If Jerami Grant slips into the second round tonight... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

If Jerami Grant slips into the second round tonight...

I don't know how so many people can say he made a bad decision. Getting drafted may have been his only goal. Maybe he just didn't want college ball anymore. 2nd rounders make it in the NBA too. This isn't a death knell for him. Besides, mid 2nd round picks don't become lottery picks with 1 more year of college.

Congratulations, Jerami. You'll get your chance to live your dream playing professional bball, and to prove the all the naysayers wrong. Its happened before, it can happen again- they've been wrong before, they could be wrong again! At least you'll get a shot. Godspeed.

Getting drafted may have been his only goal.

Seriously? With a father and uncle who played in the league for MANY years, and being talked about as a potential lottery pick, you are saying maybe he just wanted to get drafted? Unbelievable.

I don't know how so many people can say he made a bad decision. Getting drafted may have been his only goal. Maybe he just didn't want college ball anymore. 2nd rounders make it in the NBA too. This isn't a death knell for him. Besides, mid 2nd round picks don't become lottery picks with 1 more year of college.

I feel exactly the same way. I don't think he moves up much at all if he stays. He is on a young team with a real shot to get minutes. Good for him.

Seriously? With a father and uncle who played in the league for MANY years, and being talked about as a potential lottery pick, you are saying maybe he just wanted to get drafted? Unbelievable.

Yeah, I'm with you. I can't imagine that was the goal.

Especially given some of the things we heard about why Jerami might have declared.

The problem with going to Philly is that they have so many picks. Several guys will get shuffled around to the DLeague or traded for scraps.

Grants got a serious uphill battle to make it in the league. Teams obviously picked up on our biggest fear, Grant has a 3s body, and a 4s game. Here's to hoping he overcomes the odds.

Now for C.J. To get picked!

Yeah, but the good thing is that they'll probably suck again and thus be willing and ready to give playing time to young guys. On many teams Grant would be D League bound. Maybe he still will in Philly...but it wouldn't shock me if he started some games for them, if they have a repeat of last year(which it seems like they're kind;ve going for)

I feel exactly the same way. I don't think he moves up much at all if he stays. He is on a young team with a real shot to get minutes. Good for him.

If he played for SU next year you could say exactly the same thing. He would have had all the minutes he could handle on a young team. And he would have been one of the focuses of that offense. NO WAY you can say the same thing about the Sixers.

Hey look, Beilein is there to support his early-entry guys...even the one who slips to the 2nd round.

You guys are really mad that Boeheim isn't there? Has he EVER been at the draft? Has Coach K? Was Knight? Calhoun?

Who cares? Beilein's gotta do what he's gotta do to keep his momentum going. Boeheim's already at the top level.

If he played for SU next year you could say exactly the same thing. He would have had all the minutes he could handle on a young team. And he would have been one of the focuses of that offense. NO WAY you can say the same thing about the Sixers.

Uh huh. We said that about CJ coming back too.

Uh huh. We said that about CJ coming back too.

Yeah, but I don't recall anyone at any time saying CJ might be a potential lottery pick.

But you make a fair point. Pun not intended, but I'll take the credit anyway.

He could have become undrafted as we'll.

He's an athlete. That's his role. Needs to get a 15-18 footer. Needs to work on man to man D. In JB's offense he won't be developing what he needs to work on for the league and he sure won't work on man to man D.

Who did?

I don't think that anybody forecasted CJ as a first round pick, under any circumstances. Let's be honest.

Who said "CJ should come back so he can be the focus of our offense"? Uhhhh EVERYONE? Want me to find the posts?

Who said "CJ should come back so he can be the focus of our offense"? Uhhhh EVERYONE? Want me to find the posts?

That's mostly because we had no other options on offense. NONE. Which was just sad.

He could have become undrafted as we'll.

He's an athlete. That's his role. Needs to get a 15-18 footer. Needs to work on man to man D. In JB's offense he won't be developing what he needs to work on for the league and he sure won't work on man to man D.

Once you get past the first round it really doesn't matter if you drafted or not, the damage is done, there is no guaranteed money.

Once you get past the first round it really doesn't matter if you drafted or not, the damage is done, there is no guaranteed money.

Same if you stay. Still no guaranteed money at SU. Just as easy to get picked apart, injured, regress, etc. JB's offense isn't exactly the Spurs offense. He made a fine choice.

Getting drafted was his only goal????? That's ridiculous.

Playing in the NBA is/was his goal. And/or making money. And it is A LOT easier to do both by getting drafted in the 1st round (guaranteed $) than it is for 2nd round picks.

Nobody ever said it's a death sentence. Those are your words. But staying one more year and waiting for a weaker draft, while also being given more freedom within the offense, gives him a much better opportunity to be drafted in the 1st. And not one person that knows basketball would say otherwise.

Uh... CJ was projected as a second round pick last year when he formally went through the NBA pre-draft assessment process. He didn't forego being a first round pick to come back to college--he came back to for the opportunity to improve his draft stock.

Unfortunately, despite the early team success, he shot poorly this year relative to last year. That's what impacted his status most of all. But it doesn't make it the "wrong" decision, it just didn't work out as everyone might have hoped--CJ most of all.

Again, let's be honest about the circumstances.

Same if you stay. Still no guaranteed money at SU. Just as easy to get picked apart, injured, regress, etc. JB's offense isn't exactly the Spurs offense. He made a fine choice.

I have a hard time believing that if he came back and improved next year that he wouldn't be a first round pick.

CuseFaninVT said:

Cherry pick? The point of a couple if examples is that we don't know why he went and nobody knows if it was a mistake.

You guys are really mad that Boeheim isn't there? Has he EVER been at the draft? Has Coach K? Was Knight? Calhoun?

Who cares? Beilein's gotta do what he's gotta do to keep his momentum going. Boeheim's already at the top level.

I don't care if he shows up at the draft, but there was no need for him to be so negative in the press about Ennis and Grant. He could have said that another year wouldn't hurt, that both had skills the NBA covets, etc. He came across as a guy who was bitter about their decision and the impact on SU, not their pro careers.

Uh... CJ was projected as a second round pick last year. He didn't forego being a first round pick to come back to college. He came back to improve his draft stock.

Unfortunately, despite the early team success, he shot poorly this year relative to last year. That's what impacted him most of all.

Again, let's be honest about the circumstances.

Correct...and it didn't help him. That's why i refuse to pile on Grant or Ennis and assume they would have been guaranteed lottery because "they'd get minutes"

Cherry pick? The point of a couple if examples is that we don't know why he went and nobody knows if it was a mistake.

Cherry pick? I quoted your words man. If you didn't mean it, don't say it. Otherwise be prepared to defend them.