Inside WR info?? | Syracusefan.com

Inside WR info??

OrangeMuskyFish

Starter
OK, so I know we don't have a pay side, but I was hoping those in the know might be able to give us the down low on what is going on with the WR position.

I am actually very intrigued to see what this unit can do next year. I am not the biggest Sales fan, but if he is indeed back he should at the very least match the disappointing production that Chew has put up this year. Any new information here? Also, what do people make of Van's underwhelming year?

What has gotten into Alec Lemon? While I would have loved to see him haul in that ball in the endzone against USF, can't deny that he seems to be really coming into his own. Is that by design, or just comfort level with Ryan?

What is going on with the reserves? Kobena is going to be fun to watch, but he looks like he could develop into the offensive version of Phil Thomas. Flemming has completely disappeared this year. West looks solid, but I can't believe that the coaches felt comfortable enough sending a called play Foster's way in a huge spot against Rutgers, but not confident enough to give him anything else the rest of the year. Maybe I have missed something, but hasn't Kyle only played specials since? Has Hale opened eyes at practice?

Thanks for any insights!

my two cents is the staff really doesnt know what they have. Flemming is a talent must be in the DM dog house. Foster has been a complete waste in my opinion cant believe these two have no touches. Hale is waiting till next year. Kobena runs like a deer but im not sure he has any football sense. In short i think we may have a lack of coaching. Sure Moore was a great player. Doesnt make him a great coach and Doug seems to place little emphasis on gamers vs practice stars. The WR position has been a major let down this year. Actually so has the entire O so who the hell knows

Chew has been banged up.

Foster has not played since his "lower body injury". No action against UConn or USF.

Flemming has been a question mark. Plays on specials, but if he's struggling there, he'll never get worked into the game plan.

The staff LOVES Hale.

Chew has been banged up.

Foster has not played since his "lower body injury". No action against UConn or USF.

Flemming has been a question mark. Plays on specials, but if he's struggling there, he'll never get worked into the game plan.

The staff LOVES Hale.
i thought foster was playing on specials

Chew has been banged up.

The staff LOVES Hale.

Thanks for the quick hitter X. It's sad, and I guess a bit suspected, but it seems like Van Chew's career basically comes down to the five or six games he had before getting banged up as a junior.

I was not overly impressed by Flemming last year, but he was obviously raw. So can't say I am surprised given the fact West, Foster and Kobena have been added in such gradual doses... even Graham seemed to have to go through a waiting period this year.

REALLY glad to hear that about Hale... I have a feeling that he and Cornelius are going to compliment each other greatly, and if Kobena can offer a slot receiver and West can be that big redzone target... WATCH OUT... especially with our incoming TEs and HOPEFULLY a QB that is allowed to keep defenses honest with his legs.

What has gotten into Alec Lemon? While I would have loved to see him haul in that ball in the endzone against USF, can't deny that he seems to be really coming into his own. Is that by design, or just comfort level with Ryan?

I was talking to Matt Park about this (I TA for his sports announcing class ). He pointed out that all of Lemon's big plays come on the same slant route. Therefore, it's all by design.

You completely undervalue Sales. He is the ONLY one even close to being a game breaker.

Sales is more a mid-range receiver; not a classic deep threat if that is what you mean as game breaker. But he and an improved Lemon should be a slight upgrade over this season. We definitely need a third WR to emerge. If that is Hale or Cornelius, fine.

You completely undervalue Sales. He is the ONLY one even close to being a game breaker.
yes, because he had all of one big game against a horrible K St defense last year. Those big plays were on play action where the DBs bit on the run and he was running free behind the defense and Ryan made some good catchable deep throws.

I think you completely overvalue Sales until I see him put up big numbers in more than just one game.

a game breaker? I haven't seen it - we're not talking Mike Williams here.

I see Sales as a little quicker version of Lemon (15 rock). SU needs a wr that can get behind people to make this offense work the way Marrone wants it to work.

Nope. You are conveniently forgetting that he made increasing numbers of game changing catches from the moment he got out of Marrone's dog house onward last season. If you'll recall, everybody was second-guessing Marrone.

Is Sales still working out and will he be in football shape after not practicing for a full year? Red shirt kids practice and I'm hoping if all goes well for the young man he has been taking care of business (school first) and has been getting ready for football in 12. I've always liked what I saw from him, he seems to find zones to be open and would be a very nice asset to have on the team and would basically be taking Chew's place.

Nope. You are conveniently forgetting that he made increasing numbers of game changing catches from the moment he got out of Marrone's dog house onward last season. If you'll recall, everybody was second-guessing Marrone.
hahahaha - the last three games of 2010:

Rutgers 5/73 yds/0 tds
UConn 6/57 yds/ 0 tds
BC 5/73 yds/ 0 tds

which of those receptions were the game changers exactly? Syracuse scored a total of 26 points over those 3 games - quite the game changing / game breaking wideout - SU exploded when he got out of the doghouse

basically he got Lemon's catches while Lemon was hurt

Moore was a pretty well respected WR coach long before he came here. Not sure why people expected FR who clearly lacked WR skills to become impact players in one year. Look how far Graham has come just this year. West was hurt all last year. not sure you can say all of Lemons best plays have come on slants. His last TD vs USF was not a slant. the one he dropped was not a slant, he runs slants on press coverage but so dont most people. His TD that won the early game was not a slant either.

I sometimes miss when guys are on the field who aren't ultimately part of the play, but..

I hadn't seen Foster at WR since the Rutgers TD drop, although he kept playing on specials until he was hurt a couple games later.

I haven't seen Kobena on the field at WR since his 2 productive catches against WVU.

I'm sure there's a reason for everything, but I sometimes don't get working a young guy in and then not anymore.

Moore was a pretty well respected WR coach long before he came here.

not sure you can say all of Lemons best plays have come on slants. His last TD vs USF was not a slant. the one he dropped was not a slant, he runs slants on press coverage but so dont most people. His TD that won the early game was not a slant either.

Moore has worked as a trainer with WR, but his only coaching gigs were at a High School for two years and a JUCO for one year.

And obviously not all of Lemon's TD runs have been on slants. But when I think Alec Lemon, I think of him running across the middle of the field.

Rutgers 5/73 yds/0 tds
UConn 6/57 yds/ 0 tds
BC 5/73 yds/ 0 tds

which of those receptions were the game changers exactly? Syracuse scored a total of 26 points over those 3 games - quite the game changing / game breaking wideout - SU exploded when he got out of the doghouse

Wrongooooo... Look at the game films. Some of those catches kept scoring drives alive. You're getting nowhere fast.

Rutgers 5/73 yds/0 tds
UConn 6/57 yds/ 0 tds
BC 5/73 yds/ 0 tds

He had a big TD catch against USF ... the Rutgers game he had two big catches to keep drives alive late allowing SU to kick a game winning FG ... you could definitely see him starting to emerge after that USF game ... shame he threw a year away.

against USF he had one catch for a 3 yard TD - pretty similar to what Acchione did this season - doesn't make Acchione a game breaking WR (or does it? free Acchione!)

and some of his pedestrian stats kept scoring drives alive in games that SU barely scored and really had no offense even with Delone Carter running the ball - whoop de damn do - seems pretty similar to the other WRs on the roster

Maybe I just have a different definition of what a game breaking wide receiver does - but apparently being a solid possession receiver in a couple of games (unless your name is Alec Lemon) is what does it for some of you.

Maybe I just have a different definition of what a game breaking wide receiver does - but apparently being a solid possession receiver in a couple of games (unless your name is Alec Lemon) is what does it for some of you.[/quote]

Re-read my post. Sales is as close to being a game breaker as SU has. There isn't anyone else as talented at this point in time.

against USF he had one catch for a 3 yard TD - pretty similar to what Acchione did this season - doesn't make Acchione a game breaking WR (or does it? free Acchione!)

and some of his pedestrian stats kept scoring drives alive in games that SU barely scored and really had no offense even with Delone Carter running the ball - whoop de damn do - seems pretty similar to the other WRs on the roster

Maybe I just have a different definition of what a game breaking wide receiver does - but apparently being a solid possession receiver in a couple of games (unless your name is Alec Lemon) is what does it for some of you.

who had one catch for 3 yd td vs USF?

Sales made some huge plays last year when we needed them, he is Nassib's go to guy when he is in the game, if I cared enough to go back, I bet when Sales played he had more balls thrown to him than any other receiver. Nassib always knew where he was especially when he needed a play. In addition, Lemon was hurt last year as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom