Jerry says we have the 15th best class | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jerry says we have the 15th best class

I think you are worrying too much. We'll be integrating 4 freshman, but 1 of them has been in the program for a year. Two of the other three project to backup roles. Dolezaj is the only one right now who projects to heavy minutes, but he brings a lot of international experience against older players to the table.

They'll be supporting 2 sophomores who logged big minutes.

The big question marks for me are not the young guns, but with the two most experienced guys: Juniors Frank Howard & Pascal Chuckwu, neither of whom has remotely lived up to expectations. I'm crossing my fingers that Boeheim is right that Frank can have a Scoop Jardine-like progressions, because him being a competent PG is the key to the whole season.

IMHO.

You don't think Brissett is going to log big minutes? I do. He's too good.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but strategiclly I don't think filling roster holes in May/June/July is a great place to be.

Agreed. Can't save the day the last minute every year. Need to sign Carey/Swider or someone like that by the fall. 3-5 years ago we would have our next class almost wrapped up by now.

Not to be a Debbie Downer but strategiclly I don't think filling roster holes in May/June/July is a great place to be.
the way we did it last year - scrambling for grad transfers late in the game - I would agree.

But adding quality program guys? I'm all for it if they are available.
FWIW, Duke and Kentucky are also doing this

Not ideal situation but doesn't mean these guys aren't good

You don't think Brissett is going to log big minutes? I do. He's too good.
I think that depends on Chukwu & Sidibe. If they can hold down the center position, then Thompson will get nearly all his minutes at forward (which I think will be his best position). In that case, he & MD eat up most of the forward minutes.

of course, that is assuming that Dolezaj is the stud everyone is imagining.

it's really too soon to project anything from the new guys (nor even the two juniors for that matter)

I think that depends on Chukwu & Sidibe. If they can hold down the center position, then Thompson will get nearly all his minutes at forward (which I think will be his best position). In that case, he & MD eat up most of the forward minutes.

of course, that is assuming that Dolezaj is the stud everyone is imagining.

it's really too soon to project anything from the new guys (nor even the two juniors for that matter)

Yeah I get the feeling Brissett is better the Marek, but that's just MO and you never know anything for sure until these guys take the court. I guess I'm not as high on Chukwu being able to give us much as others.

We don't know how good they are until they suit up, and talented or not whos to say it doesn't have an effect on team chemistry or learing the defense.
Dolejac came out of nowhere late. He was not on anyone's radar but Vandy and us. He's been playing as an all star vs men in their mid late twenties. Had we got Quade Tucker etc we would never have taken him. Is this good? Is this bad? It could be destiny and another way for Boeheim to surprise and put it to the NCAA We got the number 1 Canadian player. We got Battle Tauren the talent Sidbe is smart and athletic Washington may surprise. God forbid Howard finds his way I'm not feeling hopeless with one more guard.

Ladies and Gentlemen Captain J he will be preforming here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress and Bartender!

Thanks for the welcome. Ladies and gentle****s, he's right, unless I get run out first by the audience, or sent to Belize on unexpected business. Either way, I'm kinda like Bees brilliantly described, the Whac-A-Mole whom you have no idea when/where will pop up next. I will give you this in case that happens. It's my role model, Mr Entertainment, Tony Clifton: (by the way, dont tell Jerry about my joke, he could be sensitive...and it isnt my intent to offend anyone)

3-5 years ago, the overall landscape of recruiting was different than it is now. Grad transfers and social media are changing the game.

I don't disagree, but we need to move away from Grad Transfers and start signing legitimate top end prospects to build continuity and increase our high end talent. 2 years in a row we have been one of the last teams in the P5 to finish filling out our roster.

I don't disagree, but we need to move away from Grad Transfers and start signing legitimate top end prospects to build continuity and increase our high end talent. 2 years in a row we have been one of the last teams in the P5 to finish filling out our roster.
The staff is adjusting. We used to get guys to commit when they were juniors. Those days appear to be over.

A lot of teams are still filling out their rosters. How do you think we're doing compared to, say, Michigan State?

We don't know how good they are until they suit up, and talented or not whos to say it doesn't have an effect on team chemistry or learing the defense.

+1. I want to be optimistic, but recall how we went from Final 4 projections to getting beat in an empty Dome in the NIT. Im guessing the coaching staff may have a bit more practice dealing with similar situations now, but it isnt safe to assume, as Ive seen some do, that because Boeheim got burnt by it last year that he wont again this year.

Like in Breaking Bad, chemistry is the important x-factor. We can talk til we are Orange and blew in our faces, but it wont make any difference until we see how well these fine young gents work together on the court.

The staff is adjusting. We used to get guys to commit when they were juniors. Those days appear to be over.

A lot of teams are still filling out their rosters. How do you think we're doing compared to, say, Michigan State?

I wouldn't say a lot. Michigan State is probably a top 3 team next year so I would say they are doing a little better than us right now.

I wouldn't say a lot. Michigan State is probably a top 3 team next year so I would say they are doing a little better than us right now.
I just meant in terms of recruiting. Jaren Jackson is a top ten player, but their overall class is barely in the top 50. They've been missing out on guys left and right this cycle, including Mark Smith and (probably) Brian Bowen.

I just meant in terms of recruiting. Jaren Jackson is a top ten player, but their overall class is barely in the top 50. They've been missing out on guys left and right this cycle, including Mark Smith and (probably) Brian Bowen.

They didn't have a lot of minutes available so I am not surprised. We do. We have a good class, but we got lucky with Marek IMO. Let's hope he gets cleared.

the way we did it last year - scrambling for grad transfers late in the game - I would agree.

But adding quality program guys? I'm all for it if they are available.
FWIW, Duke and Kentucky are also doing this

Duke and Kentucky are waiting on top 10-20 kids for the most part who were waiting for the numerous 1 and dones to leave those programs. We have 0 in common with what they are doing.

But they are also building on a top 3 overall class last year, with another 5* in Jackson this year and then already have 2 Michigan kids committed in the 2018 class. I wish we had their problems.

But they are also building on a top 3 overall class last year, with another 5* in Jackson this year and then already have 2 Michigan kids committed in the 2018 class. I wish we had their problems.
If we had their problems, followers of The Narrative™ would still complain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom