Jerry says we have the 15th best class | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jerry says we have the 15th best class

Not to be a Debbie Downer but strategiclly I don't think filling roster holes in May/June/July is a great place to be.

True but with at least a couple multi-year building block players now signed, there should be much less need to do that.

I still think 2017-2018 looks bleak, by our standards. But the framework for a much better team thereafter is settling into place. Our major hurdle is still finding a legit, high-end PG and overall guard talent/depth, coupled with outside shooting.

I agree, Jason. We have "almost" put together a class of program players to give us some depth and continuity. But you need 2 or 3 offense stars to make our "offense" effective. Brissett may turn into one of them, but I still think we could use a couple top 30 type of guys to get back to where we need to be. I guess that has to wait until next year. We are still a player or two away from being balanced offensively and defensively.

I think that depends on Chukwu & Sidibe. If they can hold down the center position, then Thompson will get nearly all his minutes at forward (which I think will be his best position). In that case, he & MD eat up most of the forward minutes.

of course, that is assuming that Dolezaj is the stud everyone is imagining.

it's really too soon to project anything from the new guys (nor even the two juniors for that matter)

Right now I would favor Sidibe over Chukwu. PC's footwork was not nearly as good as I was hoping last year. He reminded me way more of Sean Williams than Baye Keita in the short time he played last fall.

I agree, Jason. We have "almost" put together a class of program players to give us some depth and continuity. But you need 2 or 3 offense stars to make our "offense" effective. Brissett may turn into one of them, but I still think we could use a couple top 30 type of guys to get back to where we need to be. I guess that has to wait until next year. We are still a player or two away from being balanced offensively and defensively.
True, but how many schools outside of Duke and UK regularly land "a couple top 30 guys" each year? We don't really ever do that, so I wouldn't set the goal that high.

True, but how many schools outside of Duke and UK regularly land "a couple top 30 guys" each year? We don't really ever do that, so I wouldn't set the goal that high.

You should go back and take a closer look at our recruiting ratings these past 10 years or so.

You should go back and take a closer look at our recruiting ratings these past 10 years or so.
In the past where players in the 30s stayed longer and we didn't require them year in and year out I would agree. Yes we had some good classes in the past with a stud mixed in here and there, but it's been a few seasons since we grabbed a couple guys in the 30s. I expect us to get back there, hopefully sooner rather than later.

If we had their problems, followers of The Narrative™ would still complain.

How do you do that thing with the "tm"? Ive been a major user of tm, so that may come in handy.

This isn't true at all, please don't post things you made up in your mind.
If we had gotten QG you don't think our recruiting class may have shaken out differently?

Last edited:
Best part about this class is that it should still be mostly together in 2-3 years. Good foundation for the future to build off of.

Unless someone gets good before that.

I am open to the possibility of any one or more of our freshman or fifth year senior tranfers being sensationally good.

Do they give out championships for having the highest rated class?? Seriously...why does it even matter how or why he got that number for our class? Classes overachieve and underachieve if you go off their rankings...I mean these rankings are still based partially off subjective scores by people who evaluate players. Let's just move on and see how they play, then we'll decide if they deserve the 15 or not!

I don't disagree, but we need to move away from Grad Transfers and start signing legitimate top end prospects to build continuity and increase our high end talent. 2 years in a row we have been one of the last teams in the P5 to finish filling out our roster.

Top end freshman talent doesn't build continuity any more than grad transfers do, because the top end talent leaves also.

How I see the roster shaking out as is.
Starters

Howard 10pts 8ast 4reb 2stl
Battle 18pts 3reb 2ast
Moyer 11pts 5reb
Thompson 18pts 6reb
Chukwu 4pts 7reb 3blk

Bench

Washington 3pts 2ast
Dolezaj 4pts 4reb
Brisset 5pts 4reb
Sidibe 6pts 3reb

Looks good to me. Just short another guard. Anything happens to any of our guards and we are super screwed at this point.

Starters

Battle 18pts 3reb 2ast
Moyer 11pts 5reb
Thompson 18pts 6reb
Chukwu 4pts 7reb 3blk

Bench

Washington 3pts 2ast
Dolezaj 4pts 4reb
Brisset 5pts 4reb
Sidibe 6pts 3reb

Looks good to me. Just short another guard. Anything happens to any of our guards and we are super screwed at this point.

What have you seen that makes you think Chukwu will start? Just curious.

Starters

Battle 18pts 3reb 2ast
Moyer 11pts 5reb
Thompson 18pts 6reb
Chukwu 4pts 7reb 3blk

Bench

Washington 3pts 2ast
Dolezaj 4pts 4reb
Brisset 5pts 4reb
Sidibe 6pts 3reb

That would be great...and if we are scoring high 70's like you say, I just hope our defense is much improved from last year. I think our rebounding definitely will be better, so if the defense is better, we have a shot.

On a side note, I think you're forgetting the 4-5 plus turnovers a game that I could see Frank averaging. I hope I'm wrong though.

What have you seen that makes you think Chukwu will start? Just curious.
Honestly I just think his familiarity with our system. Being around the zone and learning it for two years already. He is a presence with his size alone. His defense will have him start. He may not play a ton of minutes but I think Boeheim starts him and allows Thompson to play his natural PF position.

Starters

Battle 18pts 3reb 2ast
Moyer 11pts 5reb
Thompson 18pts 6reb
Chukwu 4pts 7reb 3blk

Bench

Washington 3pts 2ast
Dolezaj 4pts 4reb
Brisset 5pts 4reb
Sidibe 6pts 3reb

Howard with 8ast? Is this for the year?

That would be great...and if we are scoring high 70's like you say, I just hope our defense is much improved from last year. I think our rebounding definitely will be better, so if the defense is better, we have a shot.

On a side note, I think you're forgetting the 4-5 plus turnovers a game that I could see Frank averaging. I hope I'm wrong though.
I am hopeful for our offense. I mean we lost Cooney, Richardson, and Silent G the year before and our scoring average went up from 70 to 76. Of course our defense suffered mightily though.
If Chukwu can hold down the Center spot we have a game changer in the middle al a Rudy Gobert-esque. We also have some long athletic wings in Moyer, Marek, and Brisset who are perfect for zone defense.

I think we could look pretty good next season.

Honestly I just think his familiarity with our system. Being around the zone and learning it for two years already. He is a presence with his size alone. His defense will have him start. He may not play a ton of minutes but I think Boeheim starts him and allows Thompson to play his natural PF position.

How is he going to collect 7 boards and block 3 shots a game without playing at least 25+ minutes. We saw him pre-eye injury struggle on both ends against cupcake city. That was after a year in the system. Its always possible he makes a huge turn around but it didn't look to me like he had basketball feet which is something that is hard to correct.
Not to mention putting him at the 5 pushed Thompson to the 4 which pushes out a forward better suited to defend on the wing and better at attacking the basket. Add Howard in the game, put your best defender on Battle and that group could have a hard time scoring no matter what they were doing on defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom