Hypothetical | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Hypothetical

Rick Pitino WAS RECORDED ON THE PHONE NEGOTIATING $100K PAYMENT FOR A RECRUIT.
After they were already busted for providing underage hookers to recruits.
BTW- what ever happened to that FBI investigation? Arizona and 'Ville got a notice of allegations but then crickets. How Sean Miller is still head coach is beyond me, but if that were Syracuse we wouldn't be fielding a basketball team anymore, lol.

Dude, we are in the top 5 in revenue for hoops nationally. That money pays for recruiting, travel, and so much more - it isn't just for the athletic department's general fund and the rest of the university. It is the wellspring of so much more.

There would be money for basketball recruiting, travel, etc. even if there were smaller crowds at the Dome. We are a long, long way from “break-even” on basketball.

And the surplus generated by the basketball program does benefit the athletic deapryand the University in many ways. But it’s not money they have to have.

The University isn’t going to go wild trying to keep attendance at 25k average per game. They’ll do the best they can and basketball revenue will be result not an objective.

We are a long, long way from “break-even” on basketball.

Snopes says: "Pants on Fire".

Most Basketball Revenue, by College:

3. Syracuse University — $29,322,084

syracuse basketball dome

The Carrier Dome is the home of the Syracuse Orange basketball team.

3-year avg. men's basketball revenue: $28,521,803

1-year change: 9.0%

5-year change: 13.3%

Total athlete department donations: $ million

Athletics licensing/rights fees: $ million

2016 expenses: $2,110,527

2016 profit: $27,211,557

That's more money than Kentucky makes, more than Indiana, more than North Carolina, and more than everyone in the Big 10.

Snopes says: "Pants on Fire".

Most Basketball Revenue, by College:

3. Syracuse University — $29,322,084

syracuse basketball dome

The Carrier Dome is the home of the Syracuse Orange basketball team.

3-year avg. men's basketball revenue: $28,521,803

1-year change: 9.0%

5-year change: 13.3%

Total athlete department donations: $ million

Athletics licensing/rights fees: $ million

2016 expenses: $2,110,527

2016 profit: $27,211,557

That's more money than Kentucky makes, more than Indiana, more than North Carolina, and more than everyone in the Big 10.

What’s your point? All that says we are a long way from break-even, just like I said.

Just my opinion but I don't think upper echelon of ACC is out of reach...

Indulge me for a moment if you will...

I firmly believe that a perfect storm has resulted in the team that we are putting on the floor today:

1. Sanctions. Left us with a much thinner margin of error with our recruiting and, therefore, the misses become much more significant.

2. Our most prolific recruiter left. That impacted the program threefold: 1) There was a recruiting void created by his departure. 2) Guys, like Stewart, who would be wearing orange today if Hop were still here, went elsewhere. 3) Somebody, either JB or an assistant(s) needed to fill Hop's large recruiting shoes.

3. Misses on guys we either went all-in on and did not get or guys that we did get that haven't yet lived up to their rankings. Misses that we could ill-afford given our recruiting penalties.

The recruiting cycle is not a months-long process. It is a years' long process. Hop starting recruiting Stewart when he was a freshmen. That is four years ago. Unless you are K or Calipari, you don't simply get to walk into a 4 or 5 star recruits living room late in the process and expect to land him.

Therefore, even once JB reengaged in the recruiting process and someone else stepped up to become lead assistant recruiter (no statement on whether or not anyone on current staff can be as good a recruiter as Hop was), it was going to take time for that process to yield results.

So, here we are 3 years later and we have just landed the highest-rated recruit in some time. Hopefully, this is the start of a secular uptick in recruiting that will persist even once JB leaves the nest.

Bottom line, I don't think you have to sell out, as you put it, to be successful in basketball the way you clearly do in football - at least not yet. You just need to get back to recruiting the same type of talent that you were recruiting a mere 5-6 years ago. Not saying it is easy or a no-brainer that it gets done but I do think it is more doable than you imply it is.
We just lost a recruit to UCONN that we were recruiting for three years. He was also in our back yard. I don’t see anything changing. I want to see Dior make it to campus before we say we’ve turned the corner in recruiting. The ACC has hurt our recruiting base. Seton Hall and Villanova are the premier basketball teams in the East, along with Rutgers this year. Parents want to watch their kids play (Jackson) and the ACC doesn’t allow them to do that at SU anymore. JB won’t expand his recruiting area and players want to be ready to play in the NBA. You can bet coaches are telling recruits you don’t want to play zone. Believe it or not, that alone eliminates us from some of the top recruits. At least we stopped playing games in the 50’s this year. I hope this helps. People are excited about Etienne and Clingman, but they aren’t top twenty recruits. I don’t believe Clingman is even ranked yet. I hope they turn recruiting around. I’ve been a season ticket holder for nearly 20 years and what we currently have on the court is not even close to the level of talent we had when we were in the a Big East.

So defending GMac in a presser against an anonymous assistant coach somehow casts a doubt about his recommendation to Wildhack on who the next coach should be or even what Wildhack’s alternatives are.

I don’t have an idealized view of JB. I do have an impression based on watching him and listening to him since he was an assistant. There’s no body I would trust more to do the right thing for the University.

I know you don’t think you do.

We just lost a recruit to UCONN that we were recruiting for three years. He was also in our back yard. I don’t see anything changing. I want to see Dior make it to campus before we say we’ve turned the corner in recruiting. The ACC has hurt our recruiting base. Seton Hall and Villanova are the premier basketball teams in the East, along with Rutgers this year. Parents want to watch their kids play (Jackson) and the ACC doesn’t allow them to do that at SU anymore. JB won’t expand his recruiting area and players want to be ready to play in the NBA. You can bet coaches are telling recruits you don’t want to play zone. Believe it or not, that alone eliminates us from some of the top recruits. At least we stopped playing games in the 50’s this year. I hope this helps. People are excited about Etienne and Clingman, but they aren’t top twenty recruits. I don’t believe Clingman is even ranked yet. I hope they turn recruiting around. I’ve been a season ticket holder for nearly 20 years and what we currently have on the court is not even close to the level of talent we had when we were in the a Big East.

I agree. The talent we have on the floor right now reminds me of Boeheim's days in the ECAC, or very early days of the Big East.

We have Sonny Spera (Buddy) at 2G, Hal Cohen (Joe) at the PG, Rafael Addison (Eli) at SF, Sean Kerins (Marek) at PF/C, Andre Hawkins (Sidibe) at C, with Fred Saunders (Quincy) at F and Ross Kindel (Goodine) at G coming off the bench.

Sort of like Indiana?

The fan base, arena and history doesn’t seem to be working as well as it once did?

Continuity? Sure, that’s reasonable. We should be able to stay in the middle of the ACC pack. But, I don’t think that’s what you are interested in. You want resurgence. Right?

My opinion is that whoever we get in here next will not be as good or as successful as Boeheim. Some of that is coaching skill and some of it will be due to changing circumstance.

I wish it would not be so, but if I were to bet, that’s what I would bet on.
You still seem to be discussing this as if the two options are:
- some destined-to-fail schmuck, versus
- another 10-15 years of Boeheim, where he starts signing top 20 high schoolers on the reg, and he has the energy to outcoach and out train everyone else, and the zone becomes a mystery again, and...
I think you are wrong about the impact of the Dome. Other than generating a lot of revenue. It’s not much of a home court advantage as our record in games with more than 25k fans demonstrates.

And “why it’s not impossible” (your words) is a long, long way from highly probable.

I’ll stick with my base opinion. The next coach will not be as good as JB would have been. In the short term and maybe even the intermediate one, this will be a struggle.

There are 10 or 12 other teams who want to get to the top tier of the ACC.
I never said anything about it being a home court advantage.
Never once. In 30 years.
My comments about the dome are with regard to it being appealing to a high schooler. And in that respect, I honestly think the dome was a major recruiting tool. It also put a smallish private school on the map. People knew about The Dome way before they ever paid attention to who the coach was.

Here’s the other thing... in my 45-ish years of sports fandom, with all the teams in all the sports that I’ve ‘loved,’ in not one instance was my choice of a team related to the coach. Zero times. I frankly think it’s the same with any other teenager. The coach is a bullet point factor when you grow up liking teams. There are probably a handful of coaches across all the ‘amateur’ sports that command that kind of interest/respect/adoration.

Next... in everything I read from you on the topic, you still seem to be stuck in a notion where the rest of us are trying to get JB fired Today, versus him potentially riding it out, experiencing a resurgence over the next six years and then retiring with another championship after another 15 years. Your JB is 50, and still innovating, and still impressing recruits with his Hall of Fame sash and scepter.

You still seem to be discussing this as if the two options are:
- some destined-to-fail schmuck, versus
- another 10-15 years of Boeheim, where he starts signing top 20 high schoolers on the reg, and he has the energy to outcoach and out train everyone else, and the zone becomes a mystery again, and...

I never said anything about it being a home court advantage.
Never once. In 30 years.
My comments about the dome are with regard to it being appealing to a high schooler. And in that respect, I honestly think the dome was a major recruiting tool. It also put a smallish private school on the map. People knew about The Dome way before they ever paid attention to who the coach was.

Here’s the other thing... in my 45-ish years of sports fandom, with all the teams in all the sports that I’ve ‘loved,’ in not one instance was my choice of a team related to the coach. Zero times. I frankly think it’s the same with any other teenager. The coach is a bullet point factor when you grow up liking teams. There are probably a handful of coaches across all the ‘amateur’ sports that command that kind of interest/respect/adoration.

Next... in everything I read from you on the topic, you still seem to be stuck in a notion where the rest of us are trying to get JB fired Today, versus him potentially riding it out, experiencing a resurgence over the next six years and then retiring with another championship after another 15 years. Your JB is 50, and still innovating, and still impressing recruits with his Hall of Fame sash and scepter.
Nah!

Boeheim isn’t some appendage or afterthought to the program. After 40+ years at the helm, he pretty much is the program. He’s outlived a string of chancellors, AD’s, football coaches and generations of students.

I don’t decide who fans are. But if someone doesn’t have faith in Boeheim, doesn’t like our signature strategies, and they aren’t an alum, what is it that makes them a fan? They should just go to Dick’s and pick out a t shirt of a team that they like the coach of and the style of play. Presto! Frustration and disappointment alleviated.

Nah!

Boeheim isn’t some appendage or afterthought to the program. After 40+ years at the helm, he pretty much is the program. He’s outlived a string of chancellors, AD’s, football coaches and generations of students.

I don’t decide who fans are. But if someone doesn’t have faith in Boeheim, doesn’t like our signature strategies, and they aren’t an alum, what is it that makes them a fan? They should just go to Dick’s and pick out a t shirt of a team that they like the coach of and the style of play. Presto! Frustration and disappointment alleviated.

This is the Towniest of takes.

"A long way from break-even" to most people means unprofitable, not wildly profitable.
If you read his opening two sentences, he obviously meant it would take a lot just to get close to break-even, meaning we're so far over the break-even point we're not even close.

I took the statement the way he meant it.
1582239728407.gif

Is that what you're going to do after JB retires?

Townie's clothes are 100% tailor made. Dude is resplendent.

As far as this thread goes, whatever will be will be. I thought we had the answer but not sure about that either anymore...

Based on his posts I just assume Townie is a JB fan first and a Syracuse fan second.
He’s been here 44 years as the head coach, he coached every game (except for a handful), he signed off on or helped recruit every player, he hired every assistant coach, the strategies are all his ideas, etc., etc. I have a hard time understanding what part of the SU basketball program he hasn’t affected.

This idea that there are fans of Syracuse but not of JB sounds phony to me, especially coming from non-Alums. It’s a justification used by constant critics.

He’s been here 44 years as the head coach, he coached every game (except for a handful), he signed off on or helped recruit every player, he hired every assistant coach, the strategies are all his ideas, etc., etc. I have a hard time understanding what part of the SU basketball program he hasn’t affected.

This idea that there are fans of Syracuse but not of JB sounds phony to me, especially coming from non-Alums. It’s a justification used by constant critics.
Do Auburn fans care who their football coach is? What about Alabama? When Bob Knight left and Jim Calhoun retired, Indiana and UConn fans didn’t stop supporting their program. Indiana fans didn’t become Texas Tech fans did they?

Is that what you're going to do after JB retires?

Hardly. I’m a double alum. I root for all SU teams and support all the coaches, players and staff in all sports. If I’m in town, I’ll go watch SU lax at Hopkins on March 7.

Do Auburn fans care who their football coach is? What about Alabama? When Bob Knight left and Jim Calhoun retired, Indiana and UConn fans didn’t stop supporting their program. Indiana fans didn’t become Texas Tech fans did they?

Yeah, but when those coaches are in place and active, I think the fans do support them.

We just lost a recruit to UCONN that we were recruiting for three years. He was also in our back yard. I don’t see anything changing. I want to see Dior make it to campus before we say we’ve turned the corner in recruiting.

You are entitled to that opinion. I didn't say we turned the corner. I said that we have the opportunity to turn the corner with both sanctions and Hop's departure behind us.

And we've lost plenty of recruits in our own backyard going all the way back to Sam Perkins in the late seventies. Didn't really hurt us for 40 years. Now it's apparently a problem.

The ACC has hurt our recruiting base. Parents want to watch their kids play (Jackson) and the ACC doesn’t allow them to do that at SU anymore.

The move to the ACC also coincides with sanctions and, subsequently, Hop's departure. I don't think you can yet say whether the move to the ACC has hurt recruiting. As to your second point, that is speculation.

Seton Hall and Villanova are the premier basketball teams in the East, along with Rutgers this year.

LOL..C'mon.

Villanova, yes.

Seton Hall? They have won four NCAA tournament games this century and won a single tourney game in the last 15 years. As "mediocre" as we've been, their fans would have sold their mothers for our last decade.

Rutgers? Just stop.

JB won’t expand his recruiting area and players want to be ready to play in the NBA. You can bet coaches are telling recruits you don’t want to play zone. Believe it or not, that alone eliminates us from some of the top recruits.

We've been playing mostly zone for almost 25 years and NOW it is a recruiting issue? And, I'm sure that the zone has been a factor with recruits going back 25 years. Certainly didn't hurt us with all the great recruiting we did up until about 2015...

And for a program that doesn't get guys ready for the NBA, we seem to get a bunch drafted.

No offense but your post is not very convincing.

Nah!

Man alive. That's just a sad, sad perspective.

• Who said Boeheim is an "afterthought?" Why do you need to distort and completely mischaracterize a comment/set of comments in order to wrangle it into your 'argument?' I'll try to explain it a different way... I chose the Reds in the 70s. Because they had a great selection of players, and some who played like i hoped to. Around 75, i was playing whiffle ball with a friend and he hit one and said it went over the Green Monster. I had no idea what he was talking about. He told me, i paid attention to the next Red Sox game i could find, and i became a fan of Jim Rice and Yaz and that crew... because i identified with those players, and loved the design of Fenway, etc. Later in the 70s, i saw Walter Payton play. From one play, i became a fan—i identified with his style, as i was also about to start playing tailback for a pop warner team. Etc. etc etc., with several other teams over the years. Not once did it matter who the coach was. When the Bears had Ditka, Ditka was a fun "appendage or afterthought," in your terminology. More like a 'bullet point' in mine. The point is that FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE RECRUITS, Boeheim doesn't represent the same thing that he may for people who have followed the program for 20-50 years. He. Just. Doesn't. Kids become fans of programs for a lot of reasons. Most of which revolve around how THEY see themselves fitting into that scene. How THEY like/emulate a certain player. None of them say, "I want to play for the irrascible, old, cantankerous whiner, who plays the slowest pace in the ACC, and who jerks you out of a game and reams you because you couldn't sprint to the opposite corner to contest a three from a squirt who was open because the ball moves faster than the feet can." If you're paying attention to the lip service about playing for a HoF coach, you're just listening to kids' own sense of PR and... bullet/talking points—paying respect to their boss.

So, a kid is in junior high. He watches games. Likes teams. When he gets to be a top 25 recruit, he already knows who he wants to play for. Just like any of us would. Based on style, uniforms, stadiums, location, whatever. The name of the coach is not that high on that list. It's a bullet point. Except for a handful of coaches, who command that kind of respect due to a bunch of Nat Champs, it's the relationship with the staff that makes the difference and that's still AFTER a kid has already narrowed a list of schools down based on his own fandom and appreciation.

Saying JB IS the program is fatalistic. You're essentially saying it's all over when he retires. Which we had better all hope is ridiculous. You say this, even when shown that other programs have thrived after a 'legendary' coach was no longer there. We just got smacked in the face by just such a program.

As for why fans are fans... man, i really shouldn't have to explain such a thing to an adult. I just can't reconcile the kind of tribalistic attitude required to think the way you do—that in order to be a 'fan,' you have to swear absolute fealty. Ignore warts. Fly the flag, sing the song, and drone the mantra. Yeah, i can be a fan of Syracuse without having "faith in Boeheim." For one thing, "faith" in a human being is NEVER absolute or eternal. People change. We're talking about SPORTS. People outlive their effectiveness. You, though, seem to suggest that a history with some success means we're supposed to have a lifetime allegiance to the man. No matter what. I would suggest that if you were a fan of the actual program, and not just the man, you'd be interested in what's best For The Program at any given moment, and not just what's best for the man. But, you have already expressed that you can't/don't separate the two. That's the fundamental flaw in the thinking.

As for what else makes for a 'fan?' Well, i AM an alum. So, does that mean i don't need the Faith, or have to like our "signature strategies?" What, exactly, are the signature strategies? Because, when i came aboard, we weren't a zone team. You're again not recognizing/reconciling that things change over time. When i started in 85, we were a high-flying, fast-breaking, showtime team. With lightning and skill at point, and thunder in the middle. I was immediately 'a fan' because i experienced that first-hand, and because that team 'sorta' represented me, and because of my immediate familiarity, and because i hadn't really consistently cared about another college hoops team, and SU was there to fill that gap. There's no reason why the same set of factors couldn't be motivating factors for someone who ISN'T an alum. The same way i 'adopted' The Red Sox, even though i liked in Phillies country. The same way i stayed a Sox fan, even through 25 years of living in Manhattan. When the managers changed. When the players changed. When we sucked, when we were great. When there was great disappointment. Fandom exists for a lot of reasons. It persists (or doesn't) for a lot of reasons. Your reasons don't have to be the same as anyone else's. But, when they occur naturally, sometimes they persist. You're looking at things in a bubble. This forum, for instance. Fact is, there are probably a lot of people who at one time were Syracuse fans. And then they stopped. Because the players they liked went away. The style of play changed. And even though JB was the constant, that just wasn't enough. I've had the same happen with me with a bunch of NFL teams. I like the way they play for certain seasons. I like certain players—i've 'adopted' teams who drafted Syracuse players... and then cared a lot less after those guys weren't there anymore. Lots of reasons for some kinds of fandom. Being an "alum" only works in college sports. And yet, there are people who are just as 'committed' to professional teams. How is that possible?

At this point if you believe sanctions are why we are where we are now then no criticism is ever allowed.

JB is responsible for the basketball program. It doesn’t mean the NCAA isn’t a corrupt POS organization and we were overpunished.

Those are separate issues.

JB is coaching for as long as he wants now but the program has struggled recently for way more than sanctions.

The math has shown time and time again how few times JB used all the available scholarships the last 10 years.

THANK YOU FOR THIS

Man alive. That's just a sad, sad perspective.

• Who said Boeheim is an "afterthought?" Why do you need to distort and completely mischaracterize a comment/set of comments in order to wrangle it into your 'argument?' I'll try to explain it a different way... I chose the Reds in the 70s. Because they had a great selection of players, and some who played like i hoped to. Around 75, i was playing whiffle ball with a friend and he hit one and said it went over the Green Monster. I had no idea what he was talking about. He told me, i paid attention to the next Red Sox game i could find, and i became a fan of Jim Rice and Yaz and that crew... because i identified with those players, and loved the design of Fenway, etc. Later in the 70s, i saw Walter Payton play. From one play, i became a fan—i identified with his style, as i was also about to start playing tailback for a pop warner team. Etc. etc etc., with several other teams over the years. Not once did it matter who the coach was. When the Bears had Ditka, Ditka was a fun "appendage or afterthought," in your terminology. More like a 'bullet point' in mine. The point is that FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE RECRUITS, Boeheim doesn't represent the same thing that he may for people who have followed the program for 20-50 years. He. Just. Doesn't. Kids become fans of programs for a lot of reasons. Most of which revolve around how THEY see themselves fitting into that scene. How THEY like/emulate a certain player. None of them say, "I want to play for the irrascible, old, cantankerous whiner, who plays the slowest pace in the ACC, and who jerks you out of a game and reams you because you couldn't sprint to the opposite corner to contest a three from a squirt who was open because the ball moves faster than the feet can." If you're paying attention to the lip service about playing for a HoF coach, you're just listening to kids' own sense of PR and... bullet/talking points—paying respect to their boss.

So, a kid is in junior high. He watches games. Likes teams. When he gets to be a top 25 recruit, he already knows who he wants to play for. Just like any of us would. Based on style, uniforms, stadiums, location, whatever. The name of the coach is not that high on that list. It's a bullet point. Except for a handful of coaches, who command that kind of respect due to a bunch of Nat Champs, it's the relationship with the staff that makes the difference and that's still AFTER a kid has already narrowed a list of schools down based on his own fandom and appreciation.

Saying JB IS the program is fatalistic. You're essentially saying it's all over when he retires. Which we had better all hope is ridiculous. You say this, even when shown that other programs have thrived after a 'legendary' coach was no longer there. We just got smacked in the face by just such a program.

As for why fans are fans... man, i really shouldn't have to explain such a thing to an adult. I just can't reconcile the kind of tribalistic attitude required to think the way you do—that in order to be a 'fan,' you have to swear absolute fealty. Ignore warts. Fly the flag, sing the song, and drone the mantra. Yeah, i can be a fan of Syracuse without having "faith in Boeheim." For one thing, "faith" in a human being is NEVER absolute or eternal. People change. We're talking about SPORTS. People outlive their effectiveness. You, though, seem to suggest that a history with some success means we're supposed to have a lifetime allegiance to the man. No matter what. I would suggest that if you were a fan of the actual program, and not just the man, you'd be interested in what's best For The Program at any given moment, and not just what's best for the man. But, you have already expressed that you can't/don't separate the two. That's the fundamental flaw in the thinking.

As for what else makes for a 'fan?' Well, i AM an alum. So, does that mean i don't need the Faith, or have to like our "signature strategies?" What, exactly, are the signature strategies? Because, when i came aboard, we weren't a zone team. You're again not recognizing/reconciling that things change over time. When i started in 85, we were a high-flying, fast-breaking, showtime team. With lightning and skill at point, and thunder in the middle. I was immediately 'a fan' because i experienced that first-hand, and because that team 'sorta' represented me, and because of my immediate familiarity, and because i hadn't really consistently cared about another college hoops team, and SU was there to fill that gap. There's no reason why the same set of factors couldn't be motivating factors for someone who ISN'T an alum. The same way i 'adopted' The Red Sox, even though i liked in Phillies country. The same way i stayed a Sox fan, even through 25 years of living in Manhattan. When the managers changed. When the players changed. When we sucked, when we were great. When there was great disappointment. Fandom exists for a lot of reasons. It persists (or doesn't) for a lot of reasons. Your reasons don't have to be the same as anyone else's. But, when they occur naturally, sometimes they persist. You're looking at things in a bubble. This forum, for instance. Fact is, there are probably a lot of people who at one time were Syracuse fans. And then they stopped. Because the players they liked went away. The style of play changed. And even though JB was the constant, that just wasn't enough. I've had the same happen with me with a bunch of NFL teams. I like the way they play for certain seasons. I like certain players—i've 'adopted' teams who drafted Syracuse players... and then cared a lot less after those guys weren't there anymore. Lots of reasons for some kinds of fandom. Being an "alum" only works in college sports. And yet, there are people who are just as 'committed' to professional teams. How is that possible?

Zelda, I admire your passion and effort on this. It’s a hell of an attempt to define the nature of fandom across multiple sports.

And I’ll agree that players, opponents and even coaches come and go. I was a huge Celtics fan for decades because of Auerbach and Russell, the Jones boys, Havlicek, Howell, Sanders, Cowan’s, Jo Jo White, Byrd, etc, etc.. But I don’t care about them now or the NBA in general.

I get it.

But the relationship between Boeheim and SU basketball is different qualitatively and quantitatively than that between Yaz and the Sawks. JB is more intertwined with the program. The degree to which his fingerprints have been on every decision and action over a 44 year period is almost unprecedented in sports, pro or college.

The relationship between an alum and the school’s teams is also different because it’s tied up with the entire experience of attending the school. For us, SU sports are are part and parcel of the classes, the profs, the friends, the parties and all that. For us, SU just isn’t the local substitute for a pro franchise the area doesn’t have and which helps the locals deal with cabin fever in an inhospitable climate.

Most of the criticism of JB on here occurs after a loss. It seems to me to be an unattractive combination of frustration and entitlement coupled with an “I can say anything I want because I’m a fan” attitude.

My guess is that those that think it’s Boeheim that has been holding the program back from the greatness to which the fan base is entitled or accustomed to are going to be unpleasantly surprised at the length and depth of the transition. Hiring new coaches is a crap shoot at best.

While SU was integral to the Big East, it’s a geographic and cultural outlier in the ACC. The big home crowds could easily shrink significantly if the apparently very high expectations of the fans aren’t met in even the short term.

We’ll see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom