If Battle is back next year where are Hughes minutes going to come from? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If Battle is back next year where are Hughes minutes going to come from?

He came all this way to come here for one year?
Maybe so. He might prefer to go back home and play professionally and get paid, especially if he sees an uphill battle for playing time on the horizon.

I said it in the game thread last night - I'm done listening to the "Battle is 100% gone" nonsense. He's not even the best player on one of the worst Syracuse teams JB has ever fielded, but he's going to the NBA after this year? Ok...

If he really leaves after this season, then he's either delusional or he has some really bad advice being spewed into his head. He's absolutely not one of the 60 best prospects both in college or internationally. Especially in this year's draft. It's just nonsense.
Same goes for Brissett.

As far as Battle and evening OB declaring - nothing about the past decade for us has indicated that someone will come back to 'Cuse if it's 50/50. We've been burned often.
You mean other than Battle last year and Lydon the year before?

Maybe so. He might prefer to go back home and play professionally and get paid, especially if he sees an uphill battle for playing time on the horizon.
Well, it was mentioned on this board, so he's gone for sure.

Well, it was mentioned on this board, so he's gone for sure.
Just trying to soften the blow for Briancuse in case it happens.

If he wants to get paid for his services he might want to learn how to shoot.

I have to wonder if this is based on what they heard before the season or perhaps the early part of the season.

It was a foregone conclusion that Battle was leaving a couple months ago. It was like a very badly kept secret. Now I guess we'll see if that's still the case. Haven't heard differently but things can change. All I know is we'd have way too many mouths that would expect to be fed if he comes back. I still will be floored if it happens, only because of how much of a lock it was for him to be gone, despite how dodgy he's been playing lately.

If he wants to get paid for his services he might want to learn how to shoot.
He can learn to do that just as easily in Europe.

It was a foregone conclusion that Battle was leaving a couple months ago. It was like a very badly kept secret.
And that makes sense. What doesn't make sense is sticking with that decision out of stubbornness.

Easy answer. HW and Buddy redshirt, nobody plays more than 35 minutes a game, and JB feels more comfortable with a 3 guard lineup having Battle, Frank, Carey and Hughes

I read somewhere that Hughes is like Wes Johnson good, and will tear it up when he gets involved next year.

Clearly that’s incorrect?

Wes Johnson averaged like 12 and 7 in the Big 12 as a freshman...so I doubt it. And he was a 4th year junior by the time he played here.

Let’s remember, Gbinije averaged 3 points per game in his redshirt sophomore season at Cuse. This was a Duke recruit, who ended up being our best player as a senior.

Hughes might be a player. I’m looking at it like he’s a sophomore with potential, and hope to be pleasantly surprised if he’s more than that come next year.

That’s another mid tier team at best if that happens. The roster turnover has to stop at some point. If it doesn’t I don’t get why JB stuck around.
Disagree on it being a mid-tier team.

A senior Frank.
An improved Moyer and an even more improved PC.
A healthy Sidibe.
Eli.
A top 50 recruit who is a very good scorer in Carey - will he have more skill than Battle this year? No. But can he be an effective scorer at around 12ppg? Absolutely.
A top 10 recruit and seemingly stud in Bazley. Easy argument to make that he'll be better next year than Brissett was as a freshman.

I can't see how that team isn't better.

Disagree on it being a mid-tier team.

A senior Frank.
An improved Moyer and an even more improved PC.
A healthy Sidibe.
Eli.
A top 50 recruit who is a very good scorer in Carey - will he have more skill than Battle this year? No. But can he be an effective scorer at around 12ppg? Absolutely.
A top 10 recruit and seemingly stud in Bazley. Easy argument to make that he'll be better next year than Brissett was as a freshman.

I can't see how that team isn't better.

I can. Still not enough shooting. Can’t win without making jump shots unless you think Moyer is suddenly going to find a junpshot over the summer. FTR Bazley can score, but he shot 28% from three in EYBL play.

The defense can’t get much better than it is this year. We’re already a top 15 defensive team.

Last edited:
Is Hughes even that good?
I mean, on paper, he's no better than Geno Thorpe - worse, in fact.

Before he takes the court in games, he is FANTASTIC. After he plays his first couple of games next year he'll be a stiff that we don't need.

Easy answer. HW and Buddy redshirt, nobody plays more than 35 minutes a game, and JB feels more comfortable with a 3 guard lineup having Battle, Frank, Carey and Hughes

I could be wrong, but I don't think you are able to RS (unless injured) after you play

if buddy is our best shooter we have major problems as a program.

Buddy was a top 3 shooter from 3 in EYBL. That is at the highest level. He is playing in an outstanding prep league right now. He's going to be much better than his brother at Cornell. Players want to play with Buddy. He is no Shakey Potatoes.

I can. Still not enough shooting. Can’t win without making jump shots unless you think Moyer is suddenly going to find a junpshot over the summer. FTR Bazley can score, but he shot 28% from three in EYBL play.

The defense can’t get much better than it is this year. We’re already a top 15 defensive team.
I think we will have a terrific team next year.The Forwards will have Bazley and OB. A soph OB. At guard we will have Carey, Howard and Hughes and I have heard nothing but great things about him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom