If U Can't Handle the Truth Do Not Read This Post...... | Syracusefan.com

If U Can't Handle the Truth Do Not Read This Post......

newmexicuse

All Conference
This was my first look at this year's team.

Regretfully, I just do not see this team winning enough games to keep the streak alive. There is just not enough strength, size, or athleticism. How did we come to this roster ? I have seen several optimists post that this is an NIT team...let's hope that they are correct. It is sad to say, but Friday's consolation game is an absolute must win.

A lot of posters were all over Buddy and Joey for hitting a combined 2 for 14 from deep. However, Hughes hit 5 of 10, so the composite three point shooting was 7 of 24 from our core group. Just two more made threes (would not have won the game), but would have gotten us to 9 of 24 or 37.5%. So my point is that because Elijah was so hot the composite was not that much worse than what we can probably expect going forward, that is part of what is so troublesome.

Elijah - The good news is that he was fantastic. The game got away when he had to go to the bench with three fouls. The bad news is that we cannot reasonably expect that much production from him going forward. His game looks much better than it did last year. We probably have zero chance to win a game against any half way decent team if he has a bad off night.

Girard - Joe had a rough start during their 11 - 0 run, but settled down after that. He can handle the rock, he can see the floor, he can make enough space often enough to get his share of shots. Yeah, he had an off night shooting threes, but everything else looked A OK to me. He is much better than I had been expecting. How he managed to get 9 assists, when the team shoots 33% so whoever he is throwing the ball to can't finish, is amazing. Really looking forward to four years of his play.

Buddy - He has a limited overall game. He does, of course, have great shooting form and as a coaches son he knows the game. Pure and simple, when he is hitting his shots he belongs out there, when they aren't falling he really doesn't bring that much else to the table. Problem is, there is really nobody on the bench ready to bring more to the table than does Buddy even when his shot is off.

Sid - well, firstly, it is really nice to see him be able to play in apparent good health. Yes, he does battle and get his share of boards, but that is about it. he can't block shots, he collects fouls, and he can't score other than on a dunk. Worse yet, he doesn't have great hands catching the ball so the fumbling leads to missed dunk opportunities and to TOs.

Marek - I am so sick and tired of hearing about all the wonderful little things that he does. Those things are needed, they are great, BUT they are very, very insufficient if there is an absence of points and rebounds. He looks like he is trying to be more aggressive than he was last year. Big problem is that he can't finish thru contact and then he can't make em pay at the FT line for fouling him. How does he manage to not out rebound Girard ????

Guerrier - He is a bit raw, but I really like his energy. Compared to the rest of this team he is our Arnold Schwartenegger. SOMEBODY has to do some pushing back, and if not Q, then who ???? He needs to be out there for as many minutes as his fouls allow.

The rest of the bench are just more skinny guys. I thought Brycen showed some poise with the ball. With just a little bit of improvement he should make an adequate third guard this season with nice future potential. Bras has to get down and dirty and be willing to mix it up if he is to have a future here. Edwards, didn't see nearly enough of him to form an opinion. If he can block some shots with his length, maybe he can find a bigger role this season. It was great to see Howard on the court, but he just really isn't a D1 talent.

As for Jimmy, it appears to be same old, same old. Love him or hate em he is who he is. There has been a lot of criticism of his coaching style and stubbornness, but to me, the biggest problem right now is the recruiting philosophy. This team badly needs some enforcers and guys willing to give up their bodies. Nobody even tried to step in front of that OSU guard who just went through two, three, or four of our guys at a time with nobody even getting in front of him enough to pick up a blocking foul. How we manage to have two starters out there (Sid and Marek) that lack a lot of basic skills, but also lack toughness and size is beyond me. Sad to say, but I think our toughest player is Girard.

Anyways, i really, really hope this team exceeds my expectations and makes me eat crow on much of this post, but then again, we have to try and handle the truth.

This was my first look at this year's team.

Sid - well, firstly, it is really nice to see him be able to play in apparent good health. Yes, he does battle and get his share of boards, but that is about it. he can't block shots, he collects fouls, and he can't score other than on a dunk. Worse yet, he doesn't have great hands catching the ball so the fumbling leads to missed dunk opportunities and to TOs.

Guerrier - He is a bit raw, but I really like his energy. Compared to the rest of this team he is our Arnold Schwartenegger. SOMEBODY has to do some pushing back, and if not Q, then who ???? He needs to be out there for as many minutes as his fouls allow.

Not going into all of your post, but just have a quibble with the Sid writeup. Not sure which fumble you saw from him, but the one I saw was a super fantastic pass to his shin that I think got tipped as well. Put the ball where the big man wants it, not where you think you might be able to squeeze a super dime through. He put his hands up high when he sealed his man, Marek (I think) hit him in the hands going toward the basket, and he dunked the ball like the old days. That was a good play. Why can't our guards figure out how to make the correct entry pass to a big?

I agree with your comments about QG. He's going to be fun.

Hot take thread title, Luke warm post.
To me he is spot on. He didn’t go over the top and annihilate the team. His criticisms were accurate. The problem with this program over the last 6 or 7 years is we can’t seem to land quality big guys any more for whatever reason. They are skinny,weak and have no ability to get us easy baskets. None of them have been good rebounders...I can’t believe we have won as many games as we have. As much as I love the three guys on the bench with Boeheim for the people they are and what they have done here as players, they just haven’t been able to get the quality of player to come here that Rob Murphy and Mike Hopkins have.

I’m sad about Syracuse sports in general right now. I don’t envy John Wildhack’s position as he looks at his dept. overall.

A little different take here...
My first time seeing the team and probably the only game I'll see in person.
The thing that surprised me was how weak the defense looked and how many breaks they gave up.
But...despite the debacle of a result there were a few bright spots:

1. Elijah Hughes was the best player on the floor. OSU's Isaac Likekele is very good and -a-s-t. But Hughes is the kind of big time talented player we've come to expect.

2. This team is aggressive on offense. They move the ball and attack. They didn't finish very often...but this style is something we haven't seen in a while. Much better than the stand around and then hoist up a shot we'd been criticizing.

3. Quincy Gurriere is really athletic and has talent. Impressive ability but he lacks experience at this level. He may develop during the season and become a much bigger part of the team. We can only hope.

4. This game got out of hand for two reasons: because the Orange gave up some big 3's at crucial times. Two as the clock expired in the first half...one at the halftime buzzer. And because two of the Orange key shooters were awful...including missing wide open shots. One bad game? An omen? Or is it just attributable to the jinx I bring when I go to a game?

5. Marek is still a bad foul shooter and not a good finisher. But he's trying to be aggressive. And HE DOES DO A LOT. There was a minute or two right after Hughes' 4-point play that Marek really showed his stuff. He cut off the baseline on attempted drives, dove for a loose ball and tipped a pass for a steal. He's never going to be a bruiser. But the Orange need him.

I'm choosing to keep hope alive...at least until Friday.

i am trying to wrap my head around how Ok st scored around 90 yet really did a terrible job on offense all night.. but if you shoot 30 fts make some 3s, get out on a 1 man fast break multiple times and pound the boards you can create some pts.

2 more 3's it doesnt win the game. but if you make them with about 10 to go when we were making the big run its a 4-5 pt game not a 10 pt game.. as many mistakes as we made we still had the game in a spot to compete. but we lack the physical big guy. some how our bigs got in foul trouble with OK st jumping over us all night.

the upside is we scored in the 70s missed a bunch of FTs shot just avg from 3 and fell down driving to the basket about 5 times against a pretty decent sized physical team.. much better than the effort vs Virg.

A little different take here...
My first time seeing the team and probably the only game I'll see in person.
The thing that surprised me was how weak the defense looked and how many breaks they gave up.
But...despite the debacle of a result there were a few bright spots:

1. Elijah Hughes was the best player on the floor. OSU's Isaac Likekele is very good and -a-s-t. But Hughes is the kind of big time talented player we've come to expect.

2. This team is aggressive on offense. They move the ball and attack. They didn't finish very often...but this style is something we haven't seen in a while. Much better than the stand around and then hoist up a shot we'd been criticizing.

3. Quincy Gurriere is really athletic and has talent. Impressive ability but he lacks experience at this level. He may develop during the season and become a much bigger part of the team. We can only hope.

4. This game got out of hand for two reasons: because the Orange gave up some big 3's at crucial times. Two as the clock expired in the first half...one at the halftime buzzer. And because two of the Orange key shooters were awful...including missing wide open shots. One bad game? An omen? Or is it just attributable to the jinx I bring when I go to a game?

5. Marek is still a bad foul shooter and not a good finisher. But he's trying to be aggressive. And HE DOES DO A LOT. There was a minute or two right after Hughes' 4-point play that Marek really showed his stuff. He cut off the baseline on attempted drives, dove for a loose ball and tipped a pass for a steal. He's never going to be a bruiser. But the Orange need him.

I'm choosing to keep hope alive...at least until Friday.
We got hit in the mouth, punched back, and then lost our mojo when the whistles got involved. The effort changed after that.

That's going to happen when your leader can't be out on the floor and young guys aren't sure how to handle it. Credit to OSU, when we had a weak lineup out there they took advantage.

I'm not as doom and gloom as others. We had a bad game. Lots of season left, and with a young backcourt we're going to get inconsistent efforts. Sucks when both Girard and Buddy are off at the same time. OSU did a good job making Buddy uncomfortable. He rushed his clean looks too.

Ok, help to make it hot.

My bottom line is that I do not even see this as an NIT team, that is the truth that few here yet accept.

giphy.gif

We got hit in the mouth, punched back, and then lost our mojo when the whistles got involved. The effort changed after that.

That's going to happen when your leader can't be out on the floor and young guys aren't sure how to handle it. Credit to OSU, when we had a weak lineup out there they took advantage.

I'm not as doom and gloom as others. We had a bad game. Lots of season left, and with a young backcourt we're going to get inconsistent efforts. Sucks when both Girard and Buddy are off at the same time. OSU did a good job making Buddy uncomfortable. He rushed his clean looks too.
I said this dozens of times last night but ok state is bad. And really bad in the half court and they scored around 90 because we let them get in transition- by terrible turn overs, bad shots, or simply missing shots.

It was brutal to watch. Because it was so obvious.

This team is not physical enough...Look at the successful SU teams and who they had at Center .. Beat on Boards easily...PSU beat Georgetown easily. I don't see a different scenario .. Buddy changed my mind on him last night..

We have had these post around this time of year for about 5 years running... and we never hit rock bottom. We just hit this mediocre place that is the bubble line.

One of these years we are going to crash and fall below .500. But after a loss we always feel worse. If I had to bet lower than .500 or the bubble line... I bet the bubble line because that is what we have proven to be.

To me he is spot on. He didn’t go over the top and annihilate the team. His criticisms were accurate. The problem with this program over the last 6 or 7 years is WE CAN’T SEEM TO LAND QUALITY BIG GUYS ANY MORE FOR WHATEVER REASON. THEY ARE SKINNY, WEAK AND HAVE NO ABILITY TO GET US EASY BASKETS. NONE OF THEM HAVE BEEN GOOD REBOUNDERS...Ican’t believe we have won as many games as we have. As much as I love the three guys on the bench with Boeheim for the people they are and what they have done here as players, they just haven’t been able to get the quality of player to come here that Rob Murphy and Mike Hopkins have.

I’m sad about Syracuse sports in general right now. I don’t envy John Wildhack’s position as he looks at his dept. overall.
In a nutshell^^^
Is it the zone philosophy that has us looking only at tall, skinny guys instead of the “Beef Brothers”-types like Onuaku and Jackson?
How can it be that we no longer land muscle in our front court and are forced to go with the Mareks, Sidibes, Chukwus, and Braswells of the world- all lengthy and skinny guys to cover the zone, but can’t bang a lick! QG alone, just like Oshae, is not gonna be enough in our league, let alone the bigger teams we’ll face OOC. We’ve become so unathletic in spots, and like a virus it continues to grow...year by year.

Last edited:
QG reminds me of Brissett a bit, in that neither guy seems explosive, in a "quick twitch" way. Both seem like "slow jumpers", if that makes sense.

I'm still wrapping my head around him - he seems to have the tools, but then occasionally a bunch of people will be going up for a board, and I can't even tell if he jumped high enough to grab the net. Maybe he doesn't elevate well when he's not on the move? I don't know...I haven't seen enough to make a call, but I get the same impression.

The whole program has become "wait til next year." Wait til new recruits come in, wait til the freshman mature, wait til we're not so young, wait til the sanctions wear off, wait til we're stronger, wait til Hop comes back, wait til we push the ball, wait til JB changes his style, wait til wait til. Just a long list of excuses. Get better now, adjust to how the game is played now, stop relying on what you were in the past or go home is what the AD should be telling JB. And you know why? When fans stop coming and the Dome is a morgue and the dollars stop flowing, who's fault is it going to be?

I think there is another question to ask here. Do we need as a program to really hit bottom so that change becomes closer to a requirement vs a fan rumbling? We have managed to do enough to make the tourney and win some games despite being a shell of what we were before hop left. With that has sustained the ability for the next year mentality and holding onto that hope we will return to meeting expectations. Until this thing falls flat on it's face, like Carolina before Roy I have to wonder if there is enough to really wake everyone up including JW and JB. It's almost as if the best thing that could happen would be to hit that bottom and hopefully give guys like JG3 the opportunity to be part of the rebound...

In a nutshell^^^
Is it the zone philosophy that has us looking only at tall, skinny guys instead of the “Beef Brothers”-types like Onuaku and Jackson?
How can it be that we no longer land muscle in our front court and are forced to go with the Mareks, Sidibes, Chukwus, and Braswells of the world- all lengthy and skinny guys to cover the zone, but can’t bang a lick! QG alone, just like Oshae, is not gonna be enough in our league, let alone the bigger teams we’ll face OOC. We’ve become so unathletic in spots, and like a virus it continues to grow...year by year.
Why did we ever change philosophy ? Seems to me we were top five with those guys and probably would have had a title or at least a title appearance except for injury.

Agree with most of the assessments, but not with the focus. Ripping the kids, for problems that have persisted beyond their time with us is like criticizing the troops when the problem is with leadership and intel.

JW has a lot on his plate. He will be hiring a new BB coach in 2 years with a program that has been in deep decline. And, he may be looking for a new football coach as early as next year if the FB team repeats this year. His background is TV but does it translate to hiring coaches at the revenue sports? Does he have the contacts, wherewithal, knowledge and ability to hire coaches?

JW has a lot on his plate. He will be hiring a new BB coach in 2 years with a program that has been in deep decline. And, he may be looking for a new football coach as early as next year if the FB team repeats this year. His background is TV but does it translate to hiring coaches at the revenue sports? Does he have the contacts, wherewithal, knowledge and ability to hire coaches?

Yes he does and he won’t be hiring a new football coach. Hell, are we going to have to drag JBs dead body off the court to get him to retire even after Buddy leaves? Probably

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom