Hungry Chucks is back | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Hungry Chucks is back

I’m surprised no mention of the iconic SU bar … the Orange . Lou Reed hung out there with his professor Delmore Swartz in the round corner seats. A lot of great bands played in back including Jamfactory with Joe English who joined wings with Paul McCartney. There was a great Mexican restaurant in back for later years. So many good memories.

"Hungry Chucks is back! "​

the good news is it's reopened. the bad news is tim green is now managing the kitchen.

How does a company know if a bar or restaurant streams an event without paying the commercial fee? :confused:

UFC sues well-known Syracuse University-area bar that it says illegally streamed fights

Just pull the plug, maybe they can start a go fund me for the judgment they are going to get
I agree... and SU needs a good bar that fits ... a decent casual bar with good bar food and beer sold by the pitcher. Doesn't have to be a re-creation of Chucks. I think these guys overstayed their welcome. Hopefully someone else will fill the gap. I liked Hungry Charleys but Chucks was always a pale imitation. Chucks had ok food and pitchers but the beer was sometimes off and the place smelled like the lunch lady came by with and old rag full of bleach.

I agree... and SU needs a good bar that fits ... a decent casual bar with good bar food and beer sold by the pitcher. Doesn't have to be a re-creation of Chucks. I think these guys overstayed their welcome. Hopefully someone else will fill the gap. I liked Hungry Charleys but Chucks was always a pale imitation. Chucks had ok food and pitchers but the beer was sometimes off and the place smelled like the lunch lady came by with and old rag full of bleach.

Isn't that kind of Faegan's vibe?

Semi-OT, but back in the day when the drinking age was 18, a lot of the FB and BB players used to drink pitchers at the PLAV - Polish Legion of American Veterans.
Ukrainian Clubs still a solid gameday joint

UFC sues well-known Syracuse University-area bar that it says illegally streamed fights

Just pull the plug, maybe they can start a go fund me for the judgment they are going to get

2f7c6aea-a89c-4990-aae3-292aedab5162_text.gif

Faegan’s is good but I am thinking something good but cafeteria style for food. I never had a pitcher at Faegan’s. Do they sell pitchers?

Faegan’s is good but I am thinking something good but cafeteria style for food. I never had a pitcher at Faegan’s. Do they sell pitchers?

Not sure. I never sat at the bar there. I would sit at a table w waitress service. They have a lot of different drafts, as I recall.

I like Faegan’s but it’s small. When it gets packed in there before games, it’s not worth the hassle if you can’t get a decent spot.

Frankly I don’t know if we need the best options, we just need MORE options. So I was hoping the new Chuck’s would make it. Orange Crate is small inside too. The outdoor area makes it a good spot for football games, but obviously not for hoops.

Getting stuck having to go grab a beer at the boring Sheraton bar is no fun. More bars, please.

Last edited:
I was at many shows there .. have some on tapes I made including James. Brown where I waited 1/2 hour til he exited dressing room after the gig and got his autograph and a hug
Saw Jorma Kaukonen there one night. He played White Rabbit and other incredible stuff. 3 Matts for $1. Tasted like it had iron filings in it.

Saw Jorma Kaukonen there one night. He played White Rabbit and other incredible stuff. 3 Matts for $1. Tasted like it had iron filings in it.
Its all Weitzmans fault:)

I like Faegan’s but it’s small. When it gets packed in there before games, it’s not worth the hassle if you can’t get a decent spot.

Frankly I don’t know if we need the best options, we just need MORE options. So I was hoping the new Chuck’s would make it. Orange Crate is small inside too. The outdoor area makes it a good spot for football games, but obviously not for hoops.

Getting stuck having to go grab a beer at the boring Sheraton bar is no fun. More bars, please.
Harveys Garden was a sneaky good add last year. Spacious and a good variety of beers far enough from campus that it doesn’t get overrun by eager college kids.

I miss Darwin's. That was by far our favorite place on the Hill.

You have to be really bad at running a bar for it to fail in what is prime real estate in a college town. Mere steps away from campus and you went under. The generational gap aspect wouldn't apply if it was worth going to. Everyone doesn't want to go to Armory Square, Downtown or a house party where if you're lucky, you'll get one or two cups from the keg. I've always said that if I came into a hefty sum of money, one of the things I'd do is open one up there if the conditions were favorable.