JB has changed | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

JB has changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not afraid of the alternative, I'm just grateful enough to the guy to wait because I don't treat this shlit like the stock market

And I'm guessing your coaches aren't that sharp if they're laughing that the coaches last years aren't great. They're last years for a reason. They'll have them too and if they were smarter they'd realize it
No idea what Millhouse is trying to convey.

I agree with you that this year might be as bad or worse than last year

I don't think we are good, I think we will be irrelevant. I just don't think we look like idiots for not canning boeheim
I agree that "we" (SU Athletics and BOT) don't look like idiots for not firing JB. He has earned his keep and should leave on his terms.

I will say that JB acts like he does not care about the program anymore. That's a really bad look for him. His legacy will include some major accomplishments but will end with him looking like an egotistical tyrant.

When on earth has anyone else asked for sources and been given them on a message board? Give me a break. If you think I'm lying, ignore. I don't really care.
Yeah this is very bizarre behavior by folks who use anonymous sources on the recruiting board non stop.

I don't even know if I believe you...but who cares?

When on earth has anyone else asked for sources and been given them on a message board? Give me a break. If you think I'm lying, ignore. I don't really care.
Ok I'll try this. Are some or all of these coaches on your List current head coaches of High D1 teams ? Will some or all have played Syracuse last year. Will some or all play Syracuse this year ?

Except that for years that wasn't the case at all. Our "February swoons" were frequent. If anything the persistent critique of JB was that he piled up wins early in the season at the expense of developing the team for March.

I agree that in recent years simply getting into the tourney has been a high wire act due to not getting out of the gate strong (or being strong at any point in the season really).
in recent years...it seems all he cares about is gearing up for the tourney...but you;re right...wasnt always the case

Ok I'll try this. Are some or all of these coaches on your List current head coaches of High D1 teams ? Will some or all have played Syracuse last year. Will some or all play Syracuse this year ?
If I said yes to all of the above, would it even matter?

Except that for years that wasn't the case at all. Our "February swoons" were frequent. If anything the persistent critique of JB was that he piled up wins early in the season at the expense of developing the team for March.

I agree that in recent years simply getting into the tourney has been a high wire act due to not getting out of the gate strong (or being strong at any point in the season really).
I hate the trope that only Jim prepares
His teams for March. Like every coach stops coaching come February. He is a good coach who has won 1,000 games. Of course he prepares them. So doesn’t Huggins, Pitino , Louie Carnesecca and Brad Stevens.

The knock on him historically was the team wasn’t able to perform come March

At this point he’s an old man who doesn’t seem ready to give it up. That’s a sad thing because he probably doesn’t like the future of not having the one thing he’s had for my entire life.

Not easy at all. To me it comes down to his wife and kids giving him the talk. Others won’t convince him absent a termination

In watching todays post game presser and listening to Jim after the last game he has changed.
He is as smart as ever and his observations are for the most part spot on. Whats different is that he comes across as an observer vs the teams coach. Hes detailed but hes also detached. Very matter of fact, very laid back.
Like hes reviewing a play vs directing it.
I have a different take.

As much as I am sure that he truly did enjoy coaching his sons, at times I would bet that it was also difficult dealing with the outside criticism, especially last year when his sons were two of the mainstays on the worst team ever in the Boeheim era.

This year he can just get back to being Coach Boeheim and not have to worry about Daddy Boeheim and all the baggage that entails.

I just get the sense he likes this team.

This team cannot play a lick of defense right now and the O is not much better, if not worse, but making teams much better in March than they are in November is what he does best.

This team is more athletic than any team he has had in a while and, in Mintz, we seem to have a guy who can get to the rim ala Flynn, Devo or Waiters.

We'll see if the hole ends up being too deep but I bet dollars to donuts that this team is much, much better come March.

We'll see.

I agree that "we" (SU Athletics and BOT) don't look like idiots for not firing JB. He has earned his keep and should leave on his terms.

I will say that JB acts like he does not care about the program anymore. That's a really bad look for him. His legacy will include some major accomplishments but will end with him looking like an egotistical tyrant.
He is a tyrant for not quitting?

Gtfoh

How does he act like he doesn’t care?

How does he act like he doesn’t care?

The JB we knew and is a HOFer probably cared too much.

That JB would never put up with the crap we are getting from Benny Williams and let him return after that miserable season he had last year with no real competition.

I can’t really even blame JB for not surrendering the thing he knows, loves, and pays him millions of dollars a year.

I blame the person who signs the checks. Because checks are involved, it’s a business. And the business is having its brand eroded, loss after loss, year after year, top 25 list after top 25 list, national tv schedule after tv schedule.

It‘s the AD’s fault at this point. He is entrusted with certain obligations and his priorities seem to be further aligned with sentimentality than fiscal/product responsibility.

“We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.”

How JB has changed is he hasn’t brought in a quality PG since Tyler Ennis.

College basketball is guard dominant.
Syracuse has relied on wing players to be their best players. SG/SF can be your best players but you need a steady floor general who can steal you baskets when your jump
Shots struggle during a game.

Coach Boeheim uses combo guards to play PG. i don’t get how we don’t recruit point guards when they were a staple of his best teams.

Joe Girard takes a lot of unwarranted criticism because he was forced to play PG so he could be on the floor the last 3 years. He is in his natural position now and Judah is just young.

Coach Boeheim has changed he was comfortable playing guards out of position so that he could play players he wanted instead of building an all around team.

Until we are good at the PG position we are going to be up and down. The players aren’t the issue as much as the coaching staff needs to build a complete team.

The JB we knew and is a HOFer probably cared too much.

That JB would never put up with the crap we are getting from Benny Williams and let him return after that miserable season he had last year with no real competition.
Also, he keeps returning coaches who keep missing on the recruiting trail.

I'll reserve judgment about this team until after next week in Brooklyn, but handily losing to Colgate twice in a row should concern everyone. I understand the loyalty people have, but as Zelda Zonk said, this is a business and our program is more supported than any other in the country in terms of attendance. To not change the head coach OR any assistant coaches says the administration is fine with what is happening to the program. That is worrisome.

How JB has changed is he hasn’t brought in a quality PG since Tyler Ennis.

College basketball is guard dominant.
Syracuse has relied on wing players to be their best players. SG/SF can be your best players but you need a steady floor general who can steal you baskets when your jump
Shots struggle during a game.

Coach Boeheim uses combo guards to play PG. i don’t get how we don’t recruit point guards when they were a staple of his best teams.

Joe Girard takes a lot of unwarranted criticism because he was forced to play PG so he could be on the floor the last 3 years. He is in his natural position now and Judah is just young.

Coach Boeheim has changed he was comfortable playing guards out of position so that he could play players he wanted instead of building an all around team.

Until we are good at the PG position we are going to be up and down. The players aren’t the issue as much as the coaching staff needs to build a complete team.
I strongly agree with this. John Gillon was outstanding player, did everything you wanted. But he was too short for the zone. It's too hard to find the point guard you need in a landscape where outside shooting is better overall

If I said yes to all of the above, would it even matter?
It would matter if your contacts were head coaches of teams that actually play against JB - they have skin in the game thus their view that Syracuse is not a threat has meaning.

I can’t really even blame JB for not surrendering the thing he knows, loves, and pays him millions of dollars a year.

I blame the person who signs the checks. Because checks are involved, it’s a business. And the business is having its brand eroded, loss after loss, year after year, top 25 list after top 25 list, national tv schedule after tv schedule.

It‘s the AD’s fault at this point. He is entrusted with certain obligations and his priorities seem to be further aligned with sentimentality than fiscal/product responsibility.

“We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.”

BOT, Kent.

I strongly agree with this. John Gillon was outstanding player, did everything you wanted. But he was too short for the zone. It's too hard to find the point guard you need in a landscape where outside shooting is better overall
Last year we had the best shooting team imaginable.

Problem was they were ridiculously easy to play against and we caught every teams best game of the season where all their shots dropped and it wasn’t a coincidence. Doesn’t matter how many threes you hit if the opponent scores more points.

JBs solution was to rely on Williams and a bunch of freshmen at forward. Criminal really to be that stupid and the AD allowing this has culpability.

"Last year we had the best shooting team imaginable."
best shooting perhaps .worst defensive probably.

Last year we had the best shooting team imaginable.

Problem was they were ridiculously easy to play against and we caught every teams best game of the season where all their shots dropped and it wasn’t a coincidence. Doesn’t matter how many threes you hit if the opponent scores more points.

JBs solution was to rely on Williams and a bunch of freshmen at forward. Criminal really to be that stupid and the AD allowing this has culpability.
BB had size, BB and JG could shoot, but JG is small and slow and BB is small and slow

The tradeoffs never work. Shooting, quickness, size. Zone needs 2 and 3. Offense needs 1 and 2. So to be good at both, we need 1 2 and 3. That's very hard to find..

Other defenses can get by without 3. which means they can be good at what they need with just 1 and 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom