Is Red our next HC | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Is Red our next HC

He was pretty darned important in New Orleans.
His first performance in the NC game was legendary and awesome. Where would you rank GMac player ranking in the JB Era?
I know the guy probably has the most buzzer beaters for us but he isn't synonymous with Syracuse basketball in the top 5 IMO.
Pearl, Carmelo, Sherm, Coleman, Owens right off the bat.
John Wallace would be ahead IMO as well. That UK 96 team was stacked and we went head to head because of Wallace.

His first performance in the NC game was legendary and awesome. Where would you rank GMac player ranking in the JB Era?
I know the guy probably has the most buzzer beaters for us but he isn't synonymous with Syracuse basketball in the top 5 IMO.
John Wallace would be ahead IMO as well. That UK 96 team was stacked and we went head to head because of Wallace.

Personally I save player ranking for others. Gerry played a massive role with SU winning it all, all I really care about.

I don't think he's HC material, but he's young. Who knows.

I'm with you, the McNamara thing has always confused me. He had a string of made jumpers in a national championship game. OK, so did Kueth Duany.

I get it, the guy's a champion, one of the three most recognizable guys on that team, and no doubt should be remembered fondly by everyone. He's a good player who got a ton of minutes, there are a lot of SU players like that. The championship should give him a bump, sure. But a lot of SU fans seem to place him alongside Bing, Boeheim, and Willis Carrier. It's just weird.

I'm with you, the McNamara thing has always confused me. He had a string of made jumpers in a national championship game. OK, so did Kueth Duany.

I get it, the guy's a champion, one of the three most recognizable guys on that team, and no doubt should be remembered fondly by everyone. He's a good player who got a ton of minutes, there are a lot of SU players like that. The championship should give him a bump, sure. But a lot of SU fans seem to place him alongside Bing, Boeheim, and Willis Carrier. It's just weird.
I mean McNamara was 10% better than Red Autry.
Gerry stats
Gerry McNamara
Red stats
Adrian Autry

The NC puts Gerry above him but the gap isn't huge.
No way Gerry is close to the top 5. I may put him 9th or 10th. I would have to look real hard.

You should listen harder. He said he would play multiple defenses. Hence, the "not predictable" descriptor by Hop.

I think he dodged the question.

He certainly did not say he was going to be All Zone.

Let's see what he does in Year 1, Year 2, ...

Immutable Laws:

The more things you try to do, offensively and defensively. the less well you do any of them individually.

Every practice hour you spend teaching "A' is not available for teaching "B". There is a finite number of practice hours. It's a Zero Sum game.

Immutable Laws:

The more things you try to do, offensively and defensively. the less well you do any of them individually.

Every practice hour you spend teaching "A' is not available for teaching "B". There is a finite number of practice hours. It's a Zero Sum game.

Better let Coach K and Pitino know. They switch defenses too.

The sets on offense and defense are JB's, the plays we run are JB's, the players are the guys JB had final signoff on.

Mike had control of the timeouts and sub patterns to a point.

The shame of this whole thing is we lose a Syracuse guy who spent a decade preparing for the job to a guy, whoever it is, spending 72 hours negotiating a contract.

There's a large number of posters who believe that when Boeheim leaves, this will finally free SU and Wildhack to hire an up and coming genius, who has been a head coach somewhere else and has been extremely successful. He will be the hottest of the hottest properties and will come to SU to revitalize the program from its current mediocrity.

This new coach will play the most exciting basketball ever including "run and gun" and pressure defense all over the court. But he'll will be able to switch defenses to thwart any offense that starts to do anything well. He will know every AAU coach and high school coach in the country and will be the Godfather to no less than 20 of their children.

Recruiting will explode and "One and Dones" will be a thing of the past because the players won't be able to tear themselves away from SU and the program. (Or our new swami will be able to find players who are great college players but just a hair away from being NBA First Rounders)

He will dazzle the Press and the TV people with personality and graciousness.

The problems with this are:

That when JB does retire, there will be only a certain number of coaches "in Play". Many of those we might like to have will want to stay in their current jobs. (Ask Georgetown who was waving $4M around.)

And, most importantly, this "Fantasy" coach doesn't exist.

The really good coaches are already working at top schools and aren't interested in leaving. And the one's that will come to SU have some weak spots in their resumes.

SU will get someone for whom the job is a step up. It'll be a learning experience.

And 15 minutes after he's hired, those who whined about JB will be whining about this guy.

They have better players

Better players or better recruits?

Because Pitino rarely has better recruits than Boeheim. And if they manage to become better players...

Better players or better recruits?

Because Pitino rarely has better recruits than Boeheim. And if they manage to become better players...

Just so we are clear here. You are suggesting that Pitino is better at developing players than Boeheim. Right?

(More of the mystery SU fans (?) They say they are fans, but there's little about the coach or style of play or the facilities they like.)

The sets on offense and defense are JB's, the plays we run are JB's, the players are the guys JB had final signoff on.

Mike had control of the timeouts and sub patterns to a point.

The shame of this whole thing is we lose a Syracuse guy who spent a decade preparing for the job to a guy, whoever it is, spending 72 hours negotiating a contract.

1. He should know JB's system inside and out. He was JB's right hand man for how long? Sure he shouldn't be as good as JB but he shouldn't be foreign to what we are trying to do.

2. If his philosophy is so much different then JB's why was he an assistant at SU for so long? How the heck can become better at your craft if you are never practicing your craft. From a developmental standpoint it makes no sense to stick around. Sure once he was HCIW it makes sense but that was after 20 years on the SU bench.

1. He should know JB's system inside and out. He was JB's right hand man for how long? Sure he shouldn't be as good as JB but he shouldn't be foreign to what we are trying to do.

2. If his philosophy is so much different then JB's why was he an assistant at SU for so long? How the heck can become better at your craft if you are never practicing your craft. From a developmental standpoint it makes no sense to stick around. Sure once he was HCIW it makes sense but that was after 20 years on the SU bench.

You answered the question, he was doing JB stuff, not Mike Hopkins in his own program stuff.

Mike coached under K for what, 2 or 3 Olympics? We would've seen a lot of Duke type ball here, and that's not a hypothetical. Unfortunately we'll likely never know.

Just so we are clear here. You are suggesting that Pitino is better at developing players than Boeheim. Right?

(More of the mystery SU fans (?) They say they are fans, but there's little about the coach or style of play or the facilities they like.)

I am suggesting that. And your thoughts on the topic (rather than on fellow posters)?

Also, your contention that Pitino has "better players" than Boeheim - care to flesh that out a little bit?

You answered the question, he was doing JB stuff, not Mike Hopkins in his own program stuff.

Mike coached under K for what, 2 or 3 Olympics? We would've seen a lot of Duke type ball here, and that's not a hypothetical. Unfortunately we'll likely never know.
It's so dang depressing

If you think that Pitino- a top two coach in the game right now- is better at developing players then JB, then you don't like JB or are not a real fan.

If you think that Pitino- a top two coach in the game right now- is better at developing players then JB, then you don't like JB or are not a real fan.

Personally I think he is better at developing players. Rarely is his recruiting better than Syracuse's in terms of the rankings. But they are dominant almost every season. He isn't putting as many first round draft picks and such into the league as Syracuse is but our guys are bolting the first chance they get. Staying in 100% zone must play into this, imo. Scouts and agents are in these kids' ears who are considering declaring for the draft constantly throwing in the Syracuse 100% zone/NBA translation issue. I think our guys who always leave after a year consider this and don't want to stay in this system. It's part of the reasons I'm convinced.

The development of Louisville guys going into their soph or second year in the system is pretty staggering. Rozier, Onuaku, Donovan Mitchell, Mahmoud, Montresz Harrell, Deng Adel, etc. All guys you have to guard and pay attention to. Good fundamentals too. Those two grad transfers blended in seamlessly two years ago when they banned themselves and were looking like a dominant team.

There's a large number of posters who believe that when Boeheim leaves, this will finally free SU and Wildhack to hire an up and coming genius, who has been a head coach somewhere else and has been extremely successful. He will be the hottest of the hottest properties and will come to SU to revitalize the program from its current mediocrity.

This new coach will play the most exciting basketball ever including "run and gun" and pressure defense all over the court. But he'll will be able to switch defenses to thwart any offense that starts to do anything well. He will know every AAU coach and high school coach in the country and will be the Godfather to no less than 20 of their children.

Recruiting will explode and "One and Dones" will be a thing of the past because the players won't be able to tear themselves away from SU and the program. (Or our new swami will be able to find players who are great college players but just a hair away from being NBA First Rounders)

He will dazzle the Press and the TV people with personality and graciousness.

The problems with this are:

That when JB does retire, there will be only a certain number of coaches "in Play". Many of those we might like to have will want to stay in their current jobs. (Ask Georgetown who was waving $4M around.)

And, most importantly, this "Fantasy" coach doesn't exist.

The really good coaches are already working at top schools and aren't interested in leaving. And the one's that will come to SU have some weak spots in their resumes.

SU will get someone for whom the job is a step up. It'll be a learning experience.

And 15 minutes after he's hired, those who whined about JB will be whining about this guy.

Yes, Gerry will be the next coach. :crazy:

Immutable Laws:

One would think the offense and design of it could be a little sharper and crisper if we are only practicing one defense. We had some good shooters but the offense certainly wasn't pretty this past season. Nearly four seasons of some really poor offense. Much of it due to Syracuse's own doing of mucking up the PG recruiting and ballhandling guard recruiting.

Personally I think he is better at developing players. Rarely is his recruiting better than Syracuse's in terms of the rankings. But they are dominant almost every season. He isn't putting as many first round draft picks and such into the league as Syracuse is but our guys are bolting the first chance they get. Staying in 100% zone must play into this, imo. Scouts and agents are in these kids' ears who are considering declaring for the draft constantly throwing in the Syracuse 100% zone/NBA translation issue. I think our guys who always leave after a year consider this and don't want to stay in this system. It's part of the reasons I'm convinced.

The development of Louisville guys going into their soph or second year in the system is pretty staggering. Rozier, Onuaku, Donovan Mitchell, Mahmoud, Montresz Harrell, Deng Adel, etc. All guys you have to guard and pay attention to. Good fundamentals too. Those two grad transfers blended in seamlessly two years ago when they banned themselves and were looking like a dominant team.
Pitino is excellent at this. It's not a knock on Boeheim to say that he's better. Few in the game are.

He's also kind of a scumbag.

Before you light the torch think about it. Why would Griff or any good assistant take the SU job knowing that in all likelihood JB is done in three years or less. Why wouldn't GMac have followed Hop?
Could we have a new yet silent coach in waiting?

Highly doubt it.

Pitino got better players than JB at UK. He hasn't at Louisville. We've won our share of recruiting wars against him. Fab Melo anyone? Also he won the National Title with Luke Hancock and Russ Smith as his best players. They were 2 and 3 star players coming out of high school.

Pitino got better players than JB at UK. He hasn't at Louisville. We've won our share of recruiting wars against him. Fab Melo anyone? Also he won the National Title with Luke Hancock and Russ Smith as his best players. They were 2 and 3 star players coming out of high school.

Oh I'm in agreement here. But, they are pretty dominant every season and my post above depcits those players he develops well combined with all of our players bolting early and/or prematurely as well as the busts.

This is getting way overplayed. The zone has excelled when we've had great talent. The zone has smelled otherwise. Great talent is what allows the zone's breakdowns to be erased. All the extra practice time in the world doesn't move the needle that far.

This is getting way overplayed. The zone has excelled when we've had great talent. The zone has smelled otherwise. Great talent is what allows the zone's breakdowns to be erased. All the extra practice time in the world doesn't move the needle that far.

Well this years team was more talented than last year IMO and the zone was a lot worse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom