s antics.

I was using Mayfield to explain that calling someone’s behavior classless isn’t reflective of the level of emotion felt about that individual.

Accusations of snowflakery are more reflective of your continued emotional attachment to SS than others (like me) who couldn’t care less about him.

If you didn’t feel so strongly that SS was done wrong you wouldn’t be running to his defense every time a poster besmirched his reputation.

You’re not getting this but I won’t give up on you yet.

I wasn’t comparing Shafer’s behavior to Mayfield’s antics.

I was using Mayfield to explain that calling someone’s behavior classless isn’t reflective of the level of emotion felt about that individual.

Accusations of snowflakery are more reflective of your continued emotional attachment to SS than others (like me) who couldn’t care less about him.

If you didn’t feel so strongly that SS was done wrong you wouldn’t be running to his defense every time a poster besmirched his reputation.
I only run to his defense when there's no basis for the besmirch and/or when the basis is ridiculous (i.e. he smoked a victory cigar).

But on the victory cigar subject, where is your outrage at Alabama and Tennessee? The entire winning team of that game smokes cigars every year. Is every kid/coach that's won that game for the last couple of decades a classless jerk?

I only run to his defense when there's no basis for the besmirch and/or when the basis is ridiculous (i.e. he smoked a victory cigar).

But on the victory cigar subject, where is your outrage at Alabama and Tennessee? The entire winning team of that game smokes cigars every year. Is every kid/coach that's won that game for the last couple of decades a classless jerk?
The basis isn't ridiculous. I've never once heard that Shafer smoked a cigar after victories while head coach of SU in the Carrier Dome. If it was a tradition like you had noted with Alab/Tenn, then I don't think anyone here would have issue with it. The issue stems from it being out of character for the person in general. Further, he knew he'd be captured by Bailey via photo and I think went as far as to mention it in a postgame interview. It was a blatant "F-U SU!, and he went out of his way to make sure that it was noticed. That's why I'm taking issue with it.

I’m late to respond and someone already made a similar point.

Out of his 9 home victories as head coach how many times did SS light up a victory stogie in the Dome?

Two teams regularly play each other and celebrate winning with victory cigars is comparable to a guy who never smoked a stogie in 3 years as head coach but decided to light one up after he beat his former players for the university that fired him.

Where will you move the goalposts to next?

The basis isn't ridiculous. I've never once heard that Shafer smoked a cigar after victories while head coach of SU in the Carrier Dome. If it was a tradition like you had noted with Alab/Tenn, then I don't think anyone here would have issue with it. The issue stems from it being out of character for the person in general. Further, he knew he'd be captured by Bailey via photo and I think went as far as to mention it in a postgame interview. It was a blatant " -U SU!, and he went out of his way to make sure that it was noticed. That's why I'm taking issue with it.
So you'd have no issue with it ic he made a tradition of smoking cigars after beating Syracuse in the Carrier Dome, but you think it's a grave insult if he only does it once?

I assume you feel the same way about the first Bama/UT team to smoke cigars, no?

And it was a cigar. You're making it sound like he punched a nun while squirting orange juice in McNabb's eyes. If you're really this upset over a freaking cigar, then man, you need to get out more.

So you'd have no issue with it ic he made a tradition of smoking cigars after beating Syracuse in the Carrier Dome, but you think it's a grave insult if he only does it once?

I assume you feel the same way about the first Bama/UT team to smoke cigars, no?

And it was a cigar. You're making it sound like he punched a nun while squirting orange juice in McNabb's eyes. If you're really this upset over a freaking cigar, then man, you need to get out more.

It was a scrubby move. There’s really no defending it. It’s something a scrub would do.

I’m late to respond and someone already made a similar point.

Out of his 9 home victories as head coach how many times did SS light up a victory stogie in the Dome?

Two teams regularly play each other and celebrate winning with victory cigars is comparable to a guy who never smoked a stogie in 3 years as head coach but decided to light one up after he beat his former players for the university that fired him.

Where will you move the goalposts to next?
Goal posts? You're the one claiming that you're emotionally tough because you're not upset at a guy grabbing his crotch while flipping the bird, therefore it's a really big deal that you're upset about SS smoking a cigar ... but it isn't a big deal if he beat SU a lot and smoked a cigar after every win, because then it would be a tradition. But smoking a cigar after somewhere between 1 and enough to be a tradition number of wins = grave insult that's worse than grabbing a crotch while flipping the bird.

...OK.

It was a scrubby move. There’s really no defending it. It’s something a scrub would do.
It's a cigar. The guy helped coach a G5 team that upset the school that just fired him, a P5 school, in the P5 school's house. What did you expect him to do? ...be somber and apologize?

You guys are making it sound like he punched a kid.

At best (worst?), he exposed a handful of people to a minor amount of second hand smoke.

...the horror!

It's a cigar. The guy helped coach a G5 team that upset the school that just fired him, a P5 school, in the P5 school's house. What did you expect him to do? ...be somber and apologize?

You guys are making it sound like he punched a kid.

At best (worst?), he exposed a handful of people to a minor amount of second hand smoke.

...the horror!

Nah. Scrubby.

He should’ve been happy and handled it like a professional. But he’s a scrub. As we saw when he yelled at Dabo and talked about ISIS. Scrubby moves all around.

Nah. Scrubby.

He should’ve been happy and handled it like a professional. But he’s a scrub. As we saw when he yelled at Dabo and talked about ISIS. Scrubby moves all around.
1) Dabo is a creep that probably deserved it.
2) Do you even know what he said about Isis? Ironically, he said that he was lucky that he was getting criticized for dumb things (i.e. like you're doing) when there were people in the world who had real problems (like dealing w/ Isis). The truth is he was right. He probably could have phrased it better, but at the end of the day, it's all a dumb game.
3) Once again, he smoked a cigar. He didn't punch anybody's grandmother, he didn't steal any candy from any kids, and he didn't wear a Georgetown shirt. Heck, he didn't even fart in an elevator. He smoked a cigar. That's it. Let it go.

1) Dabo is a creep that probably deserved it.
2) Do you even know what he said about Isis? Ironically, he said that he was lucky that he was getting criticized for dumb things (i.e. like you're doing) when there were people in the world who had real problems (like dealing w/ Isis). The truth is he was right. He probably could have phrased it better, but at the end of the day, it's all a dumb game.
3) Once again, he smoked a cigar. He didn't punch anybody's grandmother, he didn't steal any candy from any kids, and he didn't wear a Georgetown shirt. Heck, he didn't even fart in an elevator. He smoked a cigar. That's it. Let it go.

No. I’m calling him Scrub Shafer from now on.

Look let’s end this. You aren’t going to change opinions anymore than anyone will change yours. Personally, I liked SS but that cigar move was classless and unnecessary towards players he had called family including many whom he had recruited. Guess he didn’t think winning was personally satisfying enough. I thought more of him believing he was too classy to pull something like that yet I was wrong obviously, no big deal but it’s over regardless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom