John Bol is likely staying | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

John Bol is likely staying

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will never see meaningful minutes here. That being said he’s a great locker room guy and loved by all his teammates. One thing that shouldn’t go unnoticed for next year is the team chemistry should be a lot better. All of these guys already pretty much know each other from either playing together last season, on the AAU circuit, etc...but everyone knows their role here. Symir knows he’s going to be the 3rd guard and he’s good buddies with Buddy, Jimmy, JG3, etc...Cole has a relationship with a few players on the team prior to even transferring here and has a relationship with the staff from out of high school. Jimmy self explanatory and Benny knows exactly where he stands with the staff and he’ll fit in well with the players we have based on his personality. All of this can’t go understated and should help improve the team growth as well.

The perfect guy to get minutes in blowouts and have some big moments that the bench goes nuts for while also being the bench hype man.

Three headed monster (monster ??) at center !
15 fouls to give at the 5.
Hope he is able to elevate his game and qualify
for the 3 headed monster triad !
The more fouls at the 5, the better, especially given the history of injuries we have had at the 5.
Well this year, right now, he's more in the 21-25 foul spot - Sid/Jesse/Frank/JimJr.

A good point of this though is he should know where he stood when coming back. So SU gets a quality person who understands his role. A good glue, team guy who has come to the conclusion that what he has here is better than the alternatives.

Howard Washington is in the portal.
can do better.

Symir is already the pass first, non-scoring PG...would like more of a threat added at guard.

Does he still have 4 years of eligibility left? That would be a lot of time to develop.

Smart move by JBA...more kids in the Portal then roster spots available because most schools are going with reduced rosters.

That is because it won't. JBA has his eyes on the 2 guard spot. And that is wide open.
Hard not to root for the kid. He might be the best bench personality, chemistry guy we have ever had. But...he has about the same odds of seeing meaningful time at the 2 as he does the 4/5.

Hard not to root for the kid. He might be the best bench personality, chemistry guy we have ever had. But...he has about the same odds of seeing meaningful time at the 2 as he does the 4/5.
I wasn't serious

There might be someone who is marginally better, but he won’t know the system as well as HW.
idk i feel like the program showed a lot of loyalty to him but he dipped out.

And he really isn't that good...symir is already the non scoring PG...dont need 2.

I just feell like that spot could be filled by a better player...who might be able to impose himself on the game more and not be so passive out there.

BUT if there really was no one else out there then it would be good to have him over only having 3 guards.

And he really isn't that good...symir is already the non scoring PG...dont need 2.

I just feell like that spot could be filled by a better player...who might be able to impose himself on the game more and not be so passive out there.

BUT if there really was no one else out there then it would be good to have him over only having 3 guards.

at first blush, I agree with you. But it all depends upon what JB wants from that position. There should be better point guards out there but the question would be are they good enough to tie up a scholarship for several years. With Howard, you get a grad transfer. You tie up a schollie for a year and get a guy who knows the system, knows the zone, is a viable practice player, and generally won’t hurt you when he is on the court. His assist to turnover ratio was a hair over 2:1 and while everyone loves Kadary, his was a hair under 2:1. So, Howard at least gives you a steadying presence at the point, if not much scoring.

we don’t know whether or not he left out of disloyalty. He might have gotten “the talk” and for all we know, JB may have made calls on his behalf.

if the coaches like him and they have an open spot, they might be willing to throw him a bone in the form of a free graduate year. I would be inclined to think that they also did that for Bourama, except that he had said he wouldn’t return unless he was healthy enough to play. So hopefully his legs will be good to go.

In my mind, we need a fourth guard unless Chaz can play there. Truth be told, I really don’t know what Chaz is...a 3 maybe? Not sure. But if we want another guard from the portal and only for one year, Howard may be worth a look depending again upon what JB wants.

at first blush, I agree with you. But it all depends upon what JB wants from that position. There should be better point guards out there but the question would be are they good enough to tie up a scholarship for several years. With Howard, you get a grad transfer. You tie up a schollie for a year and get a guy who knows the system, knows the zone, is a viable practice player, and generally won’t hurt you when he is on the court. His assist to turnover ratio was a hair over 2:1 and while everyone loves Kadary, his was a hair under 2:1. So, Howard at least gives you a steadying presence at the point, if not much scoring.

we don’t know whether or not he left out of disloyalty. He might have gotten “the talk” and for all we know, JB may have made calls on his behalf.

if the coaches like him and they have an open spot, they might be willing to throw him a bone in the form of a free graduate year. I would be inclined to think that they also did that for Bourama, except that he had said he wouldn’t return unless he was healthy enough to play. So hopefully his legs will be good to go.

In my mind, we need a fourth guard unless Chaz can play there. Truth be told, I really don’t know what Chaz is...a 3 maybe? Not sure. But if we want another guard from the portal and only for one year, Howard may be worth a look depending again upon what JB wants.
I concur.

10 scholie players right now and 4 are centers. Although Ajak and Jesse could get work at the 4 during practice.
Sort of funny where the past 2 years a forward got the most time at center. While a center won't get the MOST time at pf, 1 or 2 could get significant time at forward,

I don't know that Symir is going to be a 'non-scorer'. Remember he was a 75th ranked recruit compared to 88th for Kadari and Howard #289, (per 24/7). He's not going to be the shooter Joe or Buddy is but that doesn't mean that he can't score. Check this out:

Analysis: How Symir Torrence Fits at Syracuse - Sports Illustrated Syracuse Orange News, Analysis and More

"Torrence is a true point guard who brings an attitude to the position. He plays with a chip on his shoulder, is a strong, physical guard and has above average length for a point guard. Torrence is adept at taking a defender off the dribble and getting into the lane. He can finish at the rim, hit a floater in the lane or set up his teammates for open shots. He is strong enough to finish through contact as well.

Make no mistake, while Torrence can score, he is a pass first point guard with strong court vision. He can run half court sets, lead a fast break, or break down a defense off the bounce.

As a jump shooter, Torrence is solid. He shot 37.5% from three point range as a freshman at Marquette, but that dipped to 13.9% as a sophomore. Torrence has good shooting form and showed the ability to make the outside shot as a high schooler. He can still work on this area but the truth regarding percentage is probably somewhere in the middle.

As a defender, Torrence is physical on the ball, is quick in his lateral movement has the length to cause deflections. His strength should also help prevent opposing guards from getting into the lane. The skill set shows potential within the zone."

I'd love to get Howard back as a fourth guard. Everybody is looking for a place to start. We don't have one. He obviously didn't find one at South Alabama. he would know his role here. I think he's be a perfect fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom