Is Bell Injured? | Syracusefan.com

Is Bell Injured?

dlegend44

Scout Team
Sorry if this has been covered, but I can't find any information on Bell's status. Back to back DNP was surprising and the few glimpses of him on the bench appeared as if he had no intention of playing. Is there an injury or is just JB's doghouse? If this is just coach's decision then Bell is in the portal.

Sorry if this has been covered, but I can't find any information on Bell's status. Back to back DNP was surprising and the few glimpses of him on the bench appeared as if he had no intention of playing. Is there an injury or is just JB's doghouse? If this is just coach's decision then Bell is in the portal.
Coach’s decision per Coach Jim Boeheim

The problem with Bell is he can only do 1 thing on the basketball court, and that’s shoot corner 3s. He’s an awful defender, an awful rebounder, and cannot put the ball on the floor. So when his corner 3 isn’t dropping he’s unplayable.

He injured his thumb on his shooting hand. I think it happened in the second half of the Clemson game. He hit his hand on the rim going for a blocked shot on a fast break. He has had a wrap on his thumb/wrist the last two games. He was shooting well in warm-ups last night but maybe it is impacting his ability to squeeze the ball when rebounding ;)

The way these games are going, I feel like some of our guys playing are unplayable right now

The Duke stomping pretty much ended all hope the team had for a postseason and a general realization set in that the zone is failing - completely.

I think we have a lot of players counting down the days until the season is over and/or the portal opens at this point...

Don't understand why situations like this have to be a mystery.
Not fun for fans left to speculate the reason for big lineup changes.
-Well, maybe fun for some fans!

The problem with Bell is he can only do 1 thing on the basketball court, and that’s shoot corner 3s. He’s an awful defender, an awful rebounder, and cannot put the ball on the floor. So when his corner 3 isn’t dropping he’s unplayable.
He's not very good at shooting corner 3s.

1677681313559.png

According to Boehiem's presser, he is perfectly healthy. He said he was going to start this game until he had six possessions in a row in practice where he did "literally nothing." So he went from going to start to a DNP based on six possessions in practice.

Pick your poison because he and Taylor don't do much of anything. It's a toss up who should get the minutes so split them.

In the two games Taylor has started he's played 35 minutes. He's 1-4 with 2 points and 3 rebounds. No steals or blocks.

Going back to the UNC game - which is when the wheels started to come off.

Bell 164 minutes (excludes GT/Pitt - 8 games)
17-50
49 points
19 rebounds
4 assists
2 blocks
0 steals
4 turnovers

Taylor 164 minutes (includes GT/PITT - 10 games)
11-33
30 points
15 rebounds
3 assists
2 blocks
3 steals
3 turnovers

They are nearly identical statistically. Both should play and probably play equally and stick with the hot hand. If Bell is healthy he should be playing to close out the season. Both of these kids are freshman, both have talent and both need to be coached up for the college game.

Maybe the answer is Benny at the 3 and Brown at the 4 but there are really no good options because Benny doesn't play any defense. The team is rolling with 4 and 5 freshman playing key minutes.

Pick your poison because he and Taylor don't do much of anything. It's a toss up who should get the minutes so split them.

In the two games Taylor has started he's played 35 minutes. He's 1-4 with 2 points and 3 rebounds. No steals or blocks.

17-50
49 points
19 rebounds
4 assists
2 blocks
0 steals
4 turnovers

11-33
30 points
15 rebounds
3 assists
2 blocks
3 steals
3 turnovers

They are nearly identical statistically. Both should play and probably play equally and stick with the hot hand. If Bell is healthy he should be playing to close out the season. Both of these kids are freshman, both have talent and both need to be coached up for the college game.

Maybe the answer is Benny at the 3 and Brown at the 4 but there are really no good options because Benny doesn't play any defense. The team is rolling with 4 and 5 freshman playing key minutes.
Boehiem also admitted in the presser that both Bell and Taylor are more 2's than 3's and that they get overpowered on the boards/down low even when they are in the right positions. Perhaps you are on to something with Benny and Maliq, but that would make us very limited offensively - although Benny has been starting to come around as a shooter, so maybe not?? At this point why not give that option some serious run and see what happens.

He injured his thumb on his shooting hand. I think it happened in the second half of the Clemson game. He hit his hand on the rim going for a blocked shot on a fast break. He has had a wrap on his thumb/wrist the last two games. He was shooting well in warm-ups last night but maybe it is impacting his ability to squeeze the ball when rebounding ;)
He can still chuck it though

During the Pitt game when they zoomed in on JB, Bell’s hand was shown and it appeared to be almost some sort of soft cast. It was noticeably thicker than your typical “sports wrap” for a sprain or dislocated finger.

17-50
49 points
19 rebounds
4 assists
2 blocks
0 steals
4 turnovers

11-33
30 points
15 rebounds
3 assists
2 blocks
3 steals
3 turnovers

I think the answer is...

lkdqQA.gif

17-50
49 points
19 rebounds
4 assists
2 blocks
0 steals
4 turnovers

11-33
30 points
15 rebounds
3 assists
2 blocks
3 steals
3 turnovers

As much criticism Bell has received from the old HC and some fans, he's been more productive and impactful than Taylor. Taylor seems like too much of a tweener, not athletic or skilled enough for SG and not big or athletic enough to be successful as a F here. I don't really know what his ceiling is, but I don't think it's super high.

As much criticism Bell has received from the old HC and some fans, he's been more productive and impactful than Taylor. Taylor seems like too much of a tweener, not athletic or skilled enough for SG and not big or athletic enough to be successful as a F here. I don't really know what his ceiling is, but I don't think it's super high.

Agreed.

Boehiem also admitted in the presser that both Bell and Taylor are more 2's than 3's and that they get overpowered on the boards/down low even when they are in the right positions. Perhaps you are on to something with Benny and Maliq, but that would make us very limited offensively - although Benny has been starting to come around as a shooter, so maybe not?? At this point why not give that option some serious run and see what happens.

I've seen a number of times where Bell has inside position (or good position) and he still gets out rebounded. Some of it he is boxing out and gets straight up overpowered, some of it is not boxing out and just trying to jump and then some of it is good position and the bigger stronger player just gets the ball anyways. I've also seen him go to box out, initially feel where his man is and then not stay with the box out as the guy behind him just curls around. To my eyes, he's engaged and trying to do the right thing but it's just not happening because he's a young pup learning to make the jump from HS to ACC.

The first half of the season he just watched. The 2nd half has been a more concerted effort.

Last edited:
I've seen a number of times where Bell has inside position (or good position) and he still gets out rebounded. Some of it he is boxing out and gets straight up overpowered, some of it is not boxing out and just trying to jump and then some of it is good position and the bigger stronger player just gets the ball anyways. I've also seen him go to box out, initially feel where his man is and then not stay with the box out as the guy behind him just curls around. To my eyes, he's engaged and trying to do the right thing but it's just not happening because he's a young pup learning to make the jump from HS to ACC.

The first half of the season he just watched. The 2nd half has been a more concerted effort.
Nobody on the team boxes out. If Jesse and Benny can't out jump the opponent we don't get it.

Bell is in the JB doghouse because he hasn't performed well in practice in coach's view.
Perhaps the team has checked out because they think Bell is being treated unfairly??

Bell is in the JB doghouse because he hasn't performed well in practice in coach's view.
Perhaps the team has checked out because they think Bell is being treated unfairly??
If "the team" thinks that, they can all leave too. Bell has had the longest lease on a frosh I've seen in YEARS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom