Marc Stein reporting.. | Syracusefan.com

Marc Stein reporting..

Ugh. No, please. Hate Heat fans.

Someone else deserves that type of team.

(Should add I don't hate if you are a fan of the Heat because of Lebron, that's bandwagony and all, but whatever. I'm saying I hate HEAT fans a.k.a. they were around for 06 and then disppeared for 5 years. The ones that ran out during game 6 last year.)

Probably the best thing Melo could do. Of course they still need a point guard and someone to play defense.

This would just be overkill. The NBA would be a joke. I get Wade is nothing more than a complimentary player now but with Lebron, Melo and Bosh with Ray Allen and Birdman out there. What. Not to mention talented vets will be whoring themselves out to Miami for the minimum lol.

Now if this plan gets hatched in New York.. Different story haha.

Horrible idea. I want Melo to succeed as much as the next guy, but a "Yankee-like" payroll stacked maneuver in the NBA would totally suck, IMO. I think it would ruin the game.
It's like those guys who go to a playground, stack the best players on their squad, & then have "next" for the whole day. Oh Lord

Probably the best thing Melo could do. Of course they still need a point guard and someone to play defense.

I would hate it, but it probably is a great choice for Melo.

If I were a Heat fan I would be worried about how much Wade would be getting since he basically is on a 2/3rds regular season plan at this point and will probably continue to be dinged up even with that restricted playing.

I just think if you really want to win a title in the NBA, you either need to be on the Heat (or whatever team LeBron is on), the Spurs or OKC at this point. I don't think adding Melo to Houston, Chicago, Dallas, etc really puts you into legitimate title contention.

This would just be overkill. The NBA would be a joke. I get Wade is nothing more than a complimentary player now but with Lebron, Melo and Bosh with Ray Allen and Birdman out there. What. Not to mention talented vets will be whoring themselves out to Miami for the minimum lol.

Now if this plan gets hatched in New York.. Different story haha.

Totally agree. It would be making a total mockery of the NBA if this were to occur. The Heat are already in their 4th consecutive Finals even without Melo. And they have a great chance of winning their 3rd straight title (even last night when the Spurs were playing out of their mind with a historic shooting half, the Heat still were able to cut the lead to 7 by the 3rd quarter). Anyway the Spurs are on their last leg with their own aging "Big-Three". What would the point of playing the season next year if this were to happen? The Heat would be a lock to reach the Finals, and would be the heavy favorite to win again.

And why would Lebron want to do this? Doesn't he want any kind of challenge whatsoever? He already has shown he can win multiple titles without Melo, so why does he need him? What would the point be? And won't that hurt his legacy in terms of all the Jordan comparisons? Who would ever consider Lebron as the "best-ever" if he wins 4-5 more titles with a starting lineup comprised of All-Stars?

And why would Wade and Bosh want to take pay cuts to accommodate Melo? Wade has 3 rings already, with a 4th one possible this year (and has been in 5 Finals). His career is winding down--does he really want to give up a big chunk of his last big contract for another ring? How special could a 5th ring really be if he has already won 4? And Bosh, he'll have at least 2 rings, maybe 3. Plus, he becomes the 4th option with Melo--basically a role player. It definitely would hurt his offensive numbers before he gets around to signing his last big contract. The point is that I could see Melo taking a cut as he has never won a title; but why would Wade/Bosh be so generous to give up a lot of dough for Melo after winning 3-4 rings each already (assuming they win this year).

If I were Commissioner Silver, I would attempt to block it to save the integrity of the game . I know I wouldn't even be able to watch the Heat anymore as it would just be sickening.

Last edited:
Total agree. It would be making a total mockery of the NBA if this were to occur. The Heat are already in their 4th consecutive Finals even without Melo. And they have a great chance of winning another title this year (even last night when the Spurs were playing out of their mind with a historic shooting half, the Heat still were able to cut the lead to 7 by the 3rd quarter). Anyway the Spurs are on their last leg with their own aging "Big-Three". What would the point of playing the season next year if this were to happen? The Heat would be a lock to reach the Finals, and would be the heavy favorite to win again.

And why would Lebron want to do this? Doesn't he want any kind of challenge whatsoever? He already has shown he can win multiple titles without Melo, so why does he need him? What would the point be? And won't that hurt his legacy in terms of all the Jordan comparisons? Who would ever consider Lebron as the "best-ever" if he wins 4-5 more titles with a starting lineup comprised of All-Stars?

And why would Wade and Bosh want to take pay cuts to accommodate Melo? Wade has 3 rings already, with a 4th one possible this year (and has been in 5 Finals). His career is winding down--does he really want to give up a big chunk of his last big contract for another ring? How special could a 4th ring be if he has won 3? And Bosh, he'll have at least 2 ring, maybe 3. Plus, he becomes the 4th option with Melo--basically a role player. It definitely would hurt his offensive numbers before he gets around to signing his last big contract. The point is that I could see Melo taking a cut as he has never won a title; but why would Wade/Bosh be so generous to give up a lot of dough for Melo after winning 3-4 rings each already (assuming they win this year).

If I were Commissioner Silver, I would attempt to block it to save the integrity of the game . I know I wouldn't even be able to watch the Heat anymore as it would just be sickening.
Well said and I completely agree however, we both know that as much as people say they will boycott/won't watch, the Heat next year would be a traveling circus with ratings through the roof.

If melo says screw the money and these 4 pair up to win rings good for them. Sucks as a knick fan but honestly seeing melo win a ring is cool regardless of where. Lebron and co are hard to hate outside chalmers. It would be good for melos off court career after hoops as well. Go for it I say.

I desperately want Melo in Chicago, with a healthy Rose and maybe add Ennis as a backup PG. That would be a damn fine team.

However if Melo goes to Miami...what's to stop them from basically running Wade and LBJ out there as "point guards" the same way the Bulls sometimes did with MJ and Pippen? I know they had Paxson, Armstrong, etc, but Pip and MJ brought the ball up as much as anyone.

Either one would be fun. Rose cant seem to go 10 games without breaking something is my concern there.

Bird (draft chicanery)
McHale (trade)
Parish (trade)
Dennis Johnson (trade)
Walton (forced trade)

Yeah, how *dare* the Heat make a mockery of assembling a team!

Personally speaking, I think it would be bad for the league. These "redeem teamers" apparently took the wrong lesson from their olympic experience. Namely, if you can't beat the opposition, then stack the deck as much as possible to make it impossible to lose.

Instead of going the traditional superstar route and building a team around a foundational player [or two], they are manipulating the system to build super teams against which teams that don't have the luxury of matching from a free agency desirability standpoint can't keep up in the arms race. That's not good for the competitive balance of the league, IMO.

But its exactly how they learned to operate as a function of their olympic experience.

Yeah its tough. Do we accept that we are in a time of reduced parity and go with it or is it time to say lets have more competition? From 5th through 25th there was a ton of parity this year when you watch the games aside from actual records. But the top 4 were head and shoulders better with miami far ahead with their big 3 and san antonio holding the last true "team" and "strategy" candle. It would be bad for the league to an extent but its somewhat a return to the celtics lakers monster teams. Jordan Pippen; Kobe Shaq; Drexler Olajuwon; Duncan Robinson .. you had the era of dynamic duos and post play domination. Now again maybe its the super team celtic laker cycle coming back. The power of mass markets, money etc will always rule professional sports the way nyc, dc, la and chicago rule the economy and draw the best and brightest. Just an inevitable outcome. And I wholeheartedly agree with you RF. Kind of an accept what is reality moment. Accepting Melo in miami is a throw up in the mouth moment..

"If you can't beat the opposition, then stack the deck as much as possible to make it impossible to lose."

Whats wrong with that? The point is to win isnt it? They wouldnt be cheating. They arent using PEDs. The teams they play against have access to the same pool of players. The point is winning within the rules.

I don't necessarily prefer the idea of stacking the deck, but how often have people complained about guys putting the money before the winning. These guys getting together would be putting the winning first, just as it was when the first three got together. I would rather see Melo play with a healthy Rose and see what could come of that. I think with their role players and defense, adding Melo would give them the scoring to give the Heat fits and make for a great rivalry, but if he decides to play with his buddy in South Beach, I can't blame him.

Last edited:
"If you can't beat the opposition, then stack the deck as much as possible to make it impossible to lose."

Whats wrong with that? The point is to win isnt it? They wouldnt be cheating. They arent using PEDs. The teams they play against have access to the same pool of players. The point is winning within the rules.

What's wrong wih that is that apparently you have't been following the NBA for the last 5 years. "If you can't beat the opposition"? The Heat have won 4 consecutive Eastern Conference Titles and could very well be on their way to their 3rd consecutive NBA Championship after winning the last 2 years. Where did you get the idea they can't beat the opposition? And I already outlined above what was wrong with it. Bascially it comes down to saving the integrity of the game (or at the very least, a semblence of some competitive spirit). Why would anyone even follow the NBA anymore if you knew in advance who was going to win the Title? Obviously if they win every year without Melo, they would continue to win with him through the end of the decade.

I desperately want Melo in Chicago, with a healthy Rose and maybe add Ennis as a backup PG. That would be a damn fine team.

However if Melo goes to Miami...what's to stop them from basically running Wade and LBJ out there as "point guards" the same way the Bulls sometimes did with MJ and Pippen? I know they had Paxson, Armstrong, etc, but Pip and MJ brought the ball up as much as anyone.

They play some no PG lineups now anyway, so my guess is you'd see even more of them. Stick a lineup out there with the big 4 plus Allen in a corner. Basically unguardable, especially with Melo's improved 3 point shot.

I don't think this is going to end up happening; though it is crazy to think about.

As far as the integrity of the game; we do know the Celtics won 8 titles in a row and 11 of 13 in the late 50's/60's, right? The NBA has pretty much always been a league where 2 or 3 teams at the top of the league have the best chance of winning the title. This would seemingly take it to the extreme though. I must say, it would kind of be funny if Miami wins the title this year, they add Melo, and they don't win next year. Just to hear how it's everyone's fault but Melo's.

What's wrong wih that is that apparently you have't been following the NBA for the last 5 years. "If you can't beat the opposition"? The Heat have won 4 consecutive Eastern Conference Titles and could very well be on their way to their 3rd consecutive NBA Championship after winning the last 2 years. Where did you get the idea they can't beat the opposition? And I already outlined above what was wrong with it. Bascially it comes down to saving the integrity of the game (or at the very least, a semblence of some competitive spirit). Why would anyone even follow the NBA anymore if you knew in advance who was going to win the Title? Obviously if they win every year without Melo, they would continue to win with him through the end of the decade.

He was actually quoting something from my post.

And that was in reference to the olympics / USA basketball.

I hate the "super team idea". It's a cop out if you ask me, and the reason I never root for Lebron as it is. People complained about the Yankees for years in baseball, this wouldn't be any different. Melo should team up with Love or someone else. Nobody will have a chance if him and Lebron are on the same team with Bosh and Wade.

If players are willing to take a salary deduction to win titles I have no problem with it what so ever. It's kind of cool that players can be in control of their own destiny's.

They play some no PG lineups now anyway, so my guess is you'd see even more of them. Stick a lineup out there with the big 4 plus Allen in a corner. Basically unguardable, especially with Melo's improved 3 point shot.

I don't think this is going to end up happening; though it is crazy to think about.

As far as the integrity of the game; we do know the Celtics won 8 titles in a row and 11 of 13 in the late 50's/60's, right? The NBA has pretty much always been a league where 2 or 3 teams at the top of the league have the best chance of winning the title. This would seemingly take it to the extreme though. I must say, it would kind of be funny if Miami wins the title this year, they add Melo, and they don't win next year. Just to hear how it's everyone's fault but Melo's.
Re: your last point, let's also not forget that if Jordan hadn't stepped away for two years the Bulls probably woulda won 8 in a row too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom