Manhattan Gameday... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Manhattan Gameday...

Gait said Riley had a stomach bug. Hopefully that’s all, massive game next Saturday

Stomach bug is fine, was concerned for a muscle or ligament injury. He's hyper critical for this season, if he gets hurt it's game over

I hope we're able to pack the stands next Saturday. I'm aware there's a time overlap with our men's basketball team facing a 10-13 Georgia Tech squad on the road, but there's more on the line in the Dome. One could argue this is our biggest regular season game (or even post-season game in years...let's be serious, we haven't had a F4 level team since the "Ben Williams" squad lost to Hopkins approximately 8 years ago). Stating the obvious, it will be a great litmus test to find if the program is indeed "back".

Last edited:
Random thoughts …

-Offense looked very good once again. Spallina looked great and didn’t look like he even broke a sweat. It doesn’t look like the offense runs through him per se, it’s just that he always seems to make the right pass, or take the right shot. It’s pretty remarkable.
-one bummer was when things slowed down as Manhattan moved to a zone defense. Surprised that Syracuse struggled with it, given that their MO is ball movement and good shooting. Might be something to watch though unclear how many teams will play it against them. Goalie made some nice saves, but still would have expected more.
-not sure the stats but the EMO hasn’t looked right. Not sure what it is. Birtwistle was back out there today which was good to see. Might just need a few games to lock in.
-nitpicky but it’s kind of a shame we haven’t seen Deere more involved with the second unit. Not advocating for him to see more minutes, I’d just like to see what he can do. Ball hardly comes for him when he is out there.
-nice game for the defense, though it didn’t look like the Jaspers were really up for it. They waited till the shot clock was all the way down before making a move to the goal on most possessions. Still I was impressed with Carter Rice, he looks like a different player out there this year. Fast, aggressive and is making really good decisions.
-really hope Figueiras is okay.
-I feel like each time I see him play, Caccamo looks like a pretty good defender. I’m not sure why he’s playing behind Kol still. Not giving him the starting spot before Maryland might be a missed opportunity.

Difficultly level goes way up next week, but this three week stretch gave us a lot to be hopeful for.

Good post as usual. Agree with just about everything.

I could be wrong but in the 2nd half SU didn't seem to have much of a sense of urgency and definitely appeared to call of the dogs midway through the third.

That said my concern would be that much like last year they had a large time period in the 2nd half where the O ground to a halt and we did appear to struggle with the zone some. I tend to put that more on SU offense just kinda taking whatever shot or look presented itself first versus the gorgeous ball movement we saw in the 1st half. Still I hope if we see a zone again were looking to work in Kellogg and let him unleash a few lazers.

Thought defensively team played pretty well. Kol again got lulled to sleep on a possession and also slide for absolutely no reason causing a goal. Good to see a lot of ssdms out there getting run. They got beat a few times but Mark bailed them out.

Fogos were again outstanding, to the point u were surprised they actually lost a draw. Kohn looks uber confident out there. Wierman is a monumental upgrade from anyone we've seen to date, gonna be a fascinating matchup.

Liked that English had a good game and seemed more involved, hes a huge component this year I worry a little about Thomson vs Maryland and Army, he can get swallowed up against really good defenses and I assume teams are gonna poll English or Leo. He was pretty quiet yesterday but that's gonna happen.

All in all very encouraging start to the year. Birtwistle getting back to run some rust is a great sign. Few areas to work on and address especially defensively but so far so good.

Anyone catch the UVA game? They seem to steamroll Michigan. ACC is going to be a real slog this year, excited to watch it play out.

Anyone catch the UVA game? They seem to steamroll Michigan. ACC is going to be a real slog this year, excited to watch it play out.

UVA looked very good. Michigan looked overmatched all over the field. On offense they couldn't seem to hold on to the ball. On defense, no one could win their matchup. Despite matching up pretty well size wise, UVA seemed to bully them all over the field. Michigan may have been reading their pre-season accolades too much.

Was really impressed with John Schroter, think he had three caused turnovers just by going over the head of Michigan attackmen. The Cavs defense is huge, all three guys are over 6'5. I am sure this team has weak spots (Nunes who has been a bit up and down was really good) but they weren't very apparent against Michigan. I think the Wolverines took the wrong approaches on defense (not sliding at all), so a different defense might cause UVA some headaches. Still very early.

UVA looked very good. Michigan looked overmatched all over the field. On offense they couldn't seem to hold on to the ball. On defense, no one could win their matchup. Despite matching up pretty well size wise, UVA seemed to bully them all over the field. Michigan may have been reading their pre-season accolades too much.

Was really impressed with John Schroter, think he had three caused turnovers just by going over the head of Michigan attackmen. The Cavs defense is huge, all three guys are over 6'5. I am sure this team has weak spots (Nunes who has been a bit up and down was really good) but they weren't very apparent against Michigan. I think the Wolverines took the wrong approaches on defense (not sliding at all), so a different defense might cause UVA some headaches. Still very early.
Thanks Powellfan, appreciate it. Curious how we might fare, given how we looked vs Mich and the beatdown UVA handed them. Guess we will see in a few weeks :)

UVa’s defense was fantastic in 1v1 situations. Michigan’s players held onto the ball way too long and got eaten up. Cuse will need to continue to move the ball like crazy to have success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom