Is today the day, (or tonight the night?) | Syracusefan.com

Is today the day, (or tonight the night?)

SWC75

Bored Historian
Twice this year I've expressed the feeling that a particular game would be the first one we would get beat. I've been delighted to be wrong each time. I'm shooting for a whiff here.

I'm worried about the trend in recent games of our either forcing a lot of turnovers and winning the game with fast breaks depsite bad shooting nights, (Seton Hall and DePaul: 5 treys but 41 turnvoers forced) or not forcing an unusual number of turnovers but winning the games by shooting the lights out, (Bucknell, Tulane and the Providence: 39 turnovers forced but 28 treys). You know the game is coming when we aren't focing turnovers and not hitting jump shots. Tick...tick...tick.

Then there's Kadeem Batts and Gerlad Coleman who lived in the high post against us when we played Providence. The Friars didn't go right at Fab melo as Herb Pope did. They made him come to them and then moved around him to score and draw fouls, (antoehr factor: you knew Fab would stop getting those char=ging calls once he got a reputation as a flopper). Batts and Coleman were 15 for 17 from the line against us. Jay Crowder is a better player than either one. We wound up playing CJ Fair at cneter because Fab had four fouls. Rak had fouled out and Baye wasn't avaialble. He won't be available in this game, either.

We saw Marquette beat us last eyar and when it looked like were getting revenge in the NCAA's they reversed the momentum and frustrated us again. Now we are looking for revenge again in our own place. They used to be a "soft" team that we could drive through to score. But now they have become the sort of physical team that always gives us trouble.

It's not that I'm convinced that we will lose. It's just that when I try to imagine losing to Marquette, the picture comes into greater focus than when I pictured Seton Hall, DePaul or Providence doing it.

I'm not afraid of the first loss. Nobody's ever gone unbeaten in this conference. (Only one team has made it through with a single defeat since we went to a full schduel in 1980-81- can you guess who it is?). It's fun being #1 but we are just keeping the seat warm for someone else. That's just a set of opinions anyway and in this sport the opinions don't ultimately determine the champion. I'm not sure I want to be undefeated going tinto the post season. Maybe the players would embrace it the way they've embraced being #1 but I don't want to be 36-1 with the loss in the good ol' Sweet 16.

I don't think this team would collapse once they get beat like last year's team did with a four game losing streak. I think it will be more like two years ago when we started 13-0, lost to Pitt at home, won another 11 in a row, got beat the first time by Lousiville, won four in a row, lost to the Cardinals again, then saw AO go down in a one and done vs. Georgetown in New York, still won in the first two rounds, then lost to Butler. Hopefully we'll have a better run at the end. Defeat will sting just as much when it comes, (it always does), but it won't be a tragedy, just another game.

I expect us to come out sharp and efficient and run this team off the court. This team I am guessing has had this game circled on their calendar since march. I would be shocked if we stub our toe.

Marquette always concerns me at least a little because I'm a big fan of Buzz Williams (except when he insists on continuing to foul late in the game and take timeouts when the game is already lost - I feel like he does this more than most coaches I watch regularly). He's embraced statistical analysis and finds a fair share of undervalued players. Johnson-Odom wasn't rated by RSCI, but he's scored over 1200 points with a season and a half to go in his career.

I think Syracuse is more likely to win today on the strength of offensive rebounding and defense than with lights-out shooting.

Not having Baye will hurt us, that is for sure...

Errata- two teams have gone through a full conference season with a single loss. See my post "Running the Table".

I get a little antsy before every game, considering scenarios where we lose. Always possible in the BE, and Marquette will be very motivated as well. But I think we put together a solid game and hold em off, although I am going to lay off betting today, as this line seems imposing.

I got a feeling you will have some similar thoughts Wednesday evening.

Its gonna take a huge effort for a team to beat us at the dome this year, i dont think marquette is up to that task. Plus theyre reeling after blowing the big lead at gtown.

Its gonna take a huge effort for a team to beat us at the dome this year, i dont think marquette is up to that task. Plus theyre reeling after blowing the big lead at gtown.

But they were good enough to build up a big lead at Georgeotwn and how often do you blow a lead like that more than once?

I think our team is so good, and will be so amped for this game, that we will win handily... BUT if I was going to bet the game and wasn't a cuse fan, I could not look past such facts as... until Baye is back and/or Rak continues his development our big man depth is in trouble, Marquette has always been a matchup problem it seems, and they are too good of a team to go into a complete tailspin (and beating us certainly would halt that).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom