Is Rob Moore Next | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is Rob Moore Next

I strongly disagree.. I believe the problem most of our guys have is that they cannot beat press coverage. That's coaching, not talent.
I wouldnt say the roster are not BCS quality players but I would say the WR's arent. Between 2009- 2012. The Wr commits we got that I thought were quality were Lemon, West and Cornelious. The others, Kobena, Flemming, Hale, Lewis, Clark were reaches in my opinion. I thought Foster was okay but still a reach. I was hoping Reddish and Eskridge would come in as WR's because I like what I saw on tape at the WR positon compared to the others who were brought in at WR. But It worked out because Eskridge will play on Sundays and Reddish will be a 3 year starter at CB.

Against a much stronger schedule then 2010, the best record was Connecticut 8-5 our passing yardage was 9 less yards. Moore wasn't the only one recruiting receivers in those years, the entire staff was. Flemming never stayed healthy, West has been ok, Clark, made some plays, Funderburk we still don't know, Cornelius shows potential, as do Ashton, and Estime. Cooper didn't qualify, coming in for next year.

thats funny man. thanks for the laugh
AB has come a long way. Earlier in the year he caught everything thrown chest level and below. He seemed to have difficulty when he needed to turn his hands over for passes above chest level.

During the bowl game he picked a couple high passes cleanly, in stride like he's been doing it his entire life. His hard work is paying off.

Money, in your opinion, is AB too hard on himself? It appears that he gets down on himself sometimes when things don't go as planned.

Moore is a great fundamental WR coach. I know this because of clinics ive seen him at, drill videos, and through conversations Ive had with him. He is a alum, He does a great job developing the WR's. IMO, I think the reason he is not considered a good recruiter is that he doesnt want to chase the high profile players, he rather get a kid who wants to come here and wants to be developed. His confidence in his coaching effects his persistence in his recruiting. (just my opinion). I think he thinks any WR can be developed and worth something under his coaching and expertise. This explains the recruitment of Kobena, Flemming, Hale, Lewis and Clark. To me all of them are D 1aa talent but they all can be productive with his coaching. Ashton could not catch the ball in his younger years. I know that for a fact. So for him to have 50 catches as a soph is great. With that being said, I dont think losing him will hurt that much. Mcdonald is just as good or even better WR coach and we can always find a GA or someone to coach the TE's.

Great perspective and agree completely on having McDonald on staff to help with Wrs. Nothing wroing with Rob being confident in his ability to coach up WRs, but as a matter for recruiting he is assigned an area and needs to also recruit positions other than WR. That is one area that I do fault Rob.

haha. I assume that is sarcasm. At least I'll take it as that.
Not sarcastic, most the wrs brought in by Marrone have not been BCS level. They have been generally small and not skilled. SU had the worst in the ACC that I saw. That's why they're recruiting so many now.

Great perspective and agree completely on having McDonald on staff to help with Wrs. Nothing wroing with Rob being confident in his ability to coach up WRs, but as a matter for recruiting he is assigned an area and needs to also recruit positions other than WR. That is one area that I do fault Rob.
I dont think he is good recruiter either DC. I think he could be with his resume.

Not sarcastic, most the wrs brought in by Marrone have not been BCS level. They have been generally small and not skilled. SU had the worst in the ACC that I saw. That's why they're recruiting so many now.

Oh you meant specifically the WR's, got it. Yeah, you could easily make that case.

AB has come a long way. Earlier in the year he caught everything thrown chest level and below. He seemed to have difficulty when he needed to turn his hands over for passes above chest level.

During the bowl game he picked a couple high passes cleanly, in stride like he's been doing it his entire life. His hard work is paying off.

Money, in your opinion, is AB too hard on himself? It appears that he gets down on himself sometimes when things don't go as planned.
I dont think he's too hard on himself. I just think he is a fierce competitor.

I think it's unfair to say he hasn't done well as a coach. Lemon was one of our more improved players over the years, who became a legit good college WR as a senior. Our leader in receptions this yeaar was a kid who was recruited as a QB, played RB, and is definitely not a natural WR. It's not like Moore has had much to work with. We're not at practice, for all we know he could be working miracles.

Our recruiting as a whole has not lit the world on fire for like 20 years now, so I can't blame him any more than any other coach we've had.

The problem with the AB example, is that the things he excels at are the things that cannot be taught. And the things he does poorly are the things you expect to be taught.

There are very few WR's on the current roster (excluding RF) that would be on a normal 2-deep. We have guys that can't catch a cold...let alone a football. Would a healthy Flemming and Hale have made a difference?

We've moved AB from H-back and used Esk (arguably our best DB) as a WR in certain situations. Our current recruiting class is flush with WR prospects and we're still waiting on a few. I think it's pretty obvious that the staff has identified that the wr unit needs major upgrades. I'm inclined to heavily lean toward lack of talent rather than poor coaching.

I was really impressed with the play of the WRs in the bowl game. I don't think we have an above average outside WR on the roster. Whether I'm right or wrong, people can debate. If I'm right, then whether it's development or natural ability just isn't there, people can debate that too.

Having said that, the blocking alone by the WR group in that bowl game was very good. Sprung so many of those screen plays for positive yardage. I think Moore should get credit for that.

All4SU said:
The problem with the AB example, is that the things he excels at are the things that cannot be taught. And the things he does poorly are the things you expect to be taught.

How do you explain Money's description of how he has grown, specifically his hands?

Tough situation, but at this level you need as many ace recruiters on your staff as you can get. Moore has done a good job as the WR coach, but his perspective on recruiting just doesn't seem to fit with todays kids. If you have the opportunity to get Hafley I would hope we jump on it, especially if we are serious about getting back into NJ. Right now Perles is recruiting NJ, I am not even sure where Moore is? Position coaches are easy to find, ace recruiters in a certain area are much harder to come by.

I dont think he is good recruiter either DC. I think he could be with his resume.

He absolutely CAN be a good recruiter with his background and story, but does he ever WANT to be. Marrone was a good recruiter, but got tired of kissing 18 year old's a**es and stopped being an effective recruiter. Given some of the restrictions that SU has, we don't have the luxury of having 1-2 coaches who don't want to really recruit. We need everyone to be an effective recruiter and not just good position coaches.

Last edited:
He absolutely CAN be a good recruiter with his background and story, but does he ever WANT to be. Marrone is a good recruiter, but got tired of kissing 18 year old's a**es and stopped being an effective recruiter. Given some of the restrictions that SU has, we don't have the luxory of having 1-2 coaches who don't want to really recruit. We need everyone to be an effective recruiter and not just good position coaches.

i agee. his refusal to even get a twitter account proves this. as silly as it may seem to some people it is the main form of communication a lot of the time during recruiting these kids. his unwillingness to do so says a lot.

Tough situation, but at this level you need as many ace recruiters on your staff as you can get. Moore has done a good job as the WR coach, but his perspective on recruiting just doesn't seem to fit with todays kids. If you have the opportunity to get Hafley I would hope we jump on it, especially if we are serious about getting back into NJ. Right now Perles is recruiting NJ, I am not even sure where Moore is? Position coaches are easy to find, ace recruiters in a certain area are much harder to come by.
I agree

i agee. his refusal to even get a twitter account proves this. as silly as it may seem to some people it is the main form of communication a lot of the time during recruiting these kids. his unwillingness to do so says a lot.
Not all coaches on a staff are great recruiters. Being a great coach is more important.

He absolutely CAN be a good recruiter with his background and story, but does he ever WANT to be. Marrone is a good recruiter, but got tired of kissing 18 year old's a**es and stopped being an effective recruiter. Given some of the restrictions that SU has, we don't have the luxory of having 1-2 coaches who don't want to really recruit. We need everyone to be an effective recruiter and not just good position coaches.
agree

Not all coaches on a staff are great recruiters. Being a great coach is more important.

i disagree only because it is easier to find good coaches. George McDonald was an NFL WR coach, he would be just fine

If he is that bad of a recruiter as we think then i dont think he should be on the staff as a position coach if he hurts our recruiting. Unless he is producing biletinkoff finalists every year. lol.. If you have a great recruiter who is just an average position coach. Ill take that all day. lol..

I hope Moore never leaves, sorry. He isn't a great recruiter but he's a hell of coach from I have heard. Guy is a class act, kids like him and he sets a great example for the kids. We have plenty of wr talent coming in, Rob will do a great job getting them ready.

Rob is here because he wants to be. Not because he has to be

Isn't Rob working one of the boroughs?

I hope Moore never leaves, sorry. He isn't a great recruiter but he's a hell of coach from I have heard. Guy is a class act, kids like him and he sets a great example for the kids. We have plenty of wr talent coming in, Rob will do a great job getting them ready.

Rob is here because he wants to be. Not because he has to be
Good point

Isn't Rob working one of the boroughs?

Yes. Plus I know they tag team on a lot of guys. I think he may help Lea down South as well. Just not a lot of action in NYC right now.

Bullough seems to be the main guy in New England. I believe he was the primary recruiter on Erv, and is on Clark. I also believe he does WNY. Money will probably know about that
Perles seems to be in NJ
Reed down in Maryland/VA. I know he is on Demetrius Johnson, and Lawerence.
Lester and Smith cleaning up in the midwest, plus Lester down in northern Fla. He was primary on Hudson
Daoust is in PA. Moore may be doing some work with him there.

It's tough to keep track of because there is a lot of teamwork. I like Moore as a coach, and want him to succeed. As mentioned before he has the potential to be good. Not many position coaches can say you were an NFL All-Pro who came out of the school he is recruiting for. I am just worried his comments about the Erasmus Hall coach caused a lot of damage. No doubt what he said was true, but EH is one of the better programs down there, and yo know how these coaches are connected.

Yes. Plus I know they tag team on a lot of guys. I think he may help Lea down South as well. Just not a lot of action in NYC right now.

Bullough seems to be the main guy in New England. I believe he was the primary recruiter on Erv, and is on Clark. I also believe he does WNY. Money will probably know about that
Perles seems to be in NJ
Reed down in Maryland/VA. I know he is on Demetrius Johnson, and Lawerence.
Lester and Smith cleaning up in the midwest, plus Lester down in northern Fla. He was primary on Hudson
Daoust is in PA. Moore may be doing some work with him there.

It's tough to keep track of because there is a lot of teamwork. I like Moore as a coach, and want him to succeed. As mentioned before he has the potential to be good. Not many position coaches can say you were an NFL All-Pro who came out of the school he is recruiting for. I am just worried his comments about the Erasmus Hall coach caused a lot of damage. No doubt what he said was true, but EH is one of the better programs down there, and yo know how these coaches are connected.

what were his comments on the EH coach?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom