Is this our actual ceiling for the season? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Is this our actual ceiling for the season?

Lol. Cmon with this. We have a lot of talent and potential and we are 7-2. We have missed over 30 practices, that’s a big deal. This team needs time to gel, it isn’t a typical season like in the past. We need to iron out the rotations, shot selection etc. We also need to Sid to come back and at least be a serviceable center. But avoiding another bad loss here was huge. Getting this into the W column and moving on is a good result regardless of however it happened.

We aren’t very talented. The rope that people give this team is insane.

Lot of those minutes came when Buddy was out.

What’s he going to average the rest of the way is the key. I’m having my doubts. This is the second time he hasn’t played at all in the second half of a game.

With Buddy and Joe suited up, he’s played:

32!

With Buddy and Joe suited up, he’s played:

32!

And 9 in game 1.

Thank God Boeheim went with him for that Buffalo game for 32 (it was an overtime game by the way) otherwise we might’ve gotten blown out without the comeback.

I’m good with him playing 18-20, if Joe and Buddy are both playing well like tonight. Otherwise, I’d like to see him around 30, if he’s playing well. Gives us the highest upside in terms of producing across the board, IMO.

7-2 team that absolutely should be 9-0 and yet we aren't a very good team. I'm not saying I fully disagree but with two pauses and everything being upside-down I think its hard to even have a reliable opinion right now on this squad. We still haven't seen what we look like with our starting center playing alongside a team with a lot of practice time.

The same concerns about coaching and minutes are front and center. Can we give them a pass given the pauses hurt them too? I don't know the answer. What I do know is that far too many, myself included are looking at this from the lens of normalcy when it's not anything close. I am thinking we get as much as we can out of this year and get to a normal off season so we can figure some things out. Hopefully between now and then we get a shot at tourney play as well.
This is actually a really good post.

A few things-
I've posted a few different times already this season that I'm frustrated w JG getting so many minutes at the expense of KR getting very few minutes. In general, that should just not be happening. That said, JG (excepting the first part of the game) actually had a really nice game - 18 pts (3/4 from 3) 8 asts 2 TO - hard to sit a guy with those numbers, esp your lead guard.

As the 'zoo notes above, I just really don't think you can get a fair read on where the actual lineup/minutes is right now - considering covid, injuries, etc - upside-down season to this point is right. JB leaning on vets, while probably to the extreme, is understandable.

But, yeah, Kadary should have got in for at least a few minutes in the 2nd half, for his defense alone. I agree it's definitely frustrating.

We aren’t very talented. The rope that people give this team is insane.

Your expectations are through the roof. You want Top 15, FF or bust and think you know the formula with this team to get it. It's clear there is zero rope pandemic be damned with you. We get it. It's not realistic and not happening this year but who cares right? I love the passion but take a few chill pills and hang in there. Everybody is frustrated but the fan version of minutes isn't going to move mountains or win the ACC. We need some synergy and the combination of practice and roster continuity.

And 9 in game 1.

Thank God Boeheim went with him for that Buffalo game for 32, otherwise we might’ve gotten blown out without the comeback.

So he plays 20 minutes per game and gets big minutes when we need him. What again is the issue? Cuz we lost to Pitt when he, Girard, and Buddy played equally poor?

Your expectations are through the roof. You want Top 15, FF or bust and think you know the formula with this team to get it. It's clear there is zero rope pandemic be damned with you. We get it. It's not realistic and not happening this year but who cares right? I love the passion but take a few chill pills and hang in there. Everybody is frustrated but the fan version of minutes isn't going to move mountains or win the ACC. We need some synergy and the combination of practice and roster continuity.

If you think I’m hoping for top 15 you are out of your mind.

So he plays 20 minutes per game and gets big minutes when we need him. What again is the issue? Cuz we lost to Pitt when he, Girard, and Buddy played equally poor?

The issue is he’s been twice as productive as the other two guards, but he needs all the planets to line up correctly to play more than them.

He’s better.

And we beat Pitt with him in there not being dumb and lazy down the stretch.

We lost Sid early and Bryant missed the looks to steal it. We had RU and Pitt where we wanted them. The point is we have two things going on here. The old problems since 2017 that are still here to go with a season where you can't get any sort of read on what we actually are with the pauses. You can't honestly believe we can evaluate this year with a normal lens and that missing so many practices and players on and off is fair game for hammering away. It's just not realistic to take that approach. A lot of being pissed off for not being what we want Cuse Hoops to be and over projecting. It's human... albeit I think it's fair to say some of us are a bit too cynical right now.

Nothing you are saying is unfair...my only counters would be that every other team has similar issues. Pitt was missing how many players and beat us?

...and in our case and the lack of bench use isnt just a one year situation. It’s a yearS long fatigue.

however, what you are saying is fair. Maybe we need to give him more time to start using more guys. I just don’t see it

If you think I’m hoping for top 15 you are out of your mind.

You are all over the board. Start making the calls to Jay Wright and see if you get any bites. At least it would be more productive than incessantly flipping out over the minutes distribution every game win or lose.

Because JG and Buddy played well. He gets 20 most nights when both those guys are playing.

A group here will never admit that Joe, and Buddy can both possibly play well in the same game. They must sit more! We have the next Pearl on the bench! The next Pearl, I tell ya!

The issue is he’s been twice as productive as the other two guards, but he needs all the planets to line up correctly to play more than them.

He’s better.

And we beat Pitt with him in there not being dumb and lazy down the stretch.

The other two guards are 15 PER guys. In a minuscule sample size in a fudged up season their PER is lower. Kadary’s is higher in the same minuscule sample size. Is he a 21 PER guy? Maybe, but probably not.

They’re close. He’s a freshman. He’s going to play behind them. If he gets in the game and makes things happen, he plays more. If he doesn’t, he plays less.

You are all over the board. Start making the calls to Jay Wright and see if you get any bites. At least it would be more productive than incessantly flipping out over the minutes distribution every game win or lose.

I have no idea how to respond to this.

Nothing you are saying is unfair...my only counters would be that every other team has similar issues. Pitt was missing how many players and beat us?

...and in our case and the lack of bench use isnt just a one year situation. It’s a yearS long fatigue.

however, what you are saying is fair. Maybe we need to give him more time to start using more guys. I just don’t see it

I haven't heard him say anything beyond Sid, Frank or Woody but Kadary has been on the Bike a lot this year. I am really wondering if he has an ailment that allows him to play but is causing some issues. We had no clue about Quincy last year until the season was over. I am for sure frustrated and not super optimistic about minutes either. I do think we have the depth and JB actually knows and will use it but that also depends on whether health and conditioning issues are playing a role. It is just curious how it's taken Kadary time to loosen up. Even vs Pitt those early shots he looked really tight and wasn't moving well until he got into the game some more. Who knows I am just trying to see this incredibly screwed up pandemic year for what it is. I also see things that are carryovers from the past few years that are coaching based issues.

I was really optimistic after the Buffalo game. Biggest reason why was we rolled with Kadary down the stretch and he was GREAT. He brings things to the table that the other guys never will. It raises our ceiling significantly.

Then we get a two week COVID layoff, blow a game in horrific fashion against Pitt, barely beat the worst Georgetown team of all time, while Kadary is a non factor that barely plays...which means our ceiling is pretty much what it was last year.

Sorry if I’m a bit disgruntled but the last 3 weeks have been...not great. Maybe things will settle in and look better as we hopefully get back into the swing of things, and getting Sidibe back helps.

The other two guards are 15 PER guys. In a minuscule sample size in a fudged up season their PER is lower. Kadary’s is higher in the same minuscule sample size. Is he a 21 PER guy? Maybe, but probably not.

They’re close. He’s a freshman. He’s going to play behind them. If he gets in the game and makes things happen, he plays more. If he doesn’t, he plays less.

Usually more talented freshmen play less because of defensive lapses...

I have no idea how to respond to this.

Fair enough- it's quite frankly the same sentiment with a lot of your posts. Its hard to follow what you are even trying to say besides you expect much much better and really dislike certain players and how JB is running the program.

JGIII’s PER is 14.5 in 49 games. Buddy’s is 14.9 in 69 games.

we are fundamentally relying on two players who are below average. Congrats on one game where they played above average.

[edit: this isn’t directed at you]

Fair enough- it's quite frankly the same sentiment with a lot of your posts. Its hard to follow what you are even trying to say besides you expect much much better and really dislike certain players and how JB is running the program.

Correct. Statistics. Very hard.

If the expectations are now just making the NCAAT then the fanbase should cool down.
If the expectations are to be an elite program then this thread is completely on point.

I see JB running this program like he is very comfortable with this roster. Which tells me the program isn’t striving for NCs or conference titles.
As the talent isn’t good enough for that.
I don’t see the staff recruiting guards which tell us they are comfortable with our roster.

J

Correct. Statistics. Very hard.

15 years in analytics and a Math degree.. I am fully aware of the statistics. Much of what you have claimed as game set match has been all over the map. Emotions first statistics second is what I see.

Usually more talented freshmen play less because of defensive lapses...

Usually returning players play more because they understand the system and what the coach wants. Kadary is very good. He deserves to play good minutes. He hasn’t earned the staring spot or a consistent 30mpg yet. He has not shown much ability to hit 3’s. If that remains, teams will eventually see that in the scouting report and sag off of him. If he doesn’t get in the paint, there goes his advantage on offense, including his assists.

I love his defense and agree he’s our best defender at the top of the zone.

15 years in analytics and a Math degree.. I am fully aware of the statistics. Much of what you have claimed as game set match has been all over the map. Emotions first statistics second is what I see.

Congrats on your degree

Emotion? Show me the results that prove out I’m wrong.

Buddy and JGiii are below average on offense and terrible on defense. We have other options to score more efficiently.

Where’s the rub?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom