Marrone ... Gone...NOT Gone | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Marrone ... Gone...NOT Gone

She must feel stupid
She was accused by the ex-Redskins GM’s ex-wife of sleeping with a source within the Redskins.
I don’t trust Russini.

Hmmm. But Bills fans say he sucked so why the butt-hurt?

Inferiority complex based on decades of misery.

Inferiority complex based on decades of misery.
In 1996 I lived in Buvalo. I watched SU lose to Kentucky in the NCAA finals with a Bills fan. At the end if the game he says, “Syracuse is like Buffalo. They will never win the championship.” Then 2003 hapoened.

In 1996 I lived in Buvalo. I watched SU lose to Kentucky in the NCAA finals with a Bills fan. At the end if the game he says, “Syracuse is like Buffalo. They will never win the championship.” Then 2003 hapoened.

Do Bills fans consider their 1964 and 1966 teams champions? Or do they discount that because they weren't NFL champions? I wonder the same thing about Houston (1960-61) and San Diego (1963). Dallas won the 1962 AFL title but that team immediately moved to Kansas City and the Cowboys have won 5 Super Bowls so I don't imagine Dallas fans think much of the '62 Texans.

I feel like this bears repeating . . . he took the JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS to the AFC championship game. That's so impressive that they made a joke about it in The Good Place.

THIS.

Why it was so funny, was because it was so inexplicably TRUE.
That was a thing, that actually happened.

BORTLES!!!! :p

If I remember correctly he only won this because he actually answered the phone call when it came in.

Yeah he and rapist protector Briles were the two who responded to whatever it was ESPN asked them. Guess they made the right choice between those two

Marrone was the man. He took a total dump of a program and somehow made us respectable again. It kills me that he left but how can you blame him for coaching at the highest level. I hope one day we get a coach that’s close to what he was

Do Bills fans consider their 1964 and 1966 teams champions? Or do they discount that because they weren't NFL champions? I wonder the same thing about Houston (1960-61) and San Diego (1963). Dallas won the 1962 AFL title but that team immediately moved to Kansas City and the Cowboys have won 5 Super Bowls so I don't imagine Dallas fans think much of the '62 Texans.

Possibly the 60+ crowd but no one younger does.

If they don't get him a QB he won't last another year. I think Marrone is an above average HC, but other than Nassib, he's never had anything close to an adequate QB

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO of what Doug Marrone and David Caldwell have been doing to Tom Coughlin since November.

giphy.gif

Who was he forced to retain, especially after Hackett bolted?

I don’t recall Shafer being forced to retain anybody.

I know he wanted his own staff and was very pleased with the group he put together.

I recall one new assistant commenting that the new group would be far more intense than the Marrone staff.

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO of what Doug Marrone and David Caldwell have been doing to Tom Coughlin since November.

giphy.gif

I think they reported on ESPN that Coughlin was imposing fines and essentially messing with the normal chain of command.

Mac left SU in tremendous shape. He had recruited remarkably well in the late 80s and the program was stocked with talent all over the field. He also had a staff full of potential replacements. And, of course, the guy who did replace him went on to have an 8 year run that was (a) better than the run Mac had, and (b) as good as any HC in SU history aside from Coach Ben.

Exactly none of that applies to Marrone.

Coach Mac inherited a brand new Dome stadium that was a true game changer for recruiting at the time.

Marrone never had that kind of advantage.

Just the opposite really - he was saddled with facilities that were near the bottom of, if not at the bottom of a weakened Big East.

It took Mac five years to get to the Cherry Bowl and two more years to get the attention of the NFL.

Marrone was an NFL HC candidate before he got the SU job - he already had the NFL’s attention.

I think they both left for the money. But I think that was Mac’s primary motivation.

Marrone was motivated by a number of factors.

He left too soon to leave behind a well established program - that’s true.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom