Let’s Talk Starting Lineup on Defense | Syracusefan.com

Let’s Talk Starting Lineup on Defense

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Stephen Bailey wrote a nice article on this topic a few days ago.

I don’t think there is much controversy for most of the positions...

DE Black
DT Williams
DE Jonathan
SAM Linton
MIKE Cantin-Arku
WILL Jones
CB Melifonwu
CB
CB
BS Coley
FS
ROVER Cisco

I don’t think there is any surprise at all with the 3 DL positions. The only thing to talk about here is who the backups will be. I am guessing it will be Tuazama and Roscoe at DE and Harper at DT.

At linebacker, it looks like Tyrell Richards has fallen behind Mikel Jones at the WILL position. But Bailey says ‘Jones also said the inside ’backers have repped in multiple different pairings during camp. Other potential contributors include redshirt junior Tyrell Richards and sophomore Lee Kpogba.’

Does this mean only Cantin-Arku’s starting position remains in doubt? I don’t think so. I would be surprised if Richards was working at the MIKE. Maybe Kpogba. I think he meant Richards and Kpogba are also working with the first team in camp. Could see Richards playing more at WILL against run oriented offenses and Jones more against pass oriented offenses.

My guess is that Richards is the second team WILL right now but will get playing time. My guess is that Kpogba is the backup MIKE. What about the backup SAM? Well, I think it has to be a freshman. You have Goulbourne, who as a red-shirt frosh is the dean of the remaining LBs. Then you have a bunch of true freshmen: Kinsler (who is listed as a DL but who is listed at 213 pounds, which makes me classify him as an LB for now anyway), Lowery, Sparrow, Thompson and Wax. I have no idea which of these players is even practicing at the SAM position.

I think the staff is looking for some length and ability to pass rush here. I think Sparrow, Thompson and Wax are more MIKE or WILL types. So it probably comes down to Goulbourne or Lowery. I will pencil Lowery in for now as he is a little taller and heavier and probably more ready to play physically right now. But if Linton needs a blow, I bet Richards, the Red-shirt junior veteran of the LBs, would probably fill in. Pretty sure he has worked there before.

Let’s move on to the secondary. Iffy is one of the CBs. That appears to be a given. Coley is apparently going to play boundary safety, the new name we are using for the strong safety position. Cisco is apparently going to play the Rover position, aka Aztec in the San Diego State defense.

We know Trill is going to play and be a big part of the defense. The question is where? Bailey points out he could play CB or safety and was listed as a safety in an SU writeup of the second scrimmage. I am going with this. I think Trill is going to be the free safety. Smurf Greenwood was listed as the starting FS in the spring and my guess is that he is the backup now.

So that gives us 4 of the starters in the secondary. It begs the question though...who is going to be the other starter at CB? Did Coley give a clue mentioning Jonas and Carter as other secondary players who have stuck out this preseason?

I can’t see Jonas playing CB. He is 6’2, 210 and I think he has worked as a safety exclusively during his time at Syracuse. I would guess he is the backup boundary (strong) safety. Carter’s HS coach said he was recruited by SU as a safety but that he had the ability to play CB as well. He might be in the mix for this spot. Cole and G Williams were listed as the backup CBs in the spring depth chart SU released. They are both clearly CBs. Both are red shirt frosh who have had some time in the program.

Bailey also mentions Neil Nunn and Ben Labrosse as players who are in the mix. Could either of these guys play CB? Well, Nunn is only listed at 180 pounds. That would make it tough for him to play safety at this point in his career. His bio says he can play CB or safety. Labrosse’ s bio also says he can play CB or safety.

So, if Trill ends up playing FS, as Stephen seems to be implying, the other CB could be Williams or Cole. Or Carter. Or Nunn or Labrosse. That isn’t exactly going out on a limb. My guess, based on several comments from different players, is that Neil Nunnis going to be the guy here. There is a buzz about hm. He was heavily recruited. He played HS ball at the highest level. He has some time playing at the college level.

I know the staff loves Labrosse and has big plans for him. I think he is probably the ROVER next year, assuming Cisco goes pro as expected.

So with all that said, my best guess at a depth chart for the defense looks like this:

DE Jonathan/Roscoe
DT M Williams/Harper
DE Black/Tuazama
WILL M Jones/Richards
MIKE Cantin-Arku/Kpogba
SAM Linton/Richards (Lowery)
CB Melifonwu/Williams
CB Nunn/Cole
BS Coley/Jonas
FS T Williams/Greenwood or Carter
ROVER Cisco/Labrosse

This would be a unit with excellent size and athletic ability. The DL has lots of experience. The secondary has 3 guys with a ton of experience and some promising players in the wings. The linebackers are really inexperienced, and there isn’t much depth here. I think the unit will go as they go. Hoping they are up to the task.

Based on our roster, think it makes more sense to play Trill at CB. The only thing that makes me think he could end up at S is the SU Athletics reference...Unless DIno's playing some games through the media

Great OP.

Love Trill at safety, as much as we likely need him taking the other corner spot I think he’ll flourish at FS.

my pick for the opposite corner in Williams with Cole as backup.

No comeback for Caleb from that mystery illness last year?

Based on our roster, think it makes more sense to play Trill at CB. The only thing that makes me think he could end up at S is the SU Athletics reference...Unless DIno's playing some games through the media
I am honestly surprised he is not a lock at CB. I hope this means someone else has emerged at CB that the staff is comfortable playing a lot there.

I think there was an article written about White and his philosophy with the 3-3-5 shortly after he was hired at Syracuse where he said something to the effect of, you need to identify your 12 best athletes and get them on the field to be successful. That is one of the reasons I am thinking Nunn might be the guy.

Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up we have Nunn starting at FS and Trill at CB.

I assume a two deep will be released Monday morning. Maybe Tuesday morning because of the holiday.

No comeback for Caleb from that mystery illness last year?
I think Caleb will be part of the rotation and get some snaps. He has a great chance to start next season, when we lose all the seniors on the DL. I am guessing Roscoe was not brought in to sit on the bench. But it is hard to have an informed opinion when you have never seen so many of these guys play.

DE Black
DT Williams
DE Jonathan
SAM Linton
MIKE Cantin-Arku
WILL Jones
CB Melifonwu
CB
CB
BS Coley
FS
ROVER Cisco

I don’t think there is any surprise at all with the 3 DL positions. The only thing to talk about here is who the backups will be. I am guessing it will be Tuazama and Roscoe at DE and Harper at DT.

At linebacker, it looks like Tyrell Richards has fallen behind Mikel Jones at the WILL position. But Bailey says ‘Jones also said the inside ’backers have repped in multiple different pairings during camp. Other potential contributors include redshirt junior Tyrell Richards and sophomore Lee Kpogba.’

Does this mean only Cantin-Arku’s starting position remains in doubt? I don’t think so. I would be surprised if Richards was working at the MIKE. Maybe Kpogba. I think he meant Richards and Kpogba are also working with the first team in camp. Could see Richards playing more at WILL against run oriented offenses and Jones more against pass oriented offenses.

My guess is that Richards is the second team WILL right now but will get playing time. My guess is that Kpogba is the backup MIKE. What about the backup SAM? Well, I think it has to be a freshman. You have Goulbourne, who as a red-shirt frosh is the dean of the remaining LBs. Then you have a bunch of true freshmen: Kinsler (who is listed as a DL but who is listed at 213 pounds, which makes me classify him as an LB for now anyway), Lowery, Sparrow, Thompson and Wax. I have no idea which of these players is even practicing at the SAM position.

I think the staff is looking for some length and ability to pass rush here. I think Sparrow, Thompson and Wax are more MIKE or WILL types. So it probably comes down to Goulbourne or Lowery. I will pencil Lowery in for now as he is a little taller and heavier and probably more ready to play physically right now. But if Linton needs a blow, I bet Richards, the Red-shirt junior veteran of the LBs, would probably fill in. Pretty sure he has worked there before.

Let’s move on to the secondary. Iffy is one of the CBs. That appears to be a given. Coley is apparently going to play boundary safety, the new name we are using for the strong safety position. Cisco is apparently going to play the Rover position, aka Aztec in the San Diego State defense.

We know Trill is going to play and be a big part of the defense. The question is where? Bailey points out he could play CB or safety and was listed as a safety in an SU writeup of the second scrimmage. I am going with this. I think Trill is going to be the free safety. Smurf Greenwood was listed as the starting FS in the spring and my guess is that he is the backup now.

So that gives us 4 of the starters in the secondary. It begs the question though...who is going to be the other starter at CB? Did Coley give a clue mentioning Jonas and Carter as other secondary players who have stuck out this preseason?

I can’t see Jonas playing CB. He is 6’2, 210 and I think he has worked as a safety exclusively during his time at Syracuse. I would guess he is the backup boundary (strong) safety. Carter’s HS coach said he was recruited by SU as a safety but that he had the ability to play CB as well. He might be in the mix for this spot. Cole and G Williams were listed as the backup CBs in the spring depth chart SU released. They are both clearly CBs. Both are red shirt frosh who have had some time in the program.

Bailey also mentions Neil Nunn and Ben Labrosse as players who are in the mix. Could either of these guys play CB? Well, Nunn is only listed at 180 pounds. That would make it tough for him to play safety at this point in his career. His bio says he can play CB or safety. Labrosse’ s bio also says he can play CB or safety.

So, if Trill ends up playing FS, as Stephen seems to be implying, the other CB could be Williams or Cole. Or Carter. Or Nunn or Labrosse. That isn’t exactly going out on a limb. My guess, based on several comments from different players, is that Neil Nunnis going to be the guy here. There is a buzz about hm. He was heavily recruited. He played HS ball at the highest level. He has some time playing at the college level.

I know the staff loves Labrosse and has big plans for him. I think he is probably the ROVER next year, assuming Cisco goes pro as expected.

So with all that said, my best guess at a depth chart for the defense looks like this:

DE Jonathan/Roscoe
DT M Williams/Harper
DE Black/Tuazama
WILL M Jones/Richards
MIKE Cantin-Arku/Kpogba
CB Melifonwu/Williams
CB Nunn/Cole
BS Coley/Jonas
ROVER Cisco/Labrosse

This would be a unit with excellent size and athletic ability. The DL has lots of experience. The secondary has 3 guys with a ton of experience and some promising players in the wings. The linebackers are really inexperienced, and there isn’t much depth here. I think the unit will go as they go. Hoping they are up to the task.
Trill riover

I do not see Cisco as the rover. To me the rover seems to be similar to a small lb 6’1 to 6’3 220. Needs to be able to assist in run support along with pass defense. I really initially thought Jones but with him gaining weight not sure anymore.

I am honestly surprised he is not a lock at CB. I hope this means someone else has emerged at CB that the staff is comfortable playing a lot there.

I think there was an article written about White and his philosophy with the 3-3-5 shortly after he was hired at Syracuse where he said something to the effect of, you need to identify your 12 best athletes and get them on the field to be successful. That is one of the reasons I am thinking Nunn might be the guy.

Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up we have Nunn starting at FS and Trill at CB.

I assume a two deep will be released Monday morning. Maybe Tuesday morning because of the holiday.
It would be great to have trill at cb.
Cb iffy
Cb trill
S cisco
S Jonas
R Cooley

Trill riover
Yup

Trill -> Rover
Dre -> Field/free safety
Coley -> Boundary/Strong safety
Iffy -> Field CB
TBD -> Boundary CB

I have no idea who TBD is but I would bet a mortgage payment on the other four

It would be great to have trill at cb.
Cb iffy
Cb trill
S cisco
S Jonas
R Cooley
Need size at Rover. Trill Cooley Jonas Cisco Labroose all fit the bill. The RS senior forgot his name, big hitter as well.

Whatever the lineup is on D I hope we stop getting beat by play action and trick plays. Man we fell for it seemingly every time.

well the big play that defined the season was the FSU one and we didnt really get tricked but it sure turned out bad.

How we apply pressure is what I am most interested in seeing. Collapsing and containing pocket.

DE Black
DT Williams
DE Jonathan
SAM Linton
MIKE Cantin-Arku
WILL Jones and/or Richards
CB Melifonwu
CB G. Williams
BS Coley
FS Cisco
ROVER Trill
I mean that looks interesting and all but I really feel like we'd have a big edge if we figured out a way to sneak a 12th guy into the field.

Need size at Rover. Trill Cooley Jonas Cisco Labroose all fit the bill. The RS senior forgot his name, big hitter as well.
Clarke

I think there was an article written about White and his philosophy with the 3-3-5 shortly after he was hired at Syracuse where he said something to the effect of, you need to identify your 12 best athletes and get them on the field to be successful.
12 players against 11. Genius! We’re going to be unbeatable!

DE Black
DT Williams
DE Jonathan
SAM Linton
MIKE Cantin-Arku
WILL Jones
CB Melifonwu
CB
CB
BS Coley
FS
ROVER Cisco

DE Jonathan/Roscoe
DT M Williams/Harper
DE Black/Tuazama
WILL M Jones/Richards
MIKE Cantin-Arku/Kpogba
CB Melifonwu/Williams
CB Nunn/Cole
BS Coley/Jonas
ROVER Cisco/Labrosse

This lineup is exciting, my one question is black bc he has been bouncing between dt and de and tuzauna seems to be much longer, dynamic and athletic. I love j. Black but wonder if he has slimmed and sped up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom