I think you gotta give this guy | Syracusefan.com

I think you gotta give this guy

I actually come away from this game thinking the opposite. Greggers even beat some ranked teams, Shafer still has not. These are great moral victories but don't change the overall record against our peer schools.

a chance to see this through. A couple more years with his guys and I think we got something going. They coached their butts off and the kids played likewise.
I'm not disagreeing but I know a lot of people are passionate about #fireshafer. I'd like to see the team play with this desire to finish out the season and put up a couple wins. Then people can judge.

Like I said the performance/effort today saved his Job. Don't even matter if we lose out and finish 3-9. But I think we will get a win and finish 4-8.

Couple more sub .500 seasons and we might get there....

At this point it's either can Shafer or extend him. Lame duck season doesn't do this program any good. I'm firmly on the can him side. Way too many questionable coaching decisions that shouldn't be happening in year 3. Year 1? Okay. Year 2? Maybe. Definitely not year 3.

Disagree that he should be given another year (or more), but I fear that he will be nonetheless.

Good effort today though - especially after the awful 14-0 start.

Who wants to come to Syracuse with all the vacant coaching spots? We have to be down at the bottom of the list. I'm tired of the new coach shuffle every few years. This is getting old. If we can't hire a person with head coaching experience and a great resume, then we stick with what we have. We shouldn't change just to change (and whether Shafer deserves it or not).

Who wants to come to Syracuse with all the vacant coaching spots? We have to be down at the bottom of the list. I'm tired of the new coach shuffle every few years. This is getting old. If we can't hire a person with head coaching experience and a great resume, then we stick with what we have. We shouldn't change just to change (and whether Shafer deserves it or not).
I agree with this. If they fire Shafer and are not willing to open the war chest, then there was no point in firing him.

Last edited:
Like I said the performance/effort today saved his Job. Don't even matter if we lose out and finish 3-9. But I think we will get a win and finish 4-8.
Absolutely have to beat BC. No excuse to lose to them. At some point you just have to win a game.

I don't recall anyone suggesting we should just make a change to make a change. Everyone is suggesting if we make a change it should be for someone with HC experience.

Actually it shows the coaches are holding back the young talent
I don't know but I know what you are saying. I think everyone on the roster has been given an opportunity. If anything he tries to be too fair in splitting playing time but everyone needs to be able to produce when asked to. I think this has happened more than not but then he'll still give that same guy an opportunity later on.

Is the bar set so low that the coach can lead his team to back to back 3-9 season but hey as long as the team tried really hard in a couple of games that is all we can really ask for.

To me this game proved to me that there is enough talent on this team that we should be beating out peer schools and it is the coaches holding this team back. This type of effort should be given every game not just against top ranked teams at home. That's all coaching.

I love the way that the kids played today, but definitely think that we should hold off on any judgments for the next 2 games (negative or positive.) If we show up to play the next 2 weeks and get a couple of wins then I'd definitely be on board with keeping him around just a tad longer, but if not then we still need to reevaluate the situation.

Is the bar set so low that the coach can lead his team to back to back 3-9 season but hey as long as the team tried really hard in a couple of games that is all we can really ask for.

To me this game proved to me that there is enough talent on this team that we should be beating out peer schools and it is the coaches holding this team back. This type of effort should be given every game not just against top ranked teams at home. That's all coaching.
Please define "peer school".

I'm getting excited about next year. When a 5th string non scholarship quarterback can get thrown into the fray in the last minute and play competitively with those teams and is surrounded by other frosh and sophs and with a good recruiting class coming in I think Shafer will have a good year and make us proud of SU again

I actually come away from this game thinking the opposite. Greggers even beat some ranked teams, Shafer still has not. These are great moral victories but don't change the overall record against our peer schools.
Clemson is not a peer school and this young team was in it against all our peer schools minus Ville. Shafer gets another year. They are close

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom